Multi-Tools

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by skysailor, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, but the review is written in Swedish. Still want to see the link?
  2. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I can't even say pannkaka in Swedish. Maybe google translate would work so sure I'll give it a shot.
  3. Photowriter

Oddometer:
  4. BornAgain

Oddometer:
    Looks like a really good write up no luck with the translation even this guy was no help
    [​IMG]

and I have a Gerber center drive. It goes with me on the bike but for everyday carry I find it too bulky. I'm looking of something less bulky for everyday use.
    JensEskildsen likes this.
  5. Photowriter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I am always carrying a Victorinox Cybertool, it has helped me numerous of times over the years. It even holds a small pen and a screwdriver for very small screws like the ones on glasses.
    But when on a bike there is also a larger Leatherman type tool in one of the panniers.
  6. BornAgain

Oddometer:
    Thanks that looks interesting
  7. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I like them,but really little use by me,as knock on wood I have not had any roadside emergencies in quite a while.
    The Micra gets used weekly in some fashion:thumb

JR356
  8. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 3 multitools in my toolkit: SOG Pocket Power Plier, Leatherman Style CS and a Victorinox Soldier ('61 pattern).
    toolkit4.jpg

The discontinued SOG Pocket Power Plier has its pros and cons. The compound-leverage pliers give good grip and the wire cutters are very good. But the thin metal handles are uncomfortable. Most of the other standard tools on it are a bit rubbish. SOG's scissors are particularly poor. But on this model the handle tools are user-replaceable so I switched in SOG's V-cutter and wire stripper tools, which both work pretty well.

I've tried quite a few keychain-sized scissors multitools. The Style CS and the Leatherman Micra are the only ones I've found that can cut a 5mm cable tie with the tip of the scissors. Probably the Squirt S4 would as well, it's a shame Leatherman don't make that one any more.
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t love the power plier because the handle splay is so large for larger bolts, garden hoses, or the like that it’s hard to put adequate force on the handles - even with the compound leverage. It’s a super cool idea though, just not for me.

Charles.
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Micras live in my boat and truck first aid kits. Those kits get used. So I like having a decent pair of scissors and tweezers in them. That's my all time favorite multitool.
  11. Photowriter

Oddometer:
    New alternative

12. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Wave in the tank bag and SOG PowerPint in my pocket.
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    That Free is interesting. It's a different take on the Swiss Army Knife. Bit larger than even the Boker Tech Tool, which I'm currently in love with. :)

Charles.
  14. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Well, just looking at the kit, it appears to take up more space than a kit full of regular tools would. The weird handles also limit access to some nuts and bolts.

I find that a small socket set takes up less space than wrenches, is far more useful, and also a lot easier to use when it comes time to take stuff apart.

Charles.
  16. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    As many others have suggested I have a Leatherman Wave on each of my bikes along with the bit kit and extension. I used to have the older model Wave but upgraded to the newer one a couple years back. At the time I did a ton of research on tools and Leatherman models and from a bang for the buck perspective the Wave seemed hands down the way to go. It has everything I need and would use .. believe there are 17 tools on it. Oh ..... and if you ever research the Leatherman Tools there are a TON of YouTube videos on the tools. These guys have WAY Too much time on their hands.

When I travel off the bike I always have a Swiss Army Knife "Champ" model with me.
  17. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience with Bear Jaws multi tools? I’m thinking about a pair with the big ass scissors/shears in place of the pliers head. It would go in my first aid kit.

Charles.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Also this is my EDC for today.

755923A7-1E38-4AB1-9973-4CBAE9F8C5EB.jpeg

Plus the phone, of course.

Clockwise from the left, I have an Original Grain barrel watch, a SOG Sync II belt buckle multi tool, a mag lite solitaire with a red LED, which fits in my coin pocket, the key to my SSR Buccaneer, which has a Schrade DL-2 knife on it (same as a victorinox Classic SD, but with better scissors and prettier scales), my wallet, a Case Sodbuster (large), and a modified Gerber Center Drive (added a saw holder from an mp600 pro scout, and a titanium clip)

Charles.
  19. BornAgain

Oddometer:
    Nice collection. How hard was it to put the clip on your Center Drive? That Sodbuster looks like its carbon steel?
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yup, I paid extra for a red-handled knife with a CV blade. The yellow was only $30, but I had to have the red for $50. It’s easily my favorite knife.

The clip was not exactly easy, but if you have a drill press, some drill bits made for drilling through hardened steel, and some patience, it’s doable. The tap rotates just a hair at a time. It takes 10 min to tap one hole, and you need a high quality Irwin tap. Use a heavy oil for cutting lube. You’ll need to tap either 4-40 or 3mm threads, and turn down the heads of the screws until they fit through the hole in the handle. (Just chuck them in the drill press and hold a file against the edge)

201949C9-1322-48EE-98BE-6EEBE16E0CB9.jpeg

81CE6707-3AA0-4A71-A053-FBE3338FB46A.jpeg

Charles.