MT5001 5 inch Android Motorcycle GPS Navigation Waterproof IPX7 with WiFi, Bluethooth, FM

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ygal, May 1, 2017.

1. Mr. M

Mr. M huh?

Oddometer:
    The pins in the cradle are extremely sharp. And therefore ruining the contact-plates of the unit.
    I sandpapered them immediately to blunt stumps. Use Vaseline to keep moister out. A bit greasy is good.
  2. SHeva4ever

SHeva4ever n00b

Oddometer:
    I can see that wear only on + and - contacts. I belive those contacts are weak and small for this current. But I can be wrong.

Attached Files:

3. Mr. M

Mr. M huh?

Oddometer:
    Yep, make them blunt/stump:
    Mine are still 100% ok.
    By the way, I gave this feedback to Prolech as well.
  4. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:

You folks are digging into the development of this unit.... to compare what you are doing selflessly ... . some internet drone site members were in direct contact with company developers of Gitup git2 action cams ..the Gitup company actually created a member profile on the drone site.
    Might be worth a pitch to the Prolech as their attractive price would draw many ...not wanting to pony up the $$ for the new trail tech voyager pro unit$$$$.

5. D4rk4

D4rk4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trailtech Voyager it's not GPS Navi unit, it just dash with track record. Yes it's can be loaded with something looking like map, but it working like crap. And my Voyager compleatly dead after autumn rains in Moscow (it's not tropical rain).
  6. MalcolmReynolds

MalcolmReynolds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So are these units ready to be a cheap replacement for a Tom Tom or Garmin or should we wait?
  7. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They always have been. Just depends what you want from a GPS. Personally, I would never use a Garmin again. Had a Zumo 395 and was possibly the worst GPS i have had the misfortune to use. I ride roads only and want decent POI management so these fit my bill perfectly.
  8. MalcolmReynolds

MalcolmReynolds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Earlier in the thread it was noted that you can't see the screen? What has been your experience with the screen? I see they have the 1gb model out now, but still running Kit Kat. So was wondering if these are usable and as convenient as my car Garmin's have been.
  9. TA52477

TA52477 off the road again

Oddometer:
    I´m not really satisfied with the device. It´s too slow and, despite Prolechs promises, there are no updates available. My old Sony Z2 phone does the job better and is even better readable outdoors. The installed iGo navigation software is not suitable for motobike use. I tried some other and use OsmAnd now. The next device will be a real waterproof outdoor smartphone with 5+" and wireless charging.
  10. travisn000

travisn000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Honzajz

Honzajz n00b

Oddometer:
    do anyone try to do ROOT on Karadar? I'm trying to find information and there is nothing else.
  12. SHeva4ever

SHeva4ever n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve root my device. I think it was kingroot application. Because the device have so small amount of ram it takes 2-3 tries to root it. But it works fine and I can see/modify system files now. RootChecker also shw it as rooted now
  13. Honzajz

Honzajz n00b

Oddometer:
    did anyone try to replace the original gps chip? I would like to replace the gps chip for better with a stronger signal. can anyone recommend?
  14. SHeva4ever

SHeva4ever n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve try 2 different gps modules and it was a waste of money. I want to have faster fix, but it’s still about 5-7 min cold start. Original module is ublox m7n. I’ve used m8n. I belive it is so slow because those modules are chiniese fake from ali/gearbest/bangood.
  15. Honzajz

Honzajz n00b

Oddometer:
    And some tip what would you recommend to try? you should not be joining a new module somewhere. Which wires to use and where to connect?
  16. SHeva4ever

SHeva4ever n00b

Oddometer:
    There is only 3 wires inside this karadar. The black is GRD(ground), the red is positive power (I beleive it was marked as VCC on gps) and the yellow is TX(NMEA signal from gps module). You can read more here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/gps-basics/reading-gps-data

The default configuration is ok in those modules.
  17. Honzajz

Honzajz n00b

Oddometer:
    I tried root with rootroot, but it stopped at 29%. It just shines, but nothing presses and nothing reacts :-(
  18. SHeva4ever

SHeva4ever n00b

Oddometer:
    You can try to restore it using PC and USB cable
  19. Honzajz

Honzajz n00b

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I do not know how to do it :-(
  20. SHeva4ever

SHeva4ever n00b

Oddometer: