MT1000 2nd running

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jjmyzrider, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Horse 607

Horse 607 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't say with 100% certainty as I rode over Sweetwater and back home through the Blacktail. but there was no problem riding over the top from the Ruby into the Centenntial and i dont think Red Rock Pass is any higher than that. Hope that helps.
  2. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I was up on Lemhi Pass last weekend; road open and, amazingly, was dry.

Still lot's of snow, though; here are a few pix from near the top of the pass.

I'd estimate the cornice above the outhouse at about 25' deep; the snowbank where they cut through to open the road, maybe 15'.

Couldn't get too far off of the main road without getting blocked by snow.

Good thing the ride is late in July!

md

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Skalkaho pass is now washed out and closed. Don't know how bad as of yet, I rode up to see the falls and the road was blocked about 3 miles from the falls (Hamilton side). I'm sure it will be fixed soon, but with the amount of runoff occurring it's hard to say.
  4. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In, again. Looking forward to being back in Darby, and seeing more of Montana.
  5. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    Do we know if we can leave trucks at the fairgrounds again this year? Looks like we're on the tail end of the logger days again.
  6. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Most of you probably either have purchased the Garmin Topo map or already know about these free state topo maps, but for those that have neither, these mapsets are top notch. I own the Garmin topo and don't use it any longer. I use these maps. They used to only have about 8 states but recently added a bunch more and now have 41 states (last I counted). Check out the MT one, and others, here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/
  7. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is going to be a great ride - I can't wait to get on the road. I rode the 2010 version on an F800GS - great bunch of riders, awesome route, and Darby is a cool town.

This year I'm riding my 690 Enduro. Bike is set up and ready to go - just need to get some Clif Bars & Monkey Butt Powder.
  8. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I got most of Day 3 (Gypsy Lake to GreyCliff - http://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/current-routes/day-3) ridden yesterday. I road from Bozeman to White Sulpher Springs through the Bridgers and then up 89 and followed the Day 3 route back - about 220 miles total.

Note that there will be significant changes coming in a few days when I get time to update.

Good news first:
    (1) The route from Ringling to Maudlow is open and mostly dry; they've filled the washouts along the Middle Fork of Sixteen Mile Creek and it's a good ride.

(2) I didn't get all the way to Greycliff as it was getting late and VERY stormy looking, but the Dry Creek Road section south of Maudlow is in good shape (I didn't take the turn West to Manhatten).

Bad News:
    Most of the preliminary route SW of White Sulpher Springs is through private land. It's hard to tell on the maps which roads are "public through private lands" and which are private. Unfortunately, the ride to a short distance from where the route was intended to cross HWY 12 was fantastic! BUT, at that point I encountered a locked gate. After wandering on logging roads to as far as the Deep Creek crossing, I had to backtrack some 20+ miles and find another way.

Summary:
    I'll be posting an updated route based on my track from yesterday soon, and maybe before the ride starts we will have one with more dirt figured out, too.

FWIW, I had a GREAT TIME! I think even with the changes, this leg of the MT 1000 will be a good one.

md
  9. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Thought you might like these.

1. SOUTHWEST OF WHITE SULPHER SPRINGS
    [​IMG]

2. CODE OF THE WEST: LEAVE GATES (OPEN OR CLOSED) THE WAY YOU FIND THEM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SIXTEEN MILE CREEK ROAD (Bridger Mtns.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. THESE GUYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY ON MANY ROADS IN MT.

[​IMG]

As an aside, I don't recall ever seeing so much snow (up high) this time of the year. The WEST SIDE of the Crazy Mountains appears to have as much as the EAST SIDE of the Bridgers! Should be sure and check with the Forest Service as it gets closer to July 20th and the Day 4 Gravelly Range Road (see https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/current-routes/day-4 for phone number, etc.)

md
  10. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    The .gpx file and map images for day three are updated here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/current-routes/day-3

Notes:
    1. They may change after I preride the last part to GreyCliff
    2. I haven't updated the combined map or .gpx file on the
    main route page yet; mileages in tables have been updated.

md
  11. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those who are planning to ride in the little group I've put together, can you PM me so I can get a sense of who's with us. I'll try to reach out to those who have contacted me, but if I don't, please PM me.

I'm looking forward to this little ride. I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who'd like to ride the Macgruder Corridor on the way to Darby. PM me on that as well.
  13. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I finished the preride today and have incorporated the track for the southern part into the route; minor change due to a subdivision blocking part of the map route, but no problem.

The day three map and .gpx file has been updated and I added a link to the Madison Buffalo Jump page. Browse here for the day 3 route:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/current-routes/day-3

There were a few mud puddles, and it impressed me that part of the Nixon Gulch Road will likely be impassable if wet; just dirt - no gravel in places.

Here are a few pix.

NIXON GULCH ROAD:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GREYCLIFF CAMPGROUND:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looked like maybe 1/2 of campsites occupied at Greycliff, even though it's in the middle of the week. It will probably pay to get there early, if possible, if you plan to camp there.

I also updated the main route page (map, .gpx file) here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/current-routes
    so it should be current.

md
  14. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A special section of alternates is just posted with you guys in mind. This is one of the funnest trails I ride every year. I hope you enjoy. It is posted here https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2011/related-routes it is number 5 on the list. Enjoy!!!
  15. Horse 607

Horse 607 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought id better take a ride yesterday and check the passes while i had the time and since we still have so much snow this year. This is looking at the west side of the Big Hole valley from Jackson.

[​IMG]

this is on the Gibbonsville road heading toward the Big Hole pass from Wisdom.

[​IMG]

the Big Hole pass.

[​IMG]

heading down the Gibbonsville rd from the Big Hole pass

[​IMG]

Foothills rd

[​IMG]

Placer Creek rd fs #1203

[​IMG]

Schultz Saddle rd

[​IMG]

almost to the top, Schultz Saddle pass. this snow should be gone in the next week or 2. those ominous looking clouds did cut lose about 30 secs after i took this pic, hail with lots of thunder.

[​IMG]
  16. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    :ricky It looks like I'm getting out of town early for a change and am going to run the Magruder round trip from Darby a few days before the MT1k. Plan to be in/around Darby late in the day on the 12th, then ride the Magruder the 13th-15th.

Some company is always welcome.

Warning: I'm old and slow, but not prone to babbling about the good old days. :gerg
  17. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Snr - I'm going to be in Darby late on the 14th or early 15th. Had hoped to run the Magruder before the MT1000. Is that do-able in a day, R/T from Darby? I haven't looked at it in the map yet, but a NFS brochure says it's 101 miles one way to Elk City.
  18. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    It's 101 miles, but at low speeds. Full 2 days round trip from Darby-Elk City-Darby if you want to enjoy the ride.
  19. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many roads, so little vacation. If I can get in Thurs I may try to do it Fri/Sat. Maybe I'll see you on your way back.
  20. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Google the National Forest Service for the area. There is good info on it and there are some nice shorter trips you can make closer to Darby.Worst case, we can go ride some on Friday.