Multi v4 on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nostatic, Aug 10, 2018.

1. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another very good point. But we already have the KTM 1290 for that, which is about 10k cheaper than the V4.

We'll see how it pans out for Ducati on this. I'm sure they'll sell loads initially, but how long people hang on to them is another question. I just hope they don't start doing what KTM does and offer huge discounts when they don't sell as many as they thought they would.
  2. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m sure I read somewhere that Ducati had more than one model in mind for this engine. And when you think about it, that makes sense. Otherwise it’s a huge amount of development work just for one bike that may or may not hit the spot.

So then the question is what will be these other models.

For people who ride only asphalt and want a Multi on 17s, what do you like about the extra height of the Multi and the long suspension travel?

If you’re never leaving the tar, would a shorter bike with, say, 130mm front and 150mm rear travel - about what my Monster has - be better? Or does the height itself bring advantages that outweigh the higher mass centre?
  3. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be willing to bet a V4 multi with 17's front and back is already in the works.
    brianpc likes this.
  4. DevDel

DevDel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they worked really hard to divert the radiator heat, and the gills look good too.
    But what the heck are the scoops below the radiator for? They look like air scoops for the rear cylinders of a Buell or something. Are they trying to disperse rear cylinder heat?

The guys calling out for 17 fronts...what is your reasoning? That is just a race track standard IMHO, and we can still touch the pegs with 19/TKC 80s (on a GS anyway)

Love the looks of this bike, hope it gives BMW a run for their money.
    DakarBlues likes this.
  5. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume the scoops are for generating downforce. Not certain though.
  6. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am betting you're right, but my 100% scientifically accurate assessment of forum posts by most previous / current Multistrada owners says nobody wanted something closer-aligned to the GS, and I'm betting that number of people is more than GS owners who would come over from a GS to a Ducati... But what do I know. Again, my numbers are 100% science!!!!! :D

- Street-oriented riding (no dirt road use case beyond an exception or two)
    - Tire choice for street / sport touring / weekend blaster motorcycling
    - Turn-in feel (subjective, but I enjoyed this on the last 2 multi generations. Willing to reserve judgement for test ride)
    - Stand-apart distinctive personality from the GS / KTM's adventure line

Just my .02.

I read a post on another forum saying those complaining about no 17" front on the Multistrada should instead consider the V4R streetfighter. LOL.
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Well, that does make sense to the riders who would consider a SDGT instead of the Multi V4. The SFV4 is a much more akin to the SDGT.
  8. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling when folks demo ride this thing, they're going to forget all about the 19" front wheel. I'm betting I will.
    jimmex, CanineCombatives and Moronic like this.
  9. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m sure some will, but there’s no getting away from the double sided swingarm, skinny rear tyre and the looks of it!
  10. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:

For sure, and of course "looks" are subjective. I'm not a big fan of single sided swing arms so I quite look the DSS of it on the V4. As for the rest of the bike I don't see it as looking any better or worse than the previous multis. In fact I've never found any multis, going back to the first generation 2V bikes, to be all that good looking, especially given they're Ducatis, I just thought they were great performance bikes. If I were only going after looks in the ADV/ST bike market, the only consideration for me would be a MV Agusta Turismo Veloce.

I do appreciate that for those who love the multi as purely a more upright, comfortable ST bike, the 19" front tire is a disappointment. But I have to believe Ducati didn't go from a great handling bike, to a less capable bike in that regard. None of us will know till we ride it, but I have to think they made a bike that handles at least as well as the Multis before it.
    Moronic likes this.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

1) I am not trying to run anything that I can't do on street tires with 560lbs of Ducati parts prices.
    2) My Multistrada is my 2-up Sport Tourer
    3) Those TKC80s would last maybe 1500 miles with my use, hell I kill Roadtec01s in sub-3000mile ranges
    4) As a mostly street bike, I don't want the extra rotational mass that a 19" gives you,
    5) That a 19" front and a 170 rear IS going to accelerate tire wear, less surface, means more heat, which wears the tire faster, and I already run big-bike tires in 17" and fat.
  12. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't a 19 inch need less rotations per km?
    JBird likes this.
  13. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the subject of the swingarm, if Ducati painted it black, it would look a lot better. Having it in silver just makes it stand out even more. And speaking of paint, why is the right side of the engine gold, and the left side of the engine silver?
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    ...which has nothing to do with it.

[​IMG]

Mass times velocity square divided by radius.

Examined at its limits, that means that the bigger the radius is the higher F sub c is going to be, all else being equal, which is isn't.
  15. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, a black DSS would look much better. I hadn't noticed that the two sides of the engine covers were different colours. I will have to look at the pics again.
  16. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Ducati even got the colours wrong! :lol3

I am so looking forward to hearing about the ride on these.

I notice no one has taken up my invitation to explain why they like the height of the Multi so much when they're riding on tar.
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I'm not at all put off by the 19" wheel.

Consider:
    1. Counter-rotating crankshaft
    2. Shorter wheelbase
    3. Smaller fork angle
    4. Less trail

Those all lead to more responsive handling.

FFS, at least ride one before you declare that it's not suitable.
    jimmex, goodhorsey and Moronic like this.
  18. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Damn right, we are here only once, and if we are here long enough, we’ll end up where we started, in diapers. So we might as well ride while we still can!
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus, quite likely, mass centre lower and further forward from the more compact and lighter engine.
  20. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much closer to a Super Duke 1290R than a GT...
    brianpc likes this.