Mt. Pinos/Frazier Park ride suggestions?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Zen Slug, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this just in via PM...posting it for the record:

"The only dirt I have done in the area is the road into Mutah Flats off of Lockwood Valley and then on the other side of I5 a road that runs from the top end of the Ridge Route to Lake Hughes Rd. I think Erin knows that one."
    :deal

Also, FYI: you have to pay a $5 entrance fee to get through the gate at Hungry Valley...bring some change if y'all want to try MotoMike's Alamo Mtn. loop.
  2. irlsanders

irlsanders Panamaniac

Oddometer:
    Now that I've had my first cup of coffee, :D , have we picked a rally point and time?
  3. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    How about meeting at or near Sam's place??? If he doesn't want the address online he can PM us the details.

6am or 7am would work for me...anybody else got a strong opinion on the time? Pinaretta voted 6am but never said if he's in for sure or not...

BTW - name's Eran :D
  4. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    You will have to be on the lookout for idiots as you ride through Hungry Valley, but shortly after the "T" you will be entering the National Forest ( don't forget your adventure pass ), no green/red sticker bikes allowed, only street legal bikes. This doesn't mean they don't go back there, but if they get caught they're screwed. And yes, you have to go out the way you came in. I would advise against taking the big bikes or low time dirt riders on any of the trails out of there.
  5. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would agree with MotoMike Hungry Valley is a zoo on the weekends. If you do go to Gorman you can get in on south entrance it is Smokey Bear Road saves about 6 miles, (if you do that get off the offramp, when it hits smokey bear road go across the road to the dirt area to your left then you will see the road behing the bushes) then just follow the road (Hungry Valley) to Smith forks campground (about 5 miles) and as the road passes the campground take a left on Gold Hill road that takes you back to the Alamo loop there is only two other routes down from there, Miller jeep trail and Snowey trail both no way on big pigs. The open valley trials would be ok on the big bikes and Power Line Road is ok except for a couple of tricky spots. The bad part is the idiots power sliding around the blind curves, during the week it would be great thats when I do most of my Gorman riding. If you do Lockwood Valley road out of fraizer you can get up to the top of Fraizer on the forest service roads, probably still got some snow up there. Have fun and take pic's!
  6. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meeting at 6 means we might get out there before the heat really kicks in. :deal

Honestly, I am in if we can leave early, otherwise, I have some commitments that I need to be back for that make leaving later not worth the time. Don't go out of your way for me though. I can always catch the next ride if the gang wants to sleep in a bit.
  7. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    HEY we no patawded...got tow rope 'n' everthin'! :wink:

P.S. Here's some pix from my last trip up that way:
    http://zenslug.shutterfly.com/action/?a=8AbOG7Zy4Zt2G6 :deal

Alas..."Old Ridge Route" is still closed :cry
    http://www.ridgeroute.com/news.html
  8. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    Your pics look like a good loop Zen Slug. I've ridden Quatal Canyon before. I'm up for any meet time. Gots to beat the heat.

Errin
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I don't know that I would try YellowJacket withour knobbies. I have not ever tried it on the GS but... there are some steep (although fairly short) climbs that could be very difficult.

I have not ridden much of the single track around Frazier park. What I have seen is very sandy and loose. I would recommend knobbies.

I have not tried Tinta Trail. Where is it? :evil
  10. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I have the balls to try single track on my big pig. There I said it!

Errin
  11. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    I was kinda joking about Tinta Trail...maybe when I get that 150cc trials bike, though!
    Here's a good ride report with pix of Tinta Trail...looking gnarly!

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2004/casapacifica/ :deal

In this same ride report he describes OHV trails 114-117 (north of Frazier Park) as "some of the finest single track I have ever put knobby to". Makes ME want to check it out...course my trailwings aren't EXACTLY knobbies :cry

And apparently Errin's balls ain't exactly Javarilla's, either :rofl
  12. EMrider

EMrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Under ideal conditions, many of the Los Padres NF trails you have mentioned would not be much fun on a big bike. Way too tight and rocky. But after this year's rains, they are very beaten up with lots of downed trees. They are a challenge on my KTM 200 and that bike is a featherweight. Exploring the fire roads should be lots of fun, but ride with caution on the tight stuff.
    R
  13. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    It runs somewhat parallel to Hwy 33 from where lockwood Canyon Rd hits the 33 to Santa Barbara Canyon. If you have a map that shows the Dick Smith wilderness, it's the southern(southeastern?) boundry

How's papahood treatin' ya?
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    :wave :wave :wave I was blasting along the 33 a few weeks ago and was hoping to see you out.

Things are GREAT!!!!

Let's put another ride together... or at least a breakfast. :freaky
  15. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Wanna trade for a 2001 f650GS? :wink:
  16. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Oh jeesh.

Don't let Jean-Luc see that! He'll be down here from SF before you can say "Hey man, can you help me pick this pig up?" and make me ride it with him!!! :eek1
  17. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Awesome...I'll PM him right away for ya' :wink:

Be sure to post a ride report if you make it out alive :lol3
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Do you think it's a coincidence that since I met Jean-Luc my wife has taken out extra life insurance on me? :huh
  19. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know, I just reread the Sierra Madre report while looking for something and was thinking the same thing. Let's let it cool off a little first.

The rest of you guys, have fun and take pictures this weekend
  20. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3