Mr. Cob in Baja, short report, MANY pictures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mr. Cob, May 9, 2002.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Well I fianly got off my ass and got all my pictures loaded on to my pbase account.

http://www.pbase.com/mr_cob/r80gs_in_baja

I won't go into any great detail on the trip there isn't really that much to say other then I had a great time. The roads ranged from very good to VERY bad, the weather was delightful compared to what I left behind me in the Great northwet.

But most of all the company of my new friends Luis and Tom, who invited me to ride with them in Baja, was wonderful. Basicly our ride consisted of going down the Sea of Cortez side to just north of the border between north and south Baja, then crossing over to the Pacific side and then riding north until we headed east again on Hwy. #3 to Tecate, where we again crossed the border into the USA.

If anyone is interested in any particular details of the trip feel free to ask for them, I am not going to bore you with a novel like I wrote about my trip to Purdhoe Bay.
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! :): Did you ride the R80 down from WA?
  3. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Fish,

No I didn't ride from Washington. The roads up here were covered with ice and snow when I left for the Baja trip.

I have a friend who lives in San Jose, I loaded the R80 in the back of my rusty, mold covered old Red Neck pick-up truck and headed south.

I left the truck in San Jose, and rode the rest of the way down to Baja, from Baja I rode over to visit friends in the Phionix Airdzona area, then throught Death Valley, next Sequoia National Park, finaly back to San Jose, a total of around 3,000 miles.

The longest day was from Catavina ( Baja ) to Phionix ( Arizona ) 697.3 miles on a PD seat. My fucking ass still hurts:(:

I have included a picture I took when I got back from Baja, this is the first time I had ever driven this old rat trap of a truck more then 200 miles from home. I spend my money on motorcycles, trucks are for hauling trash and dirt bikes, so in a way the R80G/S, fits the bill. It's just that I pride myself on riding my bikes not trucking them.

Attached Files:

4. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Great shots! It looks like you've really got the hang of that new digital camera setup now... How'd the R80 do down there? Would the beast (R1150GS) have survived, or would it have been too much a pig for that type of travel?

Anyways, thanks for the great post.

Marc
  5. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Marc,

Here is what I posted to the North West GS list.

"On 75% of the roads we rode on the R1150GS, would have been wonderful, on 15% it would have been a real handful, on the remaining 10% it would have been a MoFo'ing bitch.

On the hard dirt covered in three inch high washboards it would have been great, in the loose rock covered gravel roads I would have had a hell of a time, in the deep sand I would have lit a match to it and walked away.

If I had not had to carry so much gear, if I had a set of real off road tires, if I had the stock size fuel tank with only a gallon of gas in it, if I had the balls to pin the throttle in 3rd gear and ride the rear wheel, the R1150GS, would have made this terrain as easy as riding down the super slab. As these things were not available to me at the time, the R80G/S, was a God send."

My R1150GS, was great going up the Dalton Hwy. in Alaska, but the deep sand we rode in while in Baja, would have been to much for me. Better tires and a ton less weight would have made it better but with my riding ability it still would have been a lot of work.