MT5001 5 inch Android Motorcycle GPS Navigation Waterproof IPX7 with WiFi, Bluethooth, FM

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ygal, May 1, 2017.

1. bkowal

bkowal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kar...866d6df&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

I have been using it for a month or so. Here is what I found:

Pros:
    • The screen is OK in the sun, as good as anything else
    • The mounting brackets are of good quality as well as the power converter.
    • Overall, the case is well built, touch screen works OK, even with gloves on
    • Software is igo8, which is quite good for street use, can be customized
    • Easy to justify $200 VS +$600 for a dedicated GPS
    • Its a full Android device, watch movies on it! Bluetooth works etc.
    • Works well in portrait mode which fits better on my bike
    Cons:
    • Its slow to boot and slow to acquire the GPS signal. If you are not in a hurry to find your way, its not a big deal. It seems unresponsive on the main screen, but that is because its not finished booting up yet, very annoying. I installed a small app that launches the GPS software which works around this problem since it will boot up to the GPS without me having to select it from the main menu. I just need to wait a couple minutes for it to all fire up.
    As a dedicated GPS device its quite good. Of course you can install and run other Android apps, but without dedicated back and home buttons its a pain to use. Besides, that what my Android phone is for, this is just a "customizable" GPS. Maybe a rugged phone would be better, but I don't have to worry about crappy USB power connections, rain or over-heating.

Bryan Kowalchuk
    webmonstro likes this.
  2. Russer

Russer n00b

Oddometer:
    I suscribe all. I don't recomend this device. Is very bad. I will kill mine and buy a rugged smartphone like doogee s60
  3. TA52477

TA52477 off the road again

Oddometer:
    I received my new all-in-one device ten days ago and a first on the bike test today was satisfying for me.
    It´s a IP68 rated Blackview BV5800 Pro rugged phone, bought in china. See details here http://www.blackview.hk/blackview-282/
    It´s not as fast as I would have desired from a current phone model, but speed is acceptable and it has a really big battery.
    The biggest benefit for me is the IP68 rating in combination with wireless charging (no quickcharge)!
    I modified my Delta Hefty XL Holder with a QI antenna, so I can leave all plugs closed using it on the bike and although the OSMand software I use needs a lot of battery power, it´still charging.

Update: I just exchanged the BV5800 pro for a BV6800pro which has double of it´s memory and therefor it´s much faster.
  4. pepetops

pepetops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And I also ended up buying a blackview bv7000pro and it is great compared to this garbage that is the mt5001, but the issue is not that, but talk about the mt5001, which in my view is the worst of the worst

Enviado desde mi ASUS_Z012D mediante Tapatalk
  5. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now thats a coincidence... I bought Blackview BV9000Pro. I'm loving the phone. Still looking at mounting options for the bike though.
  6. pepetops

pepetops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me, RAM-mount are the best...

Enviado desde mi ASUS_Z012D mediante Tapatalk
  7. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    I've been using a Blackview BV8000 as my phone for about a year now. It didn't really occur to me to use it as a motorcycle GPS until now.
    What is really a bummer is that the 9000 apparently won't work in the US from the few who have tried it.
  8. sturg

sturg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm Looking at the blackview 9500 (non pro). I'm hashing out the details to see if the phone will work on verizon but that aside how do you like your blackview?
  9. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    I really like it - I've had it about a year now.
    It's pretty much indestructible. I've literally thrown it on a concrete floor to freak out a friend, knowing it would not even get a scratch. It overheated out on the boat this summer, so I just dunked it in the lake to cool it off. This thing is tough.

Camera is decent enough, especially close-in shots. Distance shots are not as good as an iPhone or Galaxy. Call quality is very good, although call quality via hands-free bluetooth in my truck can be spotty.
    The only issue I had - I thought that it was having charging problems, but it was just pocket lint in the charging port. I LOVE that it will take dual sim cards AND an SD card at the same time. Few if any phones will do this.

My only gripe about the phone is this. Because it's a rugged phone, the outer case is very thick. Meaning a standard USB-C cable and headphone jack will not work. You need ones with longer plugs, which are not that easy to find. The headphone isn't an issue, as if I'm using headphones, it's with bluetooth. The charger is another matter. You basically have to use original Blackview cables. These can be purchased on ebay or aliexpress (I have three) but I found that sometimes what is advertised as original are not. I had one order come back with cords that did not work, and you can't just go to a store and buy a cable if you lose it on the road or something.

I don't know why they scaled back the bands on the 9000, but it looks like the 9500 might have similar specs in that regard to the 8000, which worked the second I put in my sim card.
    I would recommend one.
    sturg likes this.
  10. uglymr

uglymr n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever tried the RUNBO F1 or F2 series rugged phone? A bit expensive but BRODIT holder passive and active available plus magnetic USB connection with option of security screw on USB connection.
  11. travisn000

travisn000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it, but browsing their website, the F1 plus looks like a much better device (2x the processing power and ram, as well as support for more cellular bands)

Another similar higher spec option is the Dodgee s60 (and the Blackview previously mentioned):

https://www.pdevice.com/comparison/doogee-s60-vs-runbo-f1-plus
  12. sturg

sturg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks alot for the detail and specificity! I wouldn't have considered the thicker case issue. If that same issue is present on the 9500 wonder if my dremel could remedy that problem :lol3.
    After talking with verizon, reading about your experience and seeing the new country/phone compatibility chart that was just added on the blackview website (https://store.blackview.hk/en/network) I'm going to give this phone a shot.
  13. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    No problem. The 9500 looks like an awesome phone. May be my next phone purchase...
  14. Mr. M

Mr. M huh?

Oddometer:
    I upgrade mine to Android 6.0. But very slow start (4-5 min) and charging was a pin in the neck, implying heavy energy consumption all the way.
    I went back to Android 4.4.2 and have a fast starter again: less than a minute and I am in the main menu.
    It charges like hell again. From 70 -> 100% within 50 miles.
    I do have 1 GB of RAM.
  15. losminos

losminos n00b

Oddometer:
  16. Mr. M

Mr. M huh?

Oddometer:
    Read the post above you. I have 1 GB RAM, do not know the processor.
    This is another company, maybe it is faster.
    We still use mine, but with the 4.4.2 Android OS. Than it works fine.
  17. losminos

losminos n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey. Mr. M.
    I have seen your post, just wanted to know if the latest one which comes with Android 6.0 directly from manufacturer will be more stable...
  18. losminos

losminos n00b

Oddometer:
    VmaxChuck likes this.
  19. losminos

losminos n00b

Oddometer:
    VmaxChuck likes this.
  20. Mr. M

Mr. M huh?

Oddometer: