Multi v4 on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nostatic, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I was ambiguous. The answer to your question is what I posted above. That is, if BOTH went down two gears to fourth for the overtake, the V4 would have a 20 per cent torque advantage.

You’re also quite right that the V4 gearing advantage would help a lot if both just rolled on in top gear. But I don’t have curves that show how much.
  2. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay a back of the envelope calculation that I'll offer for speculative purposes only.

Hard to get Ducati curves for the 1260 as they've redirected all their official 1260 links to the V4. Nevertheless, going from the Cycle World dyno curve for the 1260 and multiplying by the difference between Ducati quoted and CW tested torque peaks, I'll suggest this:

The 1260 is geared slightly taller in THIRD than the V4 in fourth. If you knocked the 1260 back to third at 60mph it would pull about 5 per cent harder than the V4 in fourth initially, and as revs rose the V4 torque output would rise while the 1260s remained flat. Within margins of error though, it's a wash. The V4 in fourth will run pretty much like the 1260 in third.

What if both were rolled on for an overtake from 60mph in top gear? The V4 looks to have a huge gearing advantage, and on the Gear Commander chart anyway the 1260 is only turning around 3500 rpm (owners can confirm/disconfirm), where it appears to make about as much torque as the V4 at 4100. So the V4 should pull away from the 1260 pretty comfortably in top-gear roll-ons.

In fact the V4 in top seems to be geared lower than the 1260 in fifth, and given the similar torque outputs would likely go a bit harder.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ducati's own chart points out the gearing and torque differences. I agree 3rd gear in 1260 is roughly equivalent to 4th on V4.
    I also agree that "V4 in top seems to be geared lower than the 1260 in fifth" which is one of my concerns about this new multi, fuel range, I just cant believe a 10% increase in fuel capacity will be enough to offset the increased fuel consumption of the V4 let alone the new models main target BMW's R1250GS
  4. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    So, did they gear it like this to offset the lower torque in the lower rev range?
  5. ddddd

ddddd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the V4 has notably less torque down low and through the mid range, as such they gear it to keep the engine turn over at higher rpm
  6. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    First ride impressions incoming on 30 November 2020.
    Moronic likes this.
  8. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happened to see a ducati post on FB about the new Multi..
    Wow, if you thought it was bad here - 90% of the comments are "Ducati built a GS" and "where's the sport version". Hah!

Yeah yeah, we need to all ride it before making final judgements, but....

If they announced a Multistrada V4R with a streetfighter motor (or closer to the 200+hp promised instead of 170), 17" front wheel, and the dynamic suspension with an optional corsa mode, would you all be happy? I would.

And for the "you don't need that for the street" crowd - the streetfighter V4R has that. And it's called a STREETfighter. CHECK AND MATE!!!!!
    goodhorsey likes this.
  9. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t matter what bike it would be, people would bitch on FB anyway.
    pitbull likes this.
  10. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Uh.. I not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. 90% of most riders who buy a Multi or a GS don't ride at the pace where a shaft drive or a chain would make a noticeable difference. I've had both ( 2011 Multi touring and now a 2017 GSW) and I ride pretty aggressively. The only difference between the chain and the shaft for me was not having to worry about carrying a can of chain lube on long multi day rides and cleaning/replacing the chain. I was just joking that if they are going to chase the GS than go all in with a shaft but they would never spend the money to do that.

Don't get me wrong. I still miss the extra oomph that that brilliant Ducati engine had. Definitely a more fun bike to ride most of the time but when it started to fall apart at 17 miles I drank the koo-aid and got a GS. 27k miles and 3 years in and nothing but oil and gas. The thing feels like it could go 100k miles and still be solid as a rock. Valve inspection is cake.

If I had the coin I'd have both. Both great bikes. Never cared for the boxer motor but I'm a convert.
  11. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    In Dutch, but shows a bit of the menu and nav options etc:

[video]
  12. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I wish I had the same experience. After having a final drive seal shit the bed on day 2 of a two week trip, no more GS for me.
    rick danger likes this.
  13. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    2 GS's. 2 u-joint failures.
  14. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Im not very interested in those N=1 experiences to substantiate reliability or unreliability.

It's just N=1 or N=2. Doesn't say much.

Hey, my bike failed, so the brand is shit. Hey my bike didn't fail so the bike is great. Bleh.
  15. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear ya. My other BMW was the worst bike, reliability-wise, that I have ever owned (and that's a lot of bikes). Coupled with a very shite dealer in my neck of the woods, and I'll not be buying bavarian.

But to shaft vs. chain -- ultimately shaft wins for ease-of-use. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Moto Guzzi, etc., can all build bulletproof shaft final drives. It's a shame that not everyone can.
  16. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Wow. What year? I guess anything can happen to anything mechanical but BMW has been been making shaft driven bikes since the beginning of time so I would hope they'd have it down pretty good. I have to say the convenience of a shaft was part of my decision as I also ran an FJR for a few years and of course ( Yamaha) has zero issues.
  17. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Every bike is flawless until it isn't. And gauging from what I've read on the GS forums, that brand isn't without its issues. My own experience with my 2017.5 GS was fine, only had 1 major recall (front electronic suspension) in the 1.5 years I owned it.

Ducati - yeah, lots of little issues, but it got me across the country and back just fine. Great dealer support, too.

The ultimate in brand-hating: some people still hate on KTM from the Long Way Round. lol!
  18. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
  19. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Watched that review. Looks pretty good.

Certainly no complaints regarding the handling.
  20. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the written review: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci.../ducati-multistrada-v4-review-2021-price-spec

Pretty positive other than than the range. As someone who is also looking at the BMW R1250GS & S1000XR, this seems to straddle the two nicely. Will have to see how top heavy it feels compared to the BMW boxer. The BMW also has more height/suspension options from the factory.

Also, while it is around 15 lbs lighter than the 1250GS fueled, that's not super impressive when you consider the BMW has shaft drive and a more complicated telelever front suspension.
    Oeths likes this.