Multi 1100 vs. 1000 ?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nick2ny, Mar 25, 2018.

1. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A budy of mine is coming to visit me in Germany next month, and would like me to buy a motorcycle for him to rip around Europe on. I was thinking either a Vespa PX125 to cruise around backroads on, or an old Multistrada.

I like the dry clutch 1000 models, but had a question--are the Ohlins bikes better, and is the 1100 more desirable than the 1000 ? He will be riding on smooth roads around Europe and in the Alps.

I found these two :

black '09 1100 S with Ohlins and black wheels 60k km, 3600 euros
    Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 11.46.37 PM.png
    black '04 1000 with regular shocks and silver wheels, 68k km, 2400 euros
    Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 11.46.21 PM.png

I know those pictures are horrible.

Thank you for any pro-tips.
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    All depends on the technical condition (tires, chain, pads/disks, headstock bearings etc), service history, when was the last service done.

All things equal you want the top one, but at that age, things are never equal...

Good luck!
    Florida Lime likes this.
  3. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    +1 to the above.

Fueling was improved on the 1100, Ohlins are much better than stock and may help sell the bike when he's done riding.
  4. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    The '09 has a less frequent valve service interval, but with 60k km, it's the service history that's probably more important. Still, the 1000 will need valve service during a tour of Europe. I'd want recent belts on either one.
    Max Kool likes this.
  5. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, thank you guys.
  6. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple of other differences:

The 1100 has a rubber-mounted handlebar, intended to tune out some vibes. I think the seat was a bit better too - pretty sure they made the 1000's formerly optional 'comfort' seat standard on the 1100. The low-fuel light was tweaked to come on later (on the 1000 it lights up at half-empty). Obviously, a bit more grunt from the bigger bore.

They did extend the official valve service interval about 06 or 07 but I don't believe that reflected a mechanical change - it was just Ducati updating its recommendation from experience.
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    @Moronic is correct on all accounts. Despite improving the seat, it's still a torturous affair. It may be different for you.

If it were me, I'd buy the 1100. I loved mine.
  8. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t find the ergos on the fuglystrada weird at all, but I’m only 5’8”.
    I forget which seat mine had on it, but it’s one of the bikes I wish I could’ve kept. That 1000ds motor is a beautiful thing.
    The ohlins is worth it, as is the upgrade to the subframe gussets (especially for a loaded tour).
    Of the two, the 1100s all day.
    Lupin 3rd, JustKip and BobcatSig like this.
  9. TWC4

TWC4 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only spent a little time on the 1000... An 04 I think. The bike I wanna say had upwards of 50k on the odometer and had been well cared for but in no means babied. It was ridden hard at times by the owner and when he threw me keys his only comment was ride it like you stole it and I did. I absolutely fell in love with the bike and could be buying one in the very very near future. I'm 5'11" and the bike was very comfy, the Ergonomics were a bit off but nothing that some wrenching and 10 minutes wouldn't fix. The 1000 was an absolute blast to ride and I'd buy one in a heart beat if it weren't for the 1100S. In my very limited experience with the multi's the 1100S is the way to go all things being equal BUT (again limited experience) they both are a kick in the pants to ride.

hope this helped.
    TWC4
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put around 40000 km on my 1000DS, with an 1100ds seat. the assessments above are accurate but I would take either bike, the 1000 is saving you a few $$$ and is a great bike, have to reiterate though for me it would come down to the maintenance records , Loved the dry clutch

IMG_5945.JPG
  11. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    My '04 has only 5100 miles! It needs a new owner. It's just too cramped for a 6'-4" rider. For sale in Flea Market and Atlanta Craigslist.