Multi-Tools

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by skysailor, Dec 15, 2015.

1. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    I have Leatherman Supertool 300 Oxyde. It has been traveling with me for approx 6 years now.
    Honestly to say I would love it much more if it has scissors with it.

[​IMG]
  2. GerJ

GerJ Blijde rijder

Oddometer:
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rule number one of owning a muti tool.
    Don't let anyone borrow it. When/if you get it back something will be broken on it.
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the original Leatherman PST from the early/mid '80s, a gift from my brother. I always carry it fishing (pliers are great for hook removal, file for quick hook sharpen), and it goes into my knapsack when hiking or snow-shoeing.

PST.png

I have looked at newer, sexier ones, but mine has sentimental value and it as works as well as it did when new, so I'll stick with this one.

I use a small-but-sturdy locking Buck 170 folder as my EDC. I don't go out without it. Blade is 2-1/4", open around 5-5/8".

mEsv8ny3kzYfHG4AWjYSj3g.jpg
  5. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a Leatherman Supertool from way back when (early 90's) but honestly don't use it a whole lot. I mean it's neat, and I love the idea, but in use I've found it's a bit too heavy for my liking to constantly lug about for every day carry, and when I have used the pliers, I can't get enough of a gripping force on the item without cutting my palms on the rather sharpish exposed edges of the blades compartments.

I always take it with me when on my motorcycles or camping etc., because then I have suitable gloves with me, and I can stow the tool in a bike or a pack, rather than on a belt loop or a jacket pocket, where it becomes a bit cumbersome and I don't happen to have gloves at the ready.
  6. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Victorinox Spirit or Spirit X, which I have carried for about ten years.

I've had a number of Leatherman tools and they are good, but I've given or traded them all away. The Vic Spirit has great build quality and a useful array of implements, all of which lock and can be opened without unfolding the pliers.

[​IMG]
    Bhart89 likes this.
  7. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Original Leatherman, then went to the Wave. I use it every day.
    I've had a couple Gerbers and a SOG but prefer the Leatherman. I sure like the story about the awesome customer service from that bunch. Figures a bunch of Oregonians would be like that.
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  8. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same one in my tool roll. It's beautifully made and tiny. The problem is, I never use it...mostly keep it because of the wire strippers.
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I normally carry a modified Gerber MP600. This:

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

I added the scissors and saw from a Gerber Diesel, removing the small flat-head driver and the serrated blade to do so. I replaced the plain blade with a combo blade from a different MP600. The plier heads I re-shaped into a curved form for more access to small areas, and so that they completely slide into the handles, without any bits sticking out the end. I also shimmed the handles so they are a bit more splayed out. (trimming the tip of the jaws caused the handles to close a little bit more, the shims return it to stock operation).

I also added a pocket clip. I needed special carbide drill bits and an expensive tap with a lot of lubricating oil to get through the handles, but it was worth it. I love this tool!

Charles.
    jon_l and team ftb like this.
  10. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gerber guy here. I buy a new one annually, because I can't get through a year without forgetting it's on my belt & the TSA takes it away.
    Gymbo likes this.
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Leatherman Micra in each first aid kit - truck and boat. It is a really good tool for that.

I also have the first iteration of SOG Paratool. I have carried it in my work truck and in the field for over 25 years. It is a little wonky and heavy compared to more modern tools. But it also has seriously high quality stainless components. The knife and serrated blades are the real deal.
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got the SOG Sync II for Christmas as well. It's a belt buckle that unfolds into useable (and actually quite robust) pliers, along with a locking blade, scissors, file, and three screwdrivers. Great for when I don't want to be over-burdened with gear. I can keep this on while riding, and not have to worry about a big metal tool in my pocket or strapped to my belt, which might injure me in a crash.

Charles.
  13. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Super Tool resides in my bike tool kit.
  14. Clo-z-nuff

Clo-z-nuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Surge for me. I find myself using the blade daily and at least one of the other tools also. It is big and heavy but after about 3 years of it on my belt everyday it doesn’t feel right if it’s not there.
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Been using a Gerber since 94. Love being able to hold something, and deploy it one handed.

Then, I think it was 15 years ago, I got the Gerber Recoil. More recent iterations were called auto-pliers. But so much for the spring loaded function, but that I could not only pop out the pliers one handed and use them, but that I could do the same with the knife, as the 'bits' aren't internal to the handles, but external.

It's been everywhere with me. Deployments, vacations, jobs, bike trips, you name it. Nothing comes close to it.

Went to buy one for my son, who just finished basic, and they're unicorns now. Can't find one anywhere. What a shame, for a working, use it several times a day tool, it's been perfect for me.

I hope that somebody will come out with a replacement some day.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gerber MP600 needle-nose fan. Been using them every day at work and home since early 1990's. Bought them to give to my field crew.
  17. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of good stuff. I use leatherman because I bought one and it will never wear out. The main thing is: Does it have the tools you want, and do they lock in place. If they don't lock in place then you're looking for a world of hurt.
    toypro1 likes this.
  18. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannot overstate how important this is. Serious tool with a seriously sharp blade that folds is an amputation waiting to happen. It's why I ditched my 1st generation Leatherman.
    I'm a Scoutmaster and I end up patching up Scouts all the time because 1) they don't pay enough attention when holding an open knife and 2) most of their cheap pocket knives are not locking.
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    No one has mentioned the Leatherman Crunch - it's what I carry on the motorcycle. I used to carry a pair of small vice grips in case a gear shift fell off or a lever broke. Now with a Crunch, I don't have to carry that extra vice grip pliers. I have various other lighter mini tools I carry for hiking and hunting. As a desert rider, hiker, biker etc at least once a year I'm pulling pulling cactus spine from me or friends and needle nose pliers are really good at that.
  20. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only carry a Leatherman freestyle for multi tools. I have found for riding if I want a tool a multi tool is usually not up to the task so I carry nicer specifically tool tools with me. For everyday use carry though I have a Juice S2 that is a pretty compact option for what you get. I also have a Core that I take some times when I dont mind the weight and need a beefy classic Leatherman. For riding only the Freestyle is worth its weight to me though. Does pliers and a knife well so that 2 uses and folds up.