MSR Dromedary VS Fuel bags Giant Loop / Desert Fox

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spova, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

1. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand the Dromedary bags are not specified for fuel by the manufacturer like Giant Loop fuel bags but those fuel bags are not technically road legal in the US either.

The MSR bags being significantly less expensive makes them very tempting. Do the official fuel bladders give extra value for the extra cost? What is the down side of using the MSR?

I'm guessing getting fuel in and out of the fuel bags is easier than the MSR since its not made for putting stuff in a gas tank or filling at a station.

Iv read the the MSR bag always let off fumes and some times sweat fuel. Do the fuel bags do this or can you put the cap on the emptie and toss it in a pannier with out it making everything smell like gas?
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fuel bladders are approved for "Off-road, Competition Use Only". Both the GL and Fox bladders have better tie down/lashing points than the MSR.

I can't speak to the GL bladders, but the MSR will definitely bleed gasoline smell through the liner. The Desert Fox bladder doesn't seem to smell like gasoline, unless you spill all over the outside. The DF also looks sturdier than the others and is now 6L instead of 5L.

The GL does have an optional ($$) fuel nozzle available. The DF comes with one included.

Biggest downside to the Desert Fox bladder is the shipping cost from South Africa. The bladders aren't that pricey but the shipping is expensive, but if you are ordering a dozen or so it suddenly becomes a pretty good deal.

IMG_20190205_115423029.jpg
    spova likes this.
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I have the Giant loop bag .... works good overall.

One thing to keep in mind, if your carrying a gallon of fuel in one of these bags, you only need keep fuel in them for few hours .. the time it takes to burn a gallon of fuel from your tank.

My GL does not vent gas fumes when empty

MSR as other state can be lashed outside, BUT attachment points are not as good as the GL bag.

I have used plastic soda bottles successfully to carry fuel...cheap, readily available, crush to store when done till you get somewhere to dispose to crushed bottles.

Scott
    spova likes this.
  4. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gone from using MSR bags to real gas bags? If so why and do you regret spending more on the fuel bags over the MSR bar? <-- This question only for people that have switched please

Has anyone had any non crash failures or mishaps with putting fuel in bags either way?
  5. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    ... 1qt motor oil bottles, if one fails you don’t lose your whole stash.
    Boatman likes this.
  6. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first time I ever had to carry extra fuel, I used these in my backpack. They leaked and made a mess of my stuff in my backpack. Never again. I now use Gatorade bottles. They are thick. I also place them inside two-one gallon ziplock baggies just in case. I have never had a problem with those.
    mode12 and mnmlst like this.
  7. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Not all bottles are created equal. I use some Castrol bottles w/ ‘clicker’ lids and seals.

My key point is... don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Pedialite bottles. Free after ya hydrate. Square body saves space when packing.
    Motopsychoman and Amphib like this.
  9. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used MSR drom bags for a yearly Baja trip many times as my tank is only 3.1, needed 5. I bought some before GL made the gas bags. Attachment is barely adequate and requires fussing. They leak fumes, but they were cheap, pack small and do not actually leak gas, except out of the little squirt nozzle (tape/glue shut..another negative).

Last Baja trip I borrowed a GL 2 gallon (hi Cabrito!). It worked great. I even had it full, inside my GL Coyote with all my gear at times. No leaks/fumes/easier to confidently strap down for whoops/rocks.

If I had to do it all over again and I planned on using the gas bag frequently, I'd buy the GL gas bag in 2 gallon size.

In fact maybe I should get rid of my droms/bottles and just buy one GL 2gal. All that being said, I can make the droms work for very occasional use, but I hate that I don't have the GL bladder.

....Anyone have a used GL bladder for sale in 2 gallon size?

Cheers
    spova likes this.
  10. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was using the MSR with no problems here in the So. Ca. and Nv. deserts. I'd still be using it but a buddy bought me the Giant Loop for a present. It is nicer and doesnt vent gas like the MSR did. I'd only leave gas in it until my tank was empty enough to pour it in. I did get questioned once at a gas station and I told them it was approved for gas and he didn't question any further.
    spova likes this.