MT1000 2nd running

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jjmyzrider, Mar 2, 2011.

1. triple3jrb

triple3jrb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a time?
  2. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    This is a bit of an un-rally. That is, it's not overly organized or regimented- and I wouldn't want it any other way. As memory serves we left around 9:00 - 9:30 am last year, with people heading out in small groups.
  3. Sickyl

Sickyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any prizes for the smallest bike to complete the MT1000? :ricky
  4. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Doing my annual attempt at learning how to upload files to my GPS now. :huh I'll be heading to Darby tomorrow with my buddy Joel, see YFFs there!
  5. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Took a look at the route north of Stevensville yesterday. The roads from the turn on the East side Hwy to Florence run into private roads. Ran into private roads and it didn't look like there was a public road connection on the east side of the Bitterroot towards Lolo so continuing on to Florence and up 93 might be something to consider...not much of a detour.

I have commitments tonight so will be joining the procession in progress for Day 1 Sunday morning. Will be leaving Stevensville area taking US 12 from Lolo to Graves Ck then across over to I90 at the Petty Ck Exit where the official route crosses and heads north of I90. Let the adventure begin.
  6. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    How about calling it 9:30? I have the routes on my netbook and can share if anyone needs them
  7. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A nice group of us are at the campground across from Logger Days. We've been getting pumped up for doing this once again.

Tim in Burien, WA
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    The mt1k v2 started this morning with 17 riders.

Unfortunately, one of them was not Snr Moment. He had a getoff in Missoula yesterday. Not sure of the circumstances, but he is in the hospital and beginning his recovery. Sounds like he may be there for a few days.

I have his gear and will be dropping it off to his family in a while
  9. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Oh man! Sorry to hear that!

I'll still be trying to join up with a group Tuesday evening at one of the Greycliffs camp spots.
  10. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Saw Brian. He is really out of it. He actually went down on Friday morning on the Skalkaho pass road. He doesn't remember much of the incident. He got his bell rung pretty well.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  11. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Sorry all; been at our cow camp; no phone, internet, etc. Just got back and lots of catching up to do. Looks like I won't make any of the MT 1k and probably not West Fest either.
    Whew! I'll see if I can get something on the web, but will be moot in about a day.
  12. kenfm2000

kenfm2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and two other KLR riders went up the Little wolf creek road today which is part of day 2 for the MT1000. Now I wouldn't consider my riding skills to be great or even average and we did make it it to the top of rogers without any of the three bikes being laid down at all. Hopefully the guys coming down that road tomorrow have the same luck. I am not sure what all bikes are being used but there is some sections of the road that would be much better suited to dirt bikes or if not maybe some riders with better skills than mine. There is one good creek crossing with a couple smaller other ones. Some sections of some fairly rocky terrain.

It definitely was a blast and for my skill level it felt like we accomplished something going up that road today.
  13. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
  14. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Tried calling his hospital room this morning and he has already been discharged. Hopefully he is headed home and will return all better.
  15. kenfm2000

kenfm2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting at the gas station inwolf creek. The first three riders that came off little creek road confirmed that it is not big bike friendly. They said the next group should have 2 drz 400's and 2 vstroms. I'll wait here for another hour or so to see how they make it through that road.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
  16. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guys I rode with last year on 950 and 990 adventures will have no problems with that section at all.

it is very hard to judge what is and what is not big bike friendly........so many factors, rider ability, load size, bike size, and so on and so on. what is easy to me.......is a challange for others. however that said there are many alternate roads to take. this is a guide nothing says you have to stick to it. Just be thankful you did not take that 1st alternate, it would have ended very bad, that one is a bit rougher.
  17. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:

Thanks for the update, that's good to hear.
  18. kenfm2000

kenfm2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt that there are guys capable of riding a big bike in that section with no problems. Like I said my skill level is not great and maybe not even average. I really just posted my thoughts for anyone in route that is riding a larger bike or for anyone with a lower skill level and if this post would reach them in time they might want to consider an alternate route.

For this section there was not a blue highlighted alternative route, although it's obvious one can just look at the map for any section and find an alternative route if they choose to.
  19. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Montana 1000 Inmates:

I'm leaving Darby tuesday AM on the 1000. Trying to put in a couple of longer days and catch the pack of riders.

Keep your eyes open for a silver 950 adventure. I look forward to meeting everybody.

Thanks for organizing and safe riding.
  20. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I just got home to MT (at midnight) from a quick trip to MN and am leaving at noon. I'll catch up to you guys down south of Three Forks at the Greycliff campground this afternoon. I know there are three campground waypoints posted down there, but they are close together. If I get down there early, I'll scope them out and try to reserve a bunch of spots in the best one. See you all tonight. :thumb