MT1000 2nd running

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jjmyzrider, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Quick note for any of the active riders that may get in position to catch this (I forgot to catch your cell phone numbers - mine is 406-360-7813). This is Ron. I will be overnight in Helena, need to have the rear brake lever bracket overnighted so I won't be hitting Greycliff today. Hopefully will reconnect tommorrow somewhere. I am already planning some intersting options in my mind to avoid dirt from Helena either east, south, or straight across the Elkhorns.

(For the record, fallout from a loose license plate, an instant freeze of the rear tire doing 45 down Magpie, counting my leather jacket as well paid for, and above all the commraderie of a great bunch of riders - none of which complained a bit about the Roger's Pass to Wolf Creek section - the camground host at Canyon Ferry is another story for the fires at Darby this weekend.)

Ron - riding the KLR with the majic carpet ride.
  2. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your spill, Ron. Bike issues must be in the air. I didn't head down to Greycliff tonight either. Had an issue with a rounded off chain adjuster nut and a few other non-bike things that set me behind. Rather than run down and sleep with potential wind and storms tonight, I'm leaving at dawn to roll in while everyone is having breakfast and packing up. I plan on getting down there around 7AM - 8AM as I don't when the groups are planning on getting on the road. If they are gone when I get there, I'll be able to catch them...maybe. :p3rry
  3. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the "overnight delivery" which translates to sometime in the morning so I will be getting a later start out of Helena in the morning. Thinking of Oro Fino to Basin (side track through the Wickes tunnel??) then west on I15 to Bernice and over Champion Pass to Deer Lodge, then Anaconda and south to Bannack via scenic byway through Polaris and catching up tommorrow night at the designated site. Least pavement (avoidance) I can think of and still get where I need to at a reasonable time.
  4. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Spoke a little too soon yesterday. He has been discharged from St Pats, but obviously just so he could be transferred home. He is in St Vincents in Billings now, still in intensive care so still needs your prayers.
  5. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy:

Made it to wolf creek tonight and will be back at it in the morning. Great route!

No totally clear in the workable day 2 re route. Can't download gpx tracks from my camp.

Looks like I'll fumble around and hopefully run into some fellow riders soon.

My thoughts to the injured rider, hope he heals up 100% soon.

Everybody be safe and have fun.
  6. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the end of day 4 we're camped at the Eureka unimproved campground at the end of the Gravellies waiting for the rest of the group. Riding the Gravelly Range needs to be on your bucket list. Simply awesome.

Tim in Burien, WA
  7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Hi Timmer,

Sounds like you're holed up in heaven up there - wish I was along for the ride with you this year. Lots of adventure and excitement already, with breakages and crashing. (Sending lots of healing energy out to Senior Moment for a full and speedy recovery.)

Watch out for bears for real in the Gravelly's this year, and have a great ride!

All the best

Stovey
  8. Timmer

Oddometer:
    Six of us are now in Lima for lunch at Jan's Cafe. Another part of the group ate here earlier.

No bears last night :). Cold at 8200 feet but a great time was had by all.

Tim in Burien, WA
  9. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Perfect.....
    :clap
    Stovey
  10. Timmer

Oddometer:
    I finished the MT 1000 with breakfast in Wisdom near a fair Indian maiden :). I'm in Belgrade on my way to another rally for a few days at Big Sky.

Once again the MT1000 was great - especially the Gravellies. More later.

Tim in Burien, WA
  11. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    This should be illegal! It was way too much fun!:D

Thanks to all the riders who made this such an experience! You know who you are:clap.

Proof that life can be a blast even for us seniors on the route.

A few pics. I was either having too much fun or traveling far too fast for many more:evil MT1000v2

Ron
  12. gmsnowball

gmsnowball Black Bear Pass

Oddometer:
    Oklahoma Some Where, just east of spoobooty
    Anyone hear anything more about Snr Moment? Hope he is OK..
  13. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,
    I started a 2011 MT1000 picture thread over in the Pics,Pics,Pics subforum: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709842
    Come on over and post up some of your pictures in the thread or post a link to your image collection (as Wansfel did above).

Great ride! :clap
    Chad
  14. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    Excellent event again this year. Many thanks to the Montana crew who put the routes, info and website together. Great job! :clap

Oh- and thanks for ordering up great weather again this year too.
  15. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Back in town for a day.
    It sounds like most of the pack went via the Reservoir Lake - Wisdom alternate on days 5 and six?? Where did most camp on day 5? How was it?

Just curious since I wasn't able to make it. :2cry

md
  16. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    You are welcome!

It gave us something to do when the snow was flying :D I assume the route files, maps etc. posted to the web page didn't send anyone off of a cliff or anything? It did me good to see a printout of the Day 4 map on your tank.

Cheers,

md
  17. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Neither Chains45 nor I have heard anything recently. Brian was banged up pretty good and likely won't be typing for a while. Last word we had was that they had moved him closer to home.
  18. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    I ran into 4 locked gates on private ground, but that's to be expected. Gates that might be open for the pre-ride, may be closed for the "tourist" season. No matter. It just adds a bit to the challenge. One did leave me a bit short of gas and I ran dry 200 yards shy of the gas station in Wisdom. :eek1

I always enjoy my time in Montana and always meet interesting people. This time around I met Gene, an 83 year old rancher in Dell. An amazing fella if I've ever met one.

Thanks again for sharing your part of the world with an appreciative crowd.
  19. Timmer

Oddometer:
    The group of 5-7 I was with camped at the following locations:

Night 1-Seely Lake NF campground on the backside of the lake from the town

Night 2- Canyon Ferry Lake picnic area north of the dam. Free! A few camped at the suggested lake on the route to White Sulphur Springs

Night 3- Madison River

Night 4- South end of the Gravellies about 3 miles from the end of the day's route at 8,000 feet in a large hunter's camp with unlimited firewood. Great camping location.

Night 5- Reserve Lake NF campground. Little firewood & lots of mosquitos.

Tapped from my phone from Moses Lake on my ride home.

Tim in Burien, WA
  20. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Day 4 - I road down to Greycliff and caught up to a group just as they left Greycliff then we enjoyed following the paint line removal operation on the way to Norris. That night, we road to the end of Day 4 and had so much daylight left, that we road part of Day 5 on into Lima. Ate at the cafe there, visited with Nick Sanders,, camped and showered at the Lima RV park, ate at the Cafe again, then hit the road.

Day 5 - We took a detour through the Tendoy's rather than around them. Had a great time as I'd wanted to go ride those trails for a long time. We were 1/2 day ahead of schedule, so went for it. Our group of 8 split up when we got to a point that was kind of gnarly. We met back up at Reservoir campground that night.

Day 6 - Into Darby.