Multi v4 on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nostatic, Aug 10, 2018.

1. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I have the same feeling.
    If Ducati could also let us demo a new V4 17" wheel version with a lower C of G on the same roads right afterwards, that would help us remember the difference. The new V4 Multistrada that actually is being built should be a noticeable improvement for everyone over the previous model.
    pitbull likes this.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

You comparing to the 2010-2013s...or the 1260?

Because my '12 has a shorter wheelbase, less fork angle and less trail than a 1260 Compared to a single spark, it has a degree less rake, and 0.3 cm less trail and more wheelbase 1.7cm more wheel base.

I like my "twitchy" 1200S, rides like a proper sportbike until your feel start touching down.

It also weighs 525 with the luggage off and a full tank
  3. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    A buddy just bought a Streetfighter S, he keeps posting mod pics but I haven't gotten him out to ride with it yet.
  4. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    No reason to upgrade then :-).
  5. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I want that motor in my '12.
    coast range rider likes this.
  6. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Even if the torque is peakier?

there a quite a few reports / threads by the way where people prefer the front end confidence of the MTS950 over the 1260, which seems a bit less confidence inspiring.
    Moronic likes this.
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I don't have an issue winding on a motor....big RPM bands let me pick my poison, want to cruise, low RPM, want to hit a twisty run it through the mid-range, batsit crazy (with a lot of space) top end.
  8. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got issues with reading comprehension? How do these guys have hard on's for all of the other stuff they're comparing it to? This is the forum dude, this is where the discussion happens. These are guys that are passionate about the Multi and have been eagerly awaiting the all new V4 and now expressing their disappointment with what's been revealed so far.
    coast range rider likes this.
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Wow, a lot of testy folks on here for a Sunday morning.

Personally, I'm excited about the V4 and think that Ducati has really done a great job. Are there some things that I'd like to see done differently? Sure, of course there are. No vehicle I've ever owned has been 100% the way I want it.

I'm certainly going to test one and see if it'll be a better bike for me than my 1200 Enduro. If so, I'll likely purchase a V4.
    jimmex likes this.
  10. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    BTW, I did notice from a close-in overhead shot, that the brake and clutch reservoirs have mounts separate from the handguard (wind deflector) system. Apparently Ducati has learned from the DVT models' Achilles' heel in this regard.
  11. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Naai jou ma Supporter

Oddometer:
    so as people have so astutely observed, the bike hasn't been released. nobody has ridden it, never mind seen it in person. what I have a problem with is people already proclaiming it is too much like this bike or that bike, and they're not gonna buy it. if that makes *me* the dickhead, or a person with issues with reading comprehension, OK then.

all I'm saying is, we all love our Ducatis. stop jumping the gun on things you really should make up your mind about until *after* you've ridden it. you're not gonna know it is just like a KTM, or just like a Honda, or, lol, a GS, until then.
    Moronic and jimmex like this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We get it - people are passionate about their marques. But keep personal attacks and insults out of this thread - it's not JM.
    pitbull likes this.
  13. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please go re-read some of my posts, and others'. Our love for the bike is clearly apparent, and the unveiled bike is not what we expected, and is indeed more geared towards a direct GS competitor, and not what we've come to love about the multistradas to date.

Also nobody's gotten a test ride yet so there's nothing else to do but forum speculate. :D
  14. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    HP and Torque of the motor are benchmarks, but how they are applied at the rear wheel make all the difference.

2020-11-15 14_40_21-Introducing the new V4 Granturismo Engine - YouTube.png
    Moronic and Requiem84 like this.
  15. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those graphs are a little deceptive, showing just the top half. Nevertheless it looks like the V4 would have roughly 25 per cent more go for a fourth-gear overtake from 60-70mph.

OTOH you can see that the V4 in fourth is geared about the same as the V2 in third, so again it's hard to get a sense of the real on-road benefit and experience.
  16. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone with calculative smarts look at the gear ratios and tell me whether this V4 is geared 20 per cent shorter in top than the 1260?

Looks to me like the final drive and primary add up to about 4 per cent longer but the internal gearing is way shorter. If so, we might be getting a clue on the poor quoted fuel consumption.

I know the V4's peak power and torque come 10 per cent further up the rev range so you'd expect it to be geared a bit shorter but this has spooked me a little. I'm happy with GS-size wheels but I wouldn't be keen on GS style short gearing.

OTOH the V4 looks to be geared significantly taller in top than the Panigale and I've not read that they feel buzzy at cruise.
  18. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Guys report the V4S street fighters getting less than 90 miles on a 16L tank when ridden in anger.
  19. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    OK, here you go.

I used GearingCommander.com to produce these charts.
    Drive ratios for the V4 were taken from ADVPulse.com. They had 5th and 6th gear out of order, I corrected that.

Chart for the 1260, with stock gearing and tire size.

MTS1260_setup.png

MTS1260.png

Chart for the V4, with its stock gearing (entered as custom) and the 170/60 rear tire.

MTSV4_setup.png

MTSV4.png
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    So, looks to me like the V4 has a wider spread from gears 1 - 6 than the 1260 does.

(@5000 RPM, V4 speeds vary from 25.6 - 99.4, while 1260 speeds vary from 30.9 - 86.5)