MRA X-CREEN ON 990A

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Bad Piggy, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Bad Piggy

Bad Piggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to install one of the touring X-creens on their 990 either with a stock or aftermarket windshield?
    Talked to guy from TT earlier today, but he could definitively
    tell me whether whether or not If the sport or touring model with clamps would work on my factory windshield. I realize it is probably somewhat adjustable, but thought I would at least ask the question to inmates before I pull the trigger.
    Also, has anyone tried the brake and clutch cover ram mounts on same bike?
    They also look to have a great deal of adjustment to fit many different reservoirs, but there again, just looking for some feedback. My stock front brake factory mirror mount broke when ratchet strap broke and my beloved 990 fell onto her side going down the interstate and broke the mirror and mount on reservoir. No crap about bike being pulled on trailer as I didn't have anyone to take me to pick it up from my buddy's place, so I had to trailer it back home to get packed for a trip:confused
  2. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would go with the sport. I tried the touring and it was awkwardly large. I believe I have a sport one around that I’m not using that I have neglected to put on the flea market. It would be the bolt on (not clamp). PM if interested.
  3. Bad Piggy

Oddometer:
    So it would fit onto my 990?
    I'll assume that the sport and touring should have the same mounting......dimensions, for lack of a better word.
    I appreciate the offer, but I may stick with clamp on as for a quick, hopefully, disconnect if necessary
  4. Peltsi

Peltsi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used both. No problem installing it. I got the bigger one on it now. It's on a standard screen, but it's fits just as well on the shortened screen too.

I could post a picture tomorrow if you are interested.
  5. Bad Piggy

Oddometer:
    A pic would be awesome....thx
  6. Peltsi

Peltsi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you go..

I've had about ten different screen combination on this bike and none of those haven't been any good. Latest version is r1200gslc standard screen attached to short screen. Felt good on a short test couple days ago but still too short for the winter. No turbulence tho. IMG_20191114_120322.jpg IMG_20191114_120339.jpg IMG_20191103_180658.jpg
  7. buaan

buaan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touring screen cut down with the MRA screen on top.

Attached Files:

8. Bad Piggy

Oddometer:
    Looks nice
  9. Dryslick

Dryslick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you provide a part number for that GS windscreen? I’ve also tried a number of configurations on the two 990’s I’ve owned, and none of them have eased the turbulence for me. I’ve been thinking about doing something exactly like what you’ve done. I’d be obliged! Thanks.
  10. Peltsi

Peltsi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Part number for the BMW screen is this

It's quite expensive test. I got it for free and since no one wanted to buy it so i desided to try it.
  11. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Stock screen plus an Aeroflow screen cut level with the stock screen topped with an MRA Xcreen Sport. Looks better than it sounds. By far the best setup I've tried on the 990. Zero buffeting. Quieter than an R1200 RT. I'd post a pic but the bike is sold.
  12. Dryslick

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea.

Thanks, Peltsi. Wow, you’re right. Really expensive. But if it worked, it would be worth it.

OP, sorry for the thread hack. I tried the MRA sport screen on a stock screen on my ‘08. Didn’t work for me. I’m 6’, and tend to sit pretty straight up. YMMV.
  13. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Yes. Aeroflow screen is designed to go over the stock screen with a gap in between. Aeroflow also sells winglets for the 990 as shown in a pic from the website, but I didn’t have them. C58B2899-E194-408E-B950-6C805226EB35.jpeg
  14. Dryslick

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I’d forgotten what they looked like.
  15. Peltsi

Peltsi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't find that from Givi website. Maybe they are not making it anymore. Might try that if it's still available since Givi screens are quite cheap.

I did try something like that with cutdown OEM and standard screen. With the sides closet with Gorilla tape.
  16. spartanman

Oddometer:
  17. Peltsi

Peltsi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. My mistake. I got that mixed up with Givi's Airflow and that has nothing to do with Givi.