MT1000 2nd running

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jjmyzrider, Mar 2, 2011.

1. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As of this moment, the Gravelly Range road is open as far south as Clover Meadows. The road is CLOSED any farther than that. They said to call early next week and see if it is open. For those of you on the trail best to call them on Wed, morning. 1-406-682-4253 to get the update.
  2. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed for Darby from the Seattle area on Thursday 7/14 or Friday depending upon whether I do the Magruder Corridor.
  3. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Work is a four letter word. Wasn't able to head out today, but will be in Darby tomorrow afternoon/evening. May take a run up and back on the Magruder Thursday & Friday or Friday/Saturday depending on how the new bike sorts out and packs up (new to me 2007 KLX250S - a rather large change from the Buell Ulysses).
  4. Timmer

Oddometer:
    Do you recommend doing the Magruder solo? I'll be interested in your RR about the conditions.

Timmer

5. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Solo is the plan so far. Anyone wants to come along, they're welcome. Probably going to overnight it around Red River Hot Springs if possible. Will have my netbook & aircard along in Darby, so will have some net connection there. Won't have it along on the Magruder.
  6. Timmer

Oddometer:
    It looks like our paths may cross then as I'll be coming from the west.
  7. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I'm the old dud on a green & white KLX250S. Just got the bike, so no ADV tags on it.

See you out there. :wave
  8. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    I'm hearing Magruder still has a big pile of impassable snow on top.

Skalkaho road is closed up by the falls due to road wash out. I hear that there's enough road to ride a bike on past, but whether the gates are open is another issue. The lower gate on the Hamilton side isn't one you can ride around. I might try to get up there in the next 24 hours to have a look see.

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER ON ROADWAY ON MT-38 APPROXIMATELY 17 MILES UP
    SKALKAHO HIGHWAY ON MT 38.
    ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER ON ROADWAY STARTING ON JUN 09, 0201 AT
    12:01 AM.
    WATER IS ERODING BANKS CAUSING WATER ON THE
    ROADWAY.
  9. Timmer

Oddometer:
    Mike from Wenatchee called the ranger station and they indicated Magruder is still snowed in. So I'm altering my route to Darby. I'll depart Seattle on Friday morning and camp at 3 Rivers Campground near Kooskia, ID Friday night and then ride on over LOLO Pass to Darby on Saturday and do some more exploring/riding in the Darby area on Saturday and spend the night camped at the parking lot at the Logger's Days or find something more remote.
  10. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I just scouted 70 miles of route tonight and there will need to be some changes to the second part of Day 2 as there are some washouts. I'm working up tracks and will be sending to MoonDog so hopefully he can incorporate and update day 2 for everyone to download before you leave. Points to know: Avalanche Gulch is closed (this was a big bike route). Hunter's Gulch is closed (this was the primary route). By combining the remaining open and good routes, there is still a workable route that I think most big bikes can do. Lots of steeps, but keep your decent speed in check and everyone should be good.

The other option (for which I will not make a GPS route) will be for anyone that doesn't want to run a big bike on the primary route, is getting fatuqued, or just running late and wants to get to camp and bypass the Big Belt Mountain routes. Just so you know, the section that this is bypassing would take most riders 3 - 4 hours. So, your alternative is to stay on the tarmac and follow Hwy 284 around the East side of Canyon Ferry Lake all the way down to the Duck Creek Road turnoff. Duck Creek Road is the road everyone takes east to the Gipsy Lake camp spot that ends day 2. Google map of that here: Hwy 284 to Gypsy Lake
  11. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I'm in Darby now, camped at the Bitterroot Campground across the street from the fair grounds. Went through some really nasty weather on the way here and now it's socking in again with rain & some thunder.

Hwy 93 from Victor to almost Hamilton is torn up - badly. Posted speed is 25 mph...lucky to do 15 on a lot of it. Hopefully, it will be sunny tomorrow.
  12. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made it as far as Loveland, CO last night. Flopped at Boyd Lake State Park. At 4:38AM today I got a phone call - my son has been in a car accident in Columbia, MO (he's at Mizzou). Left side of his body is smashed up. He's in surgery now.

I'm going to backtrack to I70 and head east. Good luck to all and ride safe.
  13. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Best route through the upper Bitterroot is to stick with the Eastside Hwy. Much nicer route for ADV purposes and avoids the construction zones on 93.
  14. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was planning on meeting, in Darby, on Sunday morning for a get together and quick course information. However, my bike is still in pieces in the garage, I don't want to rent or borrow a bike, and my sister from out of state will be in town. So with all of that going on I am asuming all of you will be able to get gathered and started on your own. I am sorry I can not make it there, wish I could and had plans of riding Day 1 and part of day 2, however without a running bike this is difficult. I do hope all of you guys have a great time and hope you find this years as enjoyable as last. If you have any troubles with bikes or routes please PM your phone # and I will be happy to help you out at any point along the way.
  15. Timmer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all you MT folks have done. I downloaded all the routes today and printed out the daily summaries. Leaving in the morning for Darby.

16. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    I am out. I am going to pre run some of the WABDR instead next week.
  17. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    I'm now a "maybe". UPS lost my fuel pump for the Husky... and I was really stoked to bring that bike out there. I can bring the V-Strom again, but it just doesn't have the same sense of satisfaction... plus stuff at work is going pear shaped, and I'm kinda not feeling it:cry
  18. triple3jrb

triple3jrb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Is everyone still planning on meeting in Darby on Sunday? If so what time and place? Seems like there has been a lot of drop outs, is there a number participants?

I will be there Sunday ready to roll on the Tdubbs! :freaky

Johnny
  19. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Meeting as planned as far as I know at the south end of the fair grounds. I'm in Darby now and ready to roll.

:muutt
  20. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Timmer,
    I noticed the site hasn't been updated with the day 2 route changes that I sent moondogmt two days ago. There are some road closings in the Big Belt mountains (second part of day 2). If one doesn't get the updates, no worries. The original routes will still get you there because at each intersection that has a road closed is where the route splits, so one can always do the alternate. As mentioned and mapped in an above post, if one is running late or a big bike with street tires and not up to some steep (but doable) ascents and descents, one can skip the big belts section and stay on Hwy 284 around the East side of Canyon Ferry Lake all the way down to the turn off to get to Gypsy Lake (Duck Creek Rd).

I arrived in MN last night and will be driving back to Montana on Monday. My plan is still to ride down to Greycliffs Tuesday to meet up with everyone camping there that night and then ride the rest of the MT1000 route.