MrKiwi's rambles

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by MrKiwi, Feb 23, 2017.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm starting this thread to record the various day trips and longer rides I have done in New Zealand. I've been riding bikes for some time, but these pics only go back as far as 2010 other than for some introductory ones. I had a period of no bikes while the family was young but in 2010 I bought a bike and have been going hard at it ever since.

In my earlier riding days I owned smaller bikes or road sports tourers. All the bikes I have bought since 2010 have been so called adventure touring bikes, a term that is more widely used than perhaps should be as applied to bikes. Nevertheless, these bikes have introduced me to the whole new experience of riding gravel roads and at times single tracks.

Since 2010 I have owned a 2007 Varadero (Honda XL1000), 2007 Triumph Tiger 9551, a VFR1200X and now the CRF1000 otherwise known as the Africa Twin.

I also own a 1998 Honda XL600V, the last year of the first transalp model, and this bike resides in the Netherlands. It will eventually come home, but for the time being I periodically head to Europe to ride it.
    OzCr0w, Yannick, sinned and 1 other person like this.
  2. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    My early bikes.

My first road bike (as opposed to riding farm bikes) was a Yamaha XS 250, unaffectionately known as the slug. Six months then I ditched it as soon as I could.
    [​IMG]

I then bought a Suzuki 450S, and great little bike this was too. My riding gear wasn't flash though - Line Seven stuff.
    [​IMG]

For a while I rode a Suzuki GSX750, circa 1986
    [​IMG]
  3. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    In 2010, a riding buddy of mine rang and said 'com'n mate time to go riding again'.

I flew to Auckland to buy a bike. I had not been riding for 15 years and I did the very thing not recommended to do. Buy a big bike.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Only 1000 cc and 94 hp, but it weighed 280 kgs. It was nice to ride, smooth and economical. Sadly, on day 6 of a week long ride I lost the front wheel at relatively slow speed turning through a sharp downhill left turn and at the apex of the corner the tire slid out from under me as I ran across some melting tar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike sustained a lot of cosmetic damage but was ride able. Insurance wrote it off. I learnt a valuable lesson on paying attention and reading the road. I was taking my turn as tail end Charley and was taking it all too casually when suddenly my front end went out and down. It was a good reminder. I did about 9,000km on this bike in 7 months.

[​IMG]
    BillUA, Sfcootz, Yannick and 2 others like this.
  4. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    My next bike was a triumph Tigber 955i. I think the model year was 2006, but first registered in NZ in 2007 and I bought it in 2011 with no more than 11,000 kms on it. I soon put it to use and when I sold it it two and a half years later it had 36,000 kms on it.

When I bought the bike it looked like this
    [​IMG]

When I sold it, the bike had been changed to this
    [​IMG]

This is the first time I had owned a British bike and a triple motor. I quickly fell in love with the triple, the motor on this bike was very nice indeed. However, the seat was damn awful. The bike came with a bit of British character too, it needed a little looking after.
  5. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    In 2014 I bought the biggest bike I have owned, the Honda VFR1200X. Heavy but that motor. The V4 is very nice and unlike the VFR1200F, not too thirsty in the 1200X form. It is not a light bike and I soon discovered that when I rode gravel. I had a hoot riding this thing over the Black Forest Station road a couple of years back, but going downhill on wet dirt is no fun when the bike weighs in at 280 kgs before rider and gear.

I bought this bike directly from the NZ distributor (something I was able to do through my work) and it came with some farkles.
    [​IMG]

But these were not to my liking and I soon sold the Honda panniers. In the end the bike looked like this
    [​IMG]

I sold this bike a few months back to my brother. He doesn't ride gravel and was looking for a good kitted out bike for his riding, a good choice for him one and two up. He got a very good deal on this bike, although I kept the Givi Trekker Outback panniers.
  6. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    My current ride is the 2016 Africa Twin, with the DCT gearbox. It is in the process of being kitted out, the last of the farkles gets installed next week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BillUA, kiwimichel, Dukehunt and 5 others like this.
  7. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    My last introductory post is of my 1998 XL600V. There's a bit of a story behind this bike as it currently resides in the Netherlands. a couple of years ago my wife went up the UK for three months with her aging parents and the deal was for me to come up towards the end of that for about a week with her then when she left to come back I would stay on and do some riding. It soon transpired once she got to eh UK with her parents that she would not survive three months without perhaps killing her mother so I got the call to come up sooner and rescue her. We did a trip through part of Turkey and Italy using planes, buses trains and the odd hire car. I had arranged to meet up with an inmate in the Netherlands and we went up and stayed with him for five days. On our last day there he took me to his local bike shop, something my wife advised him NOT to do.

Well the story takes the predicted turn that I end up buying a bike I wanted to import back to NZ as it was in such a good condition and cheap. Then my mate says, you don't need to import it back straight way why don't you leave it in my garage and come back riding! Yes I said :lol3. Noooooo said my wife :nono. Too late, what was said can't be undone :deal .

So I bought this
    [​IMG]

I went back May last year and did some riding and soon discovered it needed to be modernized a little. It now looks like this
    [​IMG]

The seat has been completely rebuilt. The front end has new progressive springs and the rear suspension has been completely replaced. (Wilbers). K&N filter with dyno jetting has improved the performance of the motor by getting rid of a flat spot in the mid range. I will be heading back to the Netherlands to do a 8,500km trip and then this little baby comes home.

My ride report of last year's foray is here - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mrkiwi-tries-riding-on-the-other-side-of-the-road.1142740/
  8. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    My first long ride in the modern era was in November 2010. I had done a few miles on my Varadero and was looking forward to riding out with a new bunch of guys in bike group I had just joined.

The route looked interesting, a good chunk of the lower two thirds of the North Island
    [​IMG]

Not so much narrative to follow, but quite a few pictures.

Meet up and ride brief
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day one ride from Lower Hutt to Whangamomona Hotel on the Forgotten highway via the Wairarapa. A long first day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Day two was a ramble up the to the West coast and then across to the Coromandel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Three was a do your own ride day and I zoomed away from Whangamata to central Waikato to catch up with a mate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OzCr0w, BillUA, ONandOFF and 2 others like this.
  10. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Days four and five took us to Opotiki and then a day on your own. Some of the lads zoomed around the East Coast and back through the gorge while I met up with one of my brothers and we rode to Gisborne and back through the gorge to visit my sister. It was a warm day, and I had not yet cottoned onto layering my clothes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The infamous day six arrived. We were a grgoup of about 22 riders from memory and to this point of the trip everything had gone smoothly. During the ride from Opotiki to Gisborne through the gorge, one of the bikes broke down and needed road side repairs. In spite of more chiefs than cooks soon had the problem sorted.

[​IMG]

From Gisborne we took the inland route to Wairoa. It was my turn to be tail end Charley which I was relishing, cruising along at my own pace smelling the roses and generally taking my eye off the ball. Silly mistake, I soon enough paid the price for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a bruise to my left elbow and ruptured the petellar bursa in my left knee. The bruise to my left thigh was impressive.

[​IMG]

I rode the bike all the way to Napier bu the next day I was too sore to get on the bike. I left it there and got a ride back with a friend in his car. One phone call to my insurance company and they took care of the rest. When I got my money I bought the Tiger 955i.
  11. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Where is that lookout in the Waikato?
  12. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Top of the Kaimai range, the lookout at the saddle
    young1 likes this.
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    boy them bruises would have taken loads of mascara to cover up
  14. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    They were there for a long time!
  15. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    A couple of pics from today

Went for an early ride over the Rimutaka Hill to Featherston. Riding the road at 7:00am means little traffic and an opportunity to have a blast. At the bottom is a ncie bakery selling yummy food

[​IMG]

I meandered up to Masterton along some back roads and then out to Admiral Hill. On the way back rode into cloud and showers.
    [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  16. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    After insurance paid out on my Varadero I bought a 2007 Tiger 955i with not many miles on it.

Soon afterwards I took it for a ride down south fitted with a new pair of TKC 80's. One thing about the TKC 80s is how fast the rear wears!

[​IMG]

On he way down going through Arther's Pass with some mates
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BillUA, Yannick and larryboy like this.
  17. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Hanging around Mt Cook waiting for the clouds to disappear. It never did on this occasion. In my younger days I climbed it and spent many a day rampaging through the mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Central Otago is a favorite area of mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yannick, ONandOFF, glitch_oz and 2 others like this.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    As always on our group trips we stop on the top of Haast Pass for a group photo. This is the first year of four so far (and who says hi viz has to be boring :p. That red jacket has since departed through wear and tear and I have not been able to find another).
    [​IMG]

A quick trip up the West coast followed, staying at Fox and then Owen River. The Buller Gorge was splendid.

Punakiaki
    [​IMG]

Buller Gorge
    [​IMG]

Owen River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ONandOFF and larryboy like this.
  19. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    On this trip I met a guy called Dave. He had cancer and this was his last trip. He bought his young son along with him and they had a hoot. Even though I only knew him for this trip, it is always sad to lose someone you know and even more so when that person is taken years before their time. The next few pics are in his memory, gone but not forgotten. If I ever get in a situation where I know I only have so long to live I hope that I can carry myself with the grace and humility that Dave did.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OzCr0w, BillUA, motocopter and 9 others like this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Dave looks like a good guy. Good taste in bike brands too.
    Oaters and MrKiwi like this.