Multimeters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mach1mustang351, Jul 30, 2019.

1. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used these two meters for about 15 years.
    24094.jpeg I need to send the one on the left for rebuild and the one on the right I never liked as much, so it was my backup or if I wanted to get 2 measurements.

I might use this as a time to upgrade and use one I like as a backup.

Most of what I do is Automotive and Motorcycle diagnosis. I may use it a couple times a year for house projects.

I always thought I'd get a fluke 88 as the next meter, but am interested to see what y'all might be using
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I have a Fluke 179 at work.

We have all kinds of Flukes. Da best! :thumb
  3. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    88's are awesome. Do you need it? I have one. The lower ones are pretty nice too. As are many like what you have. If you use it alot, get something you won't wish you had gotten better.
  4. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fluke made both those meters I would wager to guess. The 88 is the top of the line Fluke automotive meter of course, but Snap On sells a few meters made for auto mechanics that are most likely variations of the Fluke 88. They are plentiful on craigslist, ebay ect for a hundred bucks used or a couple hundred new.
  5. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    I will need one. I do a ton of electrical diagnostic for my motorcycle repair business, so a good meter is a must. Are you offering one for sale?
  6. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    I also have the 88. It was about 400 bucks 25 years ago. What do they cost now?
    Only issue is about even ten years the LCD display fades out. Have to clean the back of the panel with rubbing alcohol then it's good to go.
    SmittyBlackstone and dtysdalx2 like this.
  7. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  8. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Fluke was sold off.... all made in China now. I wanted to buy a new one in about January this year & my local dealer had just sent his entire stock back to the distributor.... because they told him to. go figger. (maybe check ebay for USA versions?). anyway, he had a couple new cheena ones though. I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money for a chinglee, so I declined since my 25ish year old ones still work

if you want a gadget to check pulse width, etc you can get a portable pocket o-scope for 100 bucks. some cheaper than that, like under 50 and battery powered. chinee of course. I intend to get one... be nice to not need an extension cord
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    We just bought a 365 meter and it says it's ASSEMBLED IN CHINA.

Manuals are PRINTED IN CHINA too. So I assume it's done to increase profit margins. :dunno
    local1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an ancient Fluke 77 from the stone age and a very new(so new) I don’t even know what number it is! Almost embarrassing. Good stuff.
    trumpet and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just now saw the last two “made in china now “ posts. Say it ain’t so. Jeezuz.
    local1 likes this.
  12. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    I do need a scope. I always had a shop use one when I worked in auto shops. You can do a lot with a meter, but sometimes you just have to ha e a scope to "catch" the intermittent or smaller (not complete failure) issues.

I'm probably over thinking it, but I haven't needed a meter in 15 years, and I've never shopped for my own scope, so what I'm used to using may be junk now... If it's anything like consumer electronics, the good sruff, good value stuff, and bad stuff can change
  13. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still using a Model 77 that I picked up used about 30 years ago. I carry a cheap Triplett 2030-C under the seat of my bike.
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    My everyday multimeter is a Snap-On Vantage I've had since 1997. I guess I've got my moneys worth out of a very expensive tool at the time, and it's the best multimeter ever...but it's getting old, have gone back to the original '97 card, and the display is giving problems. So, looking at a new multimeter, not much in my now budget price range that excites.
    mach1mustang351 likes this.
  15. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    when I was in trade school in the early 2000s the vantage was the hotness. The school I went to, had them for lab use. I never bought my own because, as I said earlier, the shops I worked for had their own lab scopes and between a standalone scope, and my Snap On DMM I didn't need the graphing meter. The component testing built in was mind blowing at the time. The bad dude scan tool at the time was the snap on red brick too... So some things get better :rofl
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fluke.

You can buy them direct from China, quality still seems to be there.

Scope, as long as it's lower frequencies you can buy dirt cheap portables (DS212) (Cell phone size). The battery powered & portable makes up for the weaknesses and there aren't many of those.

Dual channel, storage etc.
  17. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  18. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    I own two Uni-T UT210 clamp multimpeters. They are fairly accurate (compared to my expensive Fluke) and are reasonably small when packed together. And having a clamp amp meter came in handy several times when searching for faults on a motorcycle. I have one in my bike toolkit, and one on the sailboat. Yes, it's a Chinese company but they seem to provide good quality for an even better price tag.
  19. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    interesting. I have an inductive ammeter attachment I use with my meters.I've never seen one of those little ones before, and it does voltage... Might be a nice extra piece to have. Thanks for the info
    SmittyBlackstone and marc-s like this.
  20. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I have a Fluke 189. I liked it so much I bought another. Made in the USA. Both agree with my Agilent 6.5 digit multimeter and also with my $20k Keysight DC power analyzer when measuring microamps.

I have a Fluke 79 I keep on my boat.

Bums me out to hear Fluke is now made in China. Glad I have the meters that I do. They have been extremely reliable and are also well ruggedized even though I try to be nice to them.
    20190731_104257.jpg