Multi-Tools

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by skysailor, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Liko

Liko Got probe?

Oddometer:
    In college I got involved with a project in Baja Sur. A small community of people who were struggling with their gardens. I went down with a couple other students and did soil samples and such but what they really needed was irrigation supplies.

With the help of a course instructor and a business connection I had in Mexicali we got them training, materials and set up several systems. During the install of each system (one per weekend trip) I'd end up giving away my Leatherman so I bought about 20 of them and gave them all away.
  2. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m another fan of the Leatherman Juice S2 for EDC. On rides,a Leatherman Wave goes in the tank bag or on my belt.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do like modding Gerbers with clips and contrasting colors. My latest is a diesel.

6E7C0443-8D39-4DF1-B334-73468FA0F43D.jpeg

8794A6AD-FA44-48CE-ADF5-CD386007AF21.jpeg

The diesel has a couple of advantages over the MP 600. It has a slightly wider handle splay, which makes it more comfortable me to use. It has longer scissors, a beefier flat driver, and a wood saw. Unfortunately it also has weaker pliers with thinner tips which often don’t line up, and a 2.5D Phillips driver instead of the beefy 3d driver in the mp600. Still it’s a very good tool, especially if you need a very small needle nose at the tips. The bigger scissors, woodsaw, and thin tips make it a good fishing tool. The clip makes it easy to carry anywhere, without belt holsters.

Charles.
  4. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leatherman MUT & Gerber Center Drive

I'm not bashing Center Drive.
    I like mine.
    But, .... in a situation like this ...

[​IMG]

MUT wins.
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see that. But in the first case any bitdriver style screwdriver was going to have an issue in a tight space. AND you could have just used a longer-shank phillips driver. The thing about the CD is, it feels like a normal screwdriver to operate. It's one-handed, where the MUT appears to be a two-handed screwdriver operation because of it's odd shape. The CD is also big and beefy, and I can use ANY bit. Which means, I have a selection of JIS bits, and the driver can work on old vintage Japanese bikes without tearing them up. The leatherman bits are quite limited, you can only use the ones Leatherman sells. I have those JIS bits to security torx and everything inbetween for the CD.

The CD isn't perfect. The pliers are needle nosed, and I vastly prefer blunt nosed. Tehy don't open as wide as an MP600, likely due to the spring-loaded nature. The tool selection is somewhat limited too, but you can mix and match tools from an MP600 so that's not as big of a deal.

Charles.
  6. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my leatherman crunch for what it does, but it gives up a lot of other features to do it. I wouldn't carry it as my only multitool, but it's nice to have in my generic gear bag.
    Fosters likes this.