Multi v4 on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nostatic, Aug 10, 2018.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is kinda what drove my forum crusade here, haha. Everybody I know who has owned/owns a Multistrada and was looking forward to the V4 bike heard the rumors, then saw the spy shots, now the reveal, and have consistently said 'no thx'. :D
    At this point I'm hopeful they've got a pikes peak or a corsa version / "R" version that is what we're all looking for.

Yikes. If the Multi has a 5.5 gal tank (have the specs been released for this yet?) and a not-as-hot version of that motor, maybe we'll see 160mi range?
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Simple math tells me that even getting only 38mpg, with a 5.8 gallon tank (that's the size on the V4) that it's got a range of 220 miles. And I think that's pessimistic.
    brianpc likes this.
  3. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too. I’m keeping everything crossed that it will follow.
  4. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    The proof will be in the ride. I'm not terribly worried about the hardcore Ducatisti and their pooh-poohing the V4 while not having ridden it. After all, I've seen firsthand what happens when a motorcycle manufacturer holds too closely to its "heritage".
    goodhorsey likes this.
  5. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose I was one of the ones who pooh-poohed. What I intended to communicate is that for me, no matter how fantastic the new bike is, I'll know it could have been better. And I don't need a test ride to know that BTW.
  6. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Naai jou ma Supporter

Oddometer:
    My whole point
    Exactly. I trust Ducati pretty implicitly. I doubt they'll try an imitate other bikes as a new direction for one of their flagship bikes, when they've been an industry leader for decades.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One or both of those charts have to be incorrect, while the internal gearbox ratios are wider in the V4 its impossible for the V4 to have a higher cruising speed (per rpm) than the 1260 as it does not have the torque to pull it (or you will be having to drop it back a couple of gears every time you wanted to overtake someone the highway) . It will be just the opposite, which is one of the contributing factors behind its poor fuel consumption
  8. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah thanks heaps for the chart @Yossarian but the jump from fourth to fifth on the V4 looks way too big. If you ran it to 9500 in fourth you’d have to drop to 5900 for a smooth change to fifth.

Is it possible the top two ratios weren’t transposed?
  9. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Wondered that myself, and thinking that perhaps the gear ratios listed on ADVPulse (my reference) are not correct. GIGO.
  10. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    And just what data do you have regarding the fuel consumption on the Multistrada V4?
  11. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that Ducati has swapped driver and driven gear tooth numbers in webpage. Not 25/29 but 29/25 actually for 5th and same error with 6th gear ratio.
  12. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI @Yossarian™ ADV Pulse has indeed reversed each of the top two ratios from what is specified on the Ducati website.

Fifth should be 29/23, and sixth 27/25 on the official numbers.

FWIW Ducati specs the Panigale V4 at Fifth 30/22 and Sixth 30/24.

Since Ducati says the Multi V4 is geared significantly taller in top than the Pani, that gives some credit to the official Ducati site.

It still leaves the V4's top ratio short of an overdrive, whereas the Multi V2s are overdriven in Fifth and Sixth.

Then again perhaps @randel is right and the Ducati site is wrong also. Might be wrong in both cases. :lol3

Looks like we're back to waiting for the ride reports.
  13. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the real ride reports.

All of the press will fawn over this bike, but it's the current owners thoughts I want to hear.
    brianpc and Moronic like this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess only what everyone else has
    V4.png
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    That is around 36mpg....so with a sub 6 gallon tank you are into an advertised 210 mile fuel range.....best case.
  16. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Maybe. I'll wait to see what the real world is. Prior bikes from Ducati have given better consumption rates than what the factory has claimed, in many cases.

In any event, it's not intended to be an NC700. ;)
  17. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you made this point well when I saw it, Tripped, but it’s stuck in my mind. Of course it’s valid for you but as a more general observation it’s more rationalisation than reason.

Sure, one can do 100km of gravel road on street tyres. So no need for the new Multi’s wheelset. OTOH, you can have a lot more fun on a gravel road on something with more bite. Anakie Wilds for example.

Again it depends on where you live, how you like to ride, etc. On the Australian east coast, the ability to enjoy long gravel stretches opens up a lot of good country. As well as bypassing speed enforcement and avoiding most traffic.

Again, you could get to most of these places on street 17s. But you’ve got a lot more security on something with knobs, and especially if the going gets wet or a little sandy.

I wouldn’t be fitting knobbies and then taking the bike to where I was likely to crash. More like the sort of riding shown in the promo vid - and much more often a fair bit tamer than that, and/or with a passenger. Their enduro champ test rider sure makes it look easy, and yet the bike simply looks poised: very comfortable in those big rear-wheel drifts.

So yes, having thought about it, the ability to put knobs on 17-19 rims, and possibly on spokes, would be worth more to me than the ability to fit Mich Power 5s rather than Road 5 Trails. Or more simply, just because it’s a big bike with costly parts backup doesn’t mean the chance to fit knobs must be wasted.
    pitbull and jimmex like this.
  18. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Okay above is the Multi V4 with gearing as specified on the Ducati website.

Looks like we haven't got much to worry about on the gearing front after all. About 4100 rpm @ 60mph or a tad shorter than my Monster on stock gearing, which would be absolutely fine on a V4.

Sure it is geared shorter than the 1260 twin but that is to be expected. It will still cruise at 85mph around 6000 rpm, and at max power it is running a little above 150mph which is plenty.

Looking at the torque against road speed curves @Yossarian™ posted, if you go down two gears for an overtake from 60mph (100km/h) you've got about 20 per cent more go from the V4 than the 1260, which would be very nice indeed. :D And the difference builds sharply from there.

Y'all sure you don't want one?
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That gearing makes much more sense, the other posted earlier had to be wrong
    Interesting comment there about having to drop back two gears to gain about 20% torque advantage over 1260, as I would have thought the stock gearing advantage the V4 had would have already helped a lot
    What would happen to the torque advantage if the taller geared 1260 dropped back two gears ??
  20. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it terrible that I liked the paint job on the camouflaged spy shot bike more than production?

2021_Ducati_Multistrada_V4_S_Confirmed_with_Spy_Photos_-2.jpg
    -2wheelsgood- likes this.