Moving to TO from BC - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Canada' started by joneswgareth, Nov 11, 2019.

1. joneswgareth

joneswgareth Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer:
    Hello all

End of December I am relocating from BC to Toronto and need some local knowledge from anyone feeling helpful!?!

Have a KTM 350EXC and thinking about either driving across with a trailer with it and lots more items or just selling items and bikes and bringing just the truck to make the journey easier/less risky. I love the bike, but is it necessary for riding out there? Seems like there is some new rules regarding riding off road registered bikes riding on/across the highway so how much riding can be done on trails, forests, service roads etc in just an off road motorcycle? Good idea to sell here and buy something when I get out there? Cheaper to insure an XC over EXC? What kind of riding do you have? Also interested in getting back into Enduro's and mild competition - is there much going on there close to TO? I have three young kids and a wife see so it's not like I can travel every weekend for selfish fun haha.

Any advice is much appreciated. I am basically looking for a good mix of technical riding and a good pace with likeminded people and bringing my kids into it slowly too.

Cheers all

Gareth
    Maggot12 and gpfan like this.
  2. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WHY? WHY? WHY would you move from BC to Toronto? I have to be here for work. I hope you don't have a choice in the matter. I might be a little negative right now, was side swiped (hit n run) on the highway saturday. Aggressive, out of control driving is normal here. My son and I are very lucky that our van wasn't spun around or flipped when the idiot hit us while passing.
    I sold all of our dirt bikes about a month ago. My kids are busy with other sports, which leaves little time to pack up dirt bikes and drive a minimum of 1.5 hours out of the city to go for a ride. Then you have to battle your way back into the city. Makes for a full day, just to go for out for a ride for a couple of hours. In other words, if you live near the downtown, you won't be going for any half day outings...
    Its easier/cheaper for me to take the kids and rent bikes near Barrie a couple times a year.
    Sorry again if negative, I really miss a much calmer lifestyle and the outdoors. Off topic but I have a friend in Sointula on Malcolm Island, such a beautiful area you're in.
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Condolences.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    First of all, good luck with the move. What part of the city, GTA? I lived in the Barrie area from 12-16. Victoria before that 2008-2012.

Don't think I'd want to be much south of Barrie and expect to get much dirt riding in without trailering north. If you live in TO, it's a major pain in the cunt to get in and out of the city. I drove downtown twice on a bike and I obviously didn't learn my lesson the first time.

Personally, if I weren't emotionally attached to the bike, trailer and the other stuff, I'd sell it all, if not taking too much of a hit and hassle of re-purchasing. I'd also be scared every night that the bike and trailer wouldn't be there in the morning.

Chances are, replacing all the stuff will be cheaper in Ontario. Insurance will be cheaper.

I've moved every 4 yrs for the last 12. With motorcycles, I always sold before I left, and waited till new destination and figured what type of riding I'd be doing and buy a bike based on that.

2 650 VStroms in BC, all sport tourers in Ont. CBF1000, 1250 Bandit, FJR1300. I'm bikeless at the moment, expecting another move in 2020. Could be BC or Ont, or Wpg, or Yellowknife, or Cold Lake Alberta.

Toronto is a an awesome city. The vib and pro sports is incredible.
    Argus16 and gpfan like this.
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yes...

gpfan likes this.
  6. joneswgareth

Oddometer:
    Holy! This is not a jolly reply! Sorry to hear of your misfortune, that is awful.

I used to live and ride in central London (UK) and used the motorcycle daily to commute round the city. Found it fun but I know TO has the climate and the railcar tracks to be wary of and of course bad drivers everywhere. I dont mind travelling a distance to get out the city to the riding areas but it will for sure be different to where I am right now (30 seconds from my door is the back country).

Moving is not my decision....my wife's and her career path. She has sacrificed pretty much everything the last 8 years having kids and being a full time Mum so it's her time.
    KSO, Night_Wolf, squonker and 2 others like this.
  7. joneswgareth

Oddometer:

We are going to be living in Leslieville and moving from a town called Powell River on the Sunshine Coast. Moving will be a change of pace for sure but we are excited about the opportunity. I want to get the kids involved in learning to ride MX and dirt and looks like theres some great opportunities around the area albeit a drive out if the city.
  8. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Leslieville! PM me when you get here, or if you need anything. My garage is heated and my beer fridge is always full. And I'll try not to be so negative :D
    Night_Wolf, NorthBayPete, ACR and 5 others like this.
  9. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are in Leslieville you are down by the Beaches, that means you are looking at a good 1 1/2 hour ride to any sort of dirt. Because we are hugely multicultural the drivers are horrible and typically rude, traffic is horrible which causes mass road rage. An easy 45 minute commute from Toronto to Ganeraska can easily be increased to 2 1/2 hours on a Friday night or Saturday morning. How attached are you to the bike? If you are going to replace it with the same thing it does not make sense to sell it there and buy the same thing here. As a general thought it might easier to sell there as there is not any dirt around that area.Are you going to have the storage room, usually that is pretty tight in that area.
    DHC-2 likes this.
  10. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Maggot12 and SSBB wholeheartedly. Even sounds like I'm following Maggot's motorcycle buying/selling career. I sold the dirt bikes and the Vstrom, and I don't do rides close to the city anymore. I bought a GSX1250FA (new fangled Bandit) and I'll wait until I have a few days off and head down to Pennsylvania, WV, Ohio. I find that far more enjoyable to do 2 or 3 times per season than mess around in traffic only to come home irritated after an enjoyable ride out of the city.
    SSBB likes this.
  11. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    No
    Don’t do it
    Must be having a bad dream. :fpalm

I live in Ontario but almost 1700 kilometres west of Twanta and that’s close enuff.
    DHC-2 and SSBB like this.
  12. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You had any of those Black Lab brews? Have they opened that intersection yet?
  13. joneswgareth

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan!!!
    DHC-2 likes this.
  14. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't tried the Black Lab brews. Hibiscus, Strawberry, Rhubarb and Apricot are tasty but I don't want them in my beer. Seems popular though, all the microbreweries are doing it. Maybe I should start with a few of their Kolsch ales and see where they lead :beer
    And yes, the intersection of Queen Street and Kingston road is open.
    SSBB likes this.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's what I found when I moved to Ont. In BC I commuted yr round on the Strom. Under xx CC's kept the insurance down, and the Strom was a good Vancouver Island camping/exploring bike. Rode over to Powell River and the Sun Shine coast several times.

In Ont, spending more time on highways to get away from people ( mostly Algonquin Park) led me to the inline 4s, and Sport tourers for 2up camping. In NS, and bought another Strom and a 450EXC. Recently sold both, expecting a move, but it may be possible to stay here. I should know by Feb.

It's extremely laid back in this province. 1/2 hr from a nice coastal route no matter where you are.

Night_Wolf and gpfan like this.
  16. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't be put off by all the negatives. I lived in the Beaches in the 90s and now just east of Toronto proper. I've learned that there are always two parts to my rides. They are 1) the ride to get out to 2) the area that you can do the kind of riding and exploring you really want to do. Northern and eastern Ontario backroads and off roading are fantastic to discover and enjoy!
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I found the riding around the Muskokas, Port Carling, Huntsville, Gravenhurst etc to be among the best in the country.

Night_Wolf and gpfan like this.
  18. bobbyh

bobbyh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will probably be coming east to do some riding. Go to the motorcycle show early january and join the trail riding assoc. That will give you all the info and access you'll need to get started this spring. There's some great riding around you, 3-4 hours in any 3 directions will keep you and the kids entertained. i'd buy bikes down here just to avoid the hassle moving them. Plenty of choice. It's still a great area to raise a family, why else would the most people be here?
  19. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM 350 exc is a very good bike for the off road riding in and around the Toronto area. I live in Burlington and ride over 150hrs a year and have two young children.

Areas to ride from Toronto in order

1) Ganaraska Forest - 1 hour from Toronto a 1 year pass is $170 or $30 a day. Requires off road plate and insurance.

2) Simcoe County trails all near the City of Barrie which will be roughly 90 minute drive from where you will be living. You will need to be OFTR member will cost you $90 a year.

3) St. Williams trails. Free but 2 hours from you.

4) RJ mx track open Wednesday and weekends same distance as simcoe trails.

5) Gopher Dunes mx track 2 hours away from you.

6) Moto park mx track 2 1/2 hours from you.

7) Areas near Gooderham and Bancroft or Algonquin park. 3 hours away or more.

I ride all these places. I have a 2018 450 exc and 2019 250 xcw tpi.

You can PM me if you have questions I ride with guys who live downtown TO there’s ways to make it work.
  20. Barmtbr

Barmtbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    S.Ont is a gem for riding, Mikel42 has listed a bunch but there is more. We get lots of riders trailering up here from the US to ride. Lots of good events too.
    joneswgareth likes this.