Moving to TO from BC - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Canada' started by joneswgareth, Nov 11, 2019.

1. joneswgareth

joneswgareth Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer:
    Great insight there! Thanks!
  2. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Burnt River Offroad (outside the town of Burnt River)
    Theres a track I've heard of south of Burnt River called Alpha MX or something like that. I've never been there personally.
    Moto 86 (Wingham)
    Gore Road MX, 15mins east of outside London
    The Pit, Thamesford (between Woodstock and London)

If you really want to get into MX, you can apply to join Steel City Riders. They have a club track outside Brantford you can use 7 days a week (except the day before and day of a race, which is about 6 times a year). There's a big track, kids track, and some trails. The access to the track is awesome and if you want to race MX (or even some XC), they are super chill and family oriented, so no pressure or anything, just fun.

On the east side of TO is OCMC which is another club that holds MX, XC, and Ice racing.
  3. joneswgareth

joneswgareth Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

I used to do some big bike rallies in the UK yeaaaars ago and did plenty of adventure riding. Gradually got into smaller enduro bikes and ended up trail riding a bunch and enjoy tight single track as much as open trails and forestry roads keeping up a fair pace. I'd love to try some enduro racing in TO - not too competitive - and try out MX tracks and learn that then see where it goes. Friendly competing only though - I am 37 now and my I need my body for work! Getting the kids involved is a must.

I'll look into your suggestions, cheers!

G
  4. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your move. I can’t comment on living is Southern Ontario, seeing that I live in the middle of nowhere and have only visited that metropolis. I noticed your screen name is the same as one of my closest friends who now lives in Peterborough. He raced at the IOM in the 60s and of course his nickname is Taffy.
    joneswgareth likes this.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I learned to ride in that area with Muskoka 13 being the main one, as my best friend lived on the road. Did many a mile over that entire geographic area, you mentioned, on my cruisers & then my 1st Wee Strom. Some pretty nice riding within 30 minutes of where I live here in Alberta; Highway 40 (Highwood Pass) & the Route 66 (Bragg Creek to Powderface Trail) among my favourites
    joneswgareth likes this.
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents here:

Location: I used to live downtown. Did time in the core and slightly east of Downtown in the area you are moving to. As the GTA goes, you are arguably moving to the best possible spot over all. You are on the right side of town for easier access to the areas you want to be riding in. I use the term "easier" loosely however as the population of T.O. has exploded over the last decade. That said, you'll be in and out faster than say someone on west end. And Leslieville is best of both worlds. I personally love the down town core... I get a buzz whenever I am there. Fun place to live if you can manage it.

Bike: 350exc is bang on IMHO. You can blue plate them in Ontario which means street legal. However, I am not certain what the deal is with bringing it to Ontario. MTO can be fickle when it comes to out of province/country motos. That said if its street legal in BC, you should be fine. And personally I can't think of acooler bike to ripe around downtown on than a 350 exc ;)
    As for riding it where you actually WANT to be riding it, the area between Algonquin park and Ottawa (West to East) and Pembroke to Kingston (North to South) is one giant off road moto playground my friend. Blue plate means you can ride from trail to trail using the roads no problem. Just make sure you got your papers, are insured and have DOT tires (some coppers actually look...most dont).

If you are here as of June, definitely check out the Ottawa Valley Rally (shameless self promotional plug). Seriously though, as awesome as BC is for riding, this are of Ontario has the largest swath of easily accessible crown land in the country. :thumb:ricky
  7. 2Nr

2Nr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gareth,
    Good luck with the move , the wet coast will miss ya! I am certain that Savary won't be the same.
    Keep the rubber side down, and visit when you can.
    Stephen
    joneswgareth likes this.