Multi-Tools

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by skysailor, Dec 15, 2015.

1. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love that your created exactly what you wanted. Hats off to you for the vision and execution.

I've carried a Leatherman in my toolkit since 2007 on my DS and offroad rides. The reality is...….I have only ever used it once for the knife blade to cut some fresh mango when camping. That's it. As others have pointed out when bike riding Dedicated tools are utilized when I need to fix or rig something. Now I can indeed see how they would be useful if its on your belt and its the only implement you have. I've never carried one on my hip and strangely never been in need of one and I spend 3 days per week usually riding if not on longer journeys and 3 days per week hiking in the bush. Strange thing is I still keep it in the tool kit on the outside chance I need (blade or grips). Go figure.

I just checked and have a pic of the meal I used the blade on and it's back in 2009. So 12 years and used it once...….but it worked when needed. Yet if I wouldn't have had it the mango would have ended up in my belly with no issues haha.

[​IMG]
    phreakingeek likes this.
  2. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Leatherman Supertool back in 1999, had it with me at work as an airline tech till retirement, by far the most popular brand of multitool at the airport. Always have it in the tank bag of my bike. Only realised a year ago it crimps electrical connectors nicely. Very expensive when i bought it, still looks and feels new.:*sip*
    NJ Moto likes this.
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ChopperCharles - your willingness to modify your tool to suit and the skills to pull it off are commendable. Well done!

3 years ago I posted an internet photo of my original Leatherman. This is mine:

[​IMG]

It was a gift from my brother, mid-80s, more or less (don't recall more accurately).

It always goes along on canoe trips, moto trips, and most especially, fishing. Aside from the pliers, I don't use it a lot, but like having it available. And it has sentimental value.

Pickup truck always has a bunch of edged tools:
    • mini Gerber multi-tool; I have never used it, but it is cute, was really cheap on sale, and lives in the console.
    • Wenger Swiss Army knife I have had for 20+ years, engraved with my initials. I have used the cork screw more than anything else, lives in the glove box.
    • a large snap-off blade utility knife (console).
    • a single-edge razor blade holder for removing bird shit from glass (console).
    The SAK:

[​IMG]SAK

And I always have a pocket knife, usually this one:

[​IMG]
    Spyderco Dragonfly 2
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The blade in my MP600 was the least-used tool. I always carry a pocket knife with the MP600, because it's actually kind of annoying to get the internal tools out, and it's quicker to grab a knife that is also in my pocket. I've been carrying a simple Case Sodbuster for a while, but I also rotate in swiss army knives and a Boker Tech Tool.

Recently I snagged a Gerber Center Drive... and so far I love the tool! Having a real screwdriver with an extended reach on a multitool is unheard of. But it also is located in the center of the handle (due to the angle of the dangle), so it spins like a normal screwedriver. (Granted, a rectangle-shaped screwdriver, but it's far more comfortable to use than a driver on one side of the tool). The knife blade is one-hand opening on the exterior of the tool, and so now I don't need to carry a pocket knife with me. This Center Drive does it all. The jaws are even spring-loaded.

Now, since the blade and screwdriver take up an entire handle, the rest of the tools are more minimalist. That's not a bad thing, as there are 3 or 4 drivers in an MP600, depending on the model, as well as a bottle and can opener. The driver tools are now unneeded, and the can and bottle openers have been combined with a prybar/nail puller tool. The big missing tools are the saw and scissors. They do sell a Center Drive with scissors, but it costs $125... I snagged this for $60, with a gun cleaning kit, a maglite, and a small molle bag. (The bag I will repurpose as a first aid kit) I will have to decide if scissors or a saw are more important to me. Probably scissors, but I'm not sure yet. I'll mod this eventually, when I find another parts Diesel for dirt cheap.

Also, I added a clip to this first thing. I also broke my tap.. the handles are HARD! But I made it through eventually.

Pic shows my modded MP600 on top, my new modded Center Drive on the bottom, and the left is the carcass of a Diesel that I practiced drilling and tapping with.
    IMG_6126.jpg

Charles.
    toypro1 likes this.
  5. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Juice S2
    Fits perfect in the little coin/watch pocket on the front of most blue jeans. A small loop of leather shoestring makes a great lanyard for easy retrieval.

The can opener is also perfect for cardboard boxes, saves a lot of wear on the blade.
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody mentioned the skeletool? I have to admit I get loads of multitools free through work, but this is the only one I keep. I end up giving most of the others away. It has just enough to be useful and isn't tool bulky. Pliers, blade, bottle opener, screwdriver - that's enough for me. It has a clip for your pocket or a carabiner-type clip for a belt loop. Not cheap though, especially the CX version.
    [​IMG]
    nzrian and Reklaw59 like this.
  7. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my Skeltool CX.

One of the thing that I personally care (but almost never mentioned in Youtube multi tool review video ) is
    the screw driver’s reach.

[​IMG]

As you can see, highly regarded Leatherman Rebar isn’t that great a multi tool if you use it for (the mild case of) emergency vehicle repair, etc (working on anything that are made out of bolts & nuts, that’s what I mean. If you use Rebar
    in the woods, that is a totally different story.)

I mostly carry Sleltool CX. And long shank screw driver bit (for Leatherman MUT) is always kept in my wallet.
    So, I can have long reach screwdriver when I need.
    (I forgot to take photo, but this set up also works for Wave, Charge TTi, etc.)

[​IMG]

I like MUT. Usually it’s in my tail bag when I go for a ride.

Another thing that is not so great about Rebar.

[​IMG]

Replaceable wire cutter blades cover almost 30% of the plier jaw. Again, this may not mean that much when you are working on wood, but makes this multi tool pretty impractical otherwise.
  8. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And, the repost of what I wrote in another thread.

How do you unzip / cut / trim zip-ties
    when you don’t have the right tool?

If you are a motorcyclist, you know that the zip-ties are god send.
    They are so useful, everyone says you should carry some for emergency
    situations.

But, how do you cut / unzip / trim them
    when you are out on the road, when you don’t have the right tool ?

The video shows some examples of how to do it, with your EDC items.

These are the right tools (flush cutter) for the job.
    (From left to right, Klein, Xcelite, Snap-On)

[​IMG]

But, most probably you wouldn’t carry this with you all the time, would you?
    (The smaller ones can be carried in a tool roll, or your “grab & go” bag .

[​IMG]

Squirt ES4 (or PS4), small nail clipper, and 3.5” blade folder, this set up you can carry as part of your EDC no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can live with carrying 8oz plus weight, some of the bigger multi tools are also nice to have.
    (From left to right, Gerber Center Drive, Leatherman Charge TTi, Leatherman MUT)

[​IMG]
  9. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Sideclip. I have carried one for over 20 years. Long retired, but I feel they are the best confluence in size, weight, usability. Clips inside your pocket outta box. Once they were discontinued, I purchased several to last me in case I lose one. They go for crazy prices on eBay now. Some know. BTW, I think the original price was between $25-$30.
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I also always have a Swiss Army knife on the bike or my person, and SAK scissors are GREAT for zip ties. Especially the scissors in the Boker tech tool I’ve been carrying lately.

Charles.
  11. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Leatherman Micra cuts zip ties easily. Also has other useful stuff like tweezers and an eyeglass screwdriver. Fits in the watch pocket of jeans.
    [​IMG]
  12. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Leatherman on each of my bikes. A Wave on my ADV bike and a Sidekick on the road bike. Figure they're good insurance against the more random issues you can face that a standard tool kit can struggle with.
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I replace the pliers that come with all of my motorcycle tool kits with a Gerber mp600. They’re cheap and plentiful used on eBay, they’re not much larger than a pair of pliers, and they fit nicely in an OEM toolbox. For really tight tool boxes the vintage non-locking Gerber multi pliers work great.

Charles
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Another great one for a moto toolkit is the leatherman squirt ES4. Instead of pliers it has an ingenious little wire stripper and tiny pliers tips that are perfect for pushing bullet connectors together. It’s extremely useful for a vintage bike owner... that along with a pocket butane soldering iron has saved my butt on road trips.

I mean, I suppose I could have lived without my turn signals, but 15 minutes of troubleshooting and then 10 min of crimping and soldering some new connectors at the campground made me a lot happier.

Plus the soldering iron doubles as a butane torch, which makes starting campfires a breeze. Cheating perhaps, but when it’s wet and shitty and you’re cold... well, anything that helps.

Charles.
  15. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Sidekick for me - no real reason I picked it other than I was a Buell fanbay back when they were still a thing, and Erik had started his new EBR company and an EBR branded sidekick was something they sold.

I've used the screw driver a handful of times, and the pliers saved my ass on the side of a freeway when I had a poorly adjusted rear brake pedal that was causing the rear wheel to lock up.

I don't really carry it on me, but I keep it in my backpack or tank bag.
  16. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just reviewed 13 Multitools for a magazine for hunters (that´s why the knives can be seen in the picture).

Gave top ratings to SOG Poweraccess Deluxe, Gerber Fullsized Multitool and Victorinox CyberTool (excellent bits screwdriver). Gerber Center Drive was close to the top but did not make it all the way :-)! upload_2019-6-18_19-35-2.jpeg
    Schuk likes this.
  17. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know the model but my Leatherman is a 98. Easily flips open and closed but it didn't when it was new. I need to send it in and get it refurbished if they still do it. I was going to yrs ago but didn't want to risk it getting lost--sentimental crap.
  18. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Micra is a permanent fixture on my keychain.
    Carry a Leatherman Crunch in MC tankbag and another one that I rescued in center console of my 4 wheel transport.

JR356
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I’ve been wanting a crunch for a while! How do you like it?!

Charles.
  20. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a link to the review