MT1000 2nd running

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jjmyzrider, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Coho911

Coho911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many people signed up now ? just the ones on the first page ?

2. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Don't know as I saw an official sign-in, but add my name to the list.

Wansfel
  3. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    I know of at least three more people coming for the MT1000 that are not on this in list... not that there is any need for an in list for this... This is not an organized ride, just pre-ridden GPS waypoints :deal
  4. Coho911

Coho911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I better figure out how to put the GPS points in my Garmin on my Mac (AMAZING computers - not the best GPS software).
  5. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, there are more people than that, those are the few who have spoken up on this tread. Some say they're bringing more. And, folks like me, and a few other locals I know of, will be in and out on certain points of the ride, I think last year we had around 50 or more. I don't know if anybody really got a good head count..

6. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    JJ, from a GPS noob -

I've downloaded the route files and loaded them on my unit (Garmin 60CSx) along with Montana topos (gpsfiledepot). The routes show up in Mapsource with a flag about every mile, but only 2-3 waypoints listed on the Waypoint tab (start and finish, alternate route finish). Will my GPS navigate the flags as waypoints?

I've been reading GPS posts by drzcharlie about converting routes to tracks. I'm going to download WinGDB and give it a shot. Any reason that won't work with your routes?
  7. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    I have only had a GPS since Christmas, so I am new to them as well. I do think the route is just a series of way points, and to follow the route just forget about the waypoints listed. Moondog would be the guy to ask on that, he has been doing the GPS files on that page and is very knowlegable about that, he has helped me out alot. Truth be told he is the guy who has been doing all the work:clap

8. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Heya guys,
    My plans seem to be changing a bit. My grandfather (mom's dad) passed away last night so I'll be in Minnesota for the funeral on July 15th. Hate to go but need to support the family. It's been a tough road for my mom this last year and a half. My dad passed away a bit over a year ago and my 44 year old cousin (my mom's nephew) passed away from aggressive cancer two weeks ago (had been diagnosed less than 2 months prior). Family first so off I go to MN. I'll be driving back on Monday July 18 so plan on picking up the scent of you guys on Tuesday. I'll probably just ride the hwy down to Grey Cliff and search out a group if I don't get plans made to ride with any specific group by then. I had hoped to determine with what group I'd ride when I got to Darby. I'm riding my WR250R dual sport and enjoy a spirited ride, but have no problem dialing it back to run a more relaxed pace or big bike pace, either.

I'm going to miss the section of the Big Belt Mountains ride that I plotted for the second half of day 2. :cry By the way, I WILL need to update some of the Big Belt route. Avalanche Road (primary route) is washed out in 4 or more places and they may not have it fixed by then. Even the alternate route over Avalanche Butte was impassable with snow last week (and down trees since they hadn't been able to ride through and clean it up due to snow). Alternate route up Hunter's Gulch is washed out. Note that when I say washed out, there is not just a gully trenched in. It means the ROAD IS GONE usually along with the 3' - 6' diameter culvert. I think I have a re-route figured out. It may include a few miles of trail that will be fairly hard for bigger bikes, but I think everyone should be able to make it through considering what all of you went through last year. If that doesn't work, I also have an alternate that will be asphalt and gravel road.

This year will be a challenge because there are many areas washed out and MT has said some of them won't get repaired very fast, if at all this year, due to lack of funding and so many washouts. Except for the routes that have been pre-run by someone just prior to the MT1000 and been given the "all good" stamp of approval, be prepared to have to back track (read: plan fuel and range accordingly).

I'll try to get some routes run this weekend and get the updates to MoonDogMT. It's been 90 the last few days so snow is melting quickly...only time will tell if it's quickly enough.
  9. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    MD,
    Should things fill up, is there an alternative area nearby where folks can camp? As posted above, I'll probably be taking the highway down to meet up there at Greycliff. I'd hate to get there and not be able to find anyone so if there is an alternate nearby where I could look if I can't find anyone, a heads up would be great. Thanks.
  10. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    Just spoke to Ennis office of the forest service. They expect to open the gravelly range road on july 12th for the annual flower tours. they are thinking that the road may still not be passable all of the way through, once again the Gravelly range road might alter plans. we will know more on the start of the MT1000
  11. ReaperX

ReaperX Live life and ride free

Oddometer:
    You guys are so dam lucky lol :D We would love to have those owesome tracks here in the UK, I'm planning a trip to the US and I would love to come and do some of those rides with you guys.
    Owesome :1drink:1drink:1drink
  12. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Hopefully someone will have locked a site up so you can pitch a tent. If not, there are a couple of alternatives.
    If you are coming past Three Forks, the Missouri River Headwaters park (http://fwp.mt.gov/parks/visit/missouriHeadwaters/) has a nice camping spot. This is NE of Three forks and NW of Logan and a few miles NW of Greycliff.

If you go past Greycliff to HWY 84 South along the Madison River, there is camping on the East Side of the river on the Bear Trap road. (Turn off of 84 just before you cross the Madison,) I've seen lots of campers along the river there and Delorme even shows a campground, although I'm not sure about the facilities.

Can anyone add to this?

md
  13. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    My condolences, Chad. Those are some of the toughest times.

I'm not sure someone hasn't already posted this link, and it is a bit dated (June 10), but will give some idea: http://www.mtstandard.com/news/local/article_8f22ae86-93b2-11e0-8164-001cc4c03286.html.

BTW, we hadn't planned to preride Days 4 or 5 as we ran virtually all of it last year. BUT, some issues may exist that weren't a problem last year, so I definitely second Chad's comments.

Also, likely won't preride Day 6 route as it is relatively well travelled; will post any info to the web that anyone can provide, though.

On the positive side, the ground is drying fast where the snow is gone, and that area is growing every day. Unless we get lots of wet weather, my guess is the roads will be good, assuming repairs to washouts, etc. are completed.

md
  14. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    If it works out that I can hit the road Tuesday to join up with the ride, I'll try to make it down to Graycliff relatively early and block some sites for all of us.
    :thumb
  15. LostAussie

LostAussie Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer:
    In:clap

Only got to ride the first two days last year because the guy I was riding with broke his ankle. Really looking forward to doing the entire ride this year!

Thanks to all of you who put so much work into planning and checking out the routes.
  16. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I guess that means I'm also IN as we're riding together :deal.

Dave
  17. TeamJunk

TeamJunk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list :D
  18. Cliff Diver

Cliff Diver n00b

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to this as my first time. I've done a major make-over on the F650GS so it should be ready.
  19. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inmates:

I'm riding from Reno to the Montana 1000 and back to Reno leaving this Friday.

Mostly dirt roads on my 950 Adventure. Minimalist camping and crappy hotels along the way.

[​IMG]

Leaving this Friday, Three days to Darby arriving Sunday, July 15-17

Ride Montana 1000 Tuesday till Friday, July 19-22

Leaving Darby on Saturday or Sunday heading home to Reno , July 24-26

I've got the GPS routes/tracks ready to email to anybody interested.

Looks like about 3000 miles of Montana Moto Mayhem, anybody in??
  20. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Just curious about what plans are in the works for Day 6 of the 1000.

Looks like this will be about the only day I'll make, so I'm going to try and jump in around Lemhi Pass and run into Darby.

Anyone got their route firmed up?

md