Multistrada 1200 - Has anyone solved the wind issue?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by FishrCutB8, Jul 2, 2015.

1. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    I just got a 2012 Multistrada,and while I love the bike, the wind is just awful. I have read a boatload of reviews on various screens, including Cee Baily, MRA Vario, and even Aztec spacers. It seems they solve either the buffeting problem OR the noise problem, and I am wondering if anyoe has sorted BOTH problems.

Advice, thoughts, pictures, etc. are all welcome. For the record, I am 6' tall with a 32" inseam.
  2. DesmoDucDave

DesmoDucDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my story as posted on Ducati.ms.com:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mult...quid-cooled-mts-generic-brand-specific-9.html

After much trial and error (mostly error), I found the perfect setup (for me, YMMV). I am 6'-2" with 34" inseam, wear a Schuberth C3 and Hearos ear plugs (cheap).

I had a 2010 S with an MRA Touring screen (black) and Aztec spacers. It worked much better than stock but was still loud with minimal buffeting. I traded in the 2010 for a '14 GT and kept the MRA screen.

I fabbed mounts to adapt the 3-hole screen to the 4-hole mount on the '14, plus added even more depth than I had with the Aztecs. The bottom of my screen is 1" forward from stock mounting holes and the top mounting holes are about 2" forward from stock. This makes the screen slightly more upright (now aligns perfectly with the front curve of the faring) and gives room behind the screen for airflow which greatly reduces buffeting. Plus I really liked the look of the black MRA screen.

That setup was very good with little to no buffeting and reduced noise, but I just added the MRA X-creen Sport (smoke color) and it is perfect! My helmet is VERY quiet in pure clean air, and now behind the screen it sounds the same as if I were standing on the pegs getting completely clean air. I get a small amount of airflow around the sides of the screen which is good for cooling my torso. With the X-creen, I can adjust where the airflow from the top of the screen hits me (at top of face shield is ideal for me). I have the screen set 1 or 2 clicks up from the bottom.

Buffeting: Gone. Wind noise: Gone. (OK, almost gone, but definitely the best screen setup I have tested on any bike!).

My setup is kinda convoluted because I used my old screen, but MRA has the Vario Touring screen which combines the Touring screen with a premounted X-creen, they also have a smaller Sport version of same I believe. The other difference from my setup will be the angle of the screen and the gap between the screen and the mounts. I would try the stock setup first and if not awesome, make spacers to see if that helps.

Bottom line is that no one setup will work for everyone but if you keep trying, HUGE improvements can be made.

Tried posting pics with no luck... but I did post some on the other site...
  3. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    This is great - thanks. I have found two solutions tat seem to work for people, and this is one of them. I appreciate it. So, it looks like an MRA Vario with the X at the top and Aztec spacers might do the trick, then?

I have read literally dozens of product reviews, and it always seems like a combination of two or three different tweaks and additions is what finalizes it for individual users. The other one seems to be a VStream windshield, again, with Aztec spacers. The spacers seem to move the screen forward at the bottom and evn farther at the top, to chnge the flow of air and clean it up a bit.

At the very least, I have a couple of starting points. Thanks!
  4. DesmoDucDave

DesmoDucDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My pleasure! Yes, I think the MRA Vario with Xcreen and Aztecs would be a great setup! I took mine out again today for a quick spin that became a 2-hr ride to nowhere... just could not stop! I am amazed at how much more enjoyable it is w/o the noise and buffeting.
  5. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    Received this reply via PM from desmodab to a query I had. I thought it was an excellent look at the VScreen, so I thought I would add it here. Thanks, David!

I wrote a huge write up about windscreens on ducati.ms when I got my bike about 3 years ago - I actually found it and here is some of the text and the link to the thraed is here:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/132739-vstream-8.html#post1332239

VStream Tall results

Hi guys - sorry it's taken me a while to get back on my findings with the tall VStream. I finally received the Vstream and a set of the Aztec spacers so I was able to get out play with it all to see what works best for me.

Recall that I am 6'-7" tall with a 34" inseam so way above what this bike was ever designed for. I have an Arai XD3 and should mention that I removed the visor from my XD3 for all of these tests because I found that in all conditions it was noisy and whistled. Here are my findings:

1. Stock windscreen by itself: In the full up position the wind blast hit me right in the visor and the bike was not rideable like that for me. I tried many positions but found it only worked for me in the lowest position. The wind hit me in the chest but the flow was at least smooth so rideable. The downside was in all positions it was very noisy with my XD3.

2. Stock windscreen with Aztec spacers: with Aztec's spacers there was a huge improvement from the stock windscreen. In the full up position the wind was smooth and relatively quiet. With the XD3 there was a bit wind noise at higher speeds but no heavy buffeting. I found that if I crouched down it was even quieter, but I couldn't ride any long distance like that. I was very impressed with how well the Aztecs spacers worked and I'm still on the fence on whether I will use the VStream at all or if I will just stick with the stock with Aztecs.

3. VStream windshield with it's standard mounts: the VStream is well made, is taller, and wider near the top. All in all I was very happy with the VStream windshield, but as good as it is, it's still not perfect for me. I ordered it from national Cycle and found them outstanding to deal with. Unfortunately for me, with its standard mounts it is still not out far enough at the top, and threw the wind right near the top of my helmet, more or less at the visor. This resulted in a fair amount of noise and some small buffeting. I should point out that it's much better than the stock by itself, but still not ideal for me.

Based on the above I tried option four:

4. VStream windshield with Aztec spacers: I used the short spacer from Aztec, and fabricated another one of similar length, and put them on the top two mounts then threaded the VStream's ball–ended pin mounts into those. This configuration pushed the the top of the windshield out another 20 mm or so, which redirected the wind blast just to the top of my helmet. All in all I have the most wind protection with the VStream in this position. That being said I'm still not completely happy. The VStream having a bigger surface area creates more force on the mounting points and the whole assembly flexes and moves a lot more than I'm comfortable with. I'm not concerned about anything breaking but all in all it moves around more than I would like. For now I am happiest with this set up and think it is probably as close as I can get. It is by no means bad is certainly as good as my VStrom 1000 was, so I can live with it, but I'd love to be 6 inches shorter! I should mention that I did try the VStream with the full set of Aztec spacers but didn't ride with it because in my opinion it didn't look very good.

One word on Aztecs spacers: Dave is a great guy to deal with and the spacers are very well made and install in minutes. I had them in my hands in Canada from the UK in a week. He has definitely worked out the geometry and this is in my view the optimal position for the stock windscreen - it is much quieter and very smooth. As I mentioned above, I'm still thinking of switching back but I will make my mind up after I put some more kms on the bike. I ordered some more short spacers from Aztec to replace the homemade one I used with a nice quality piece. +1 for Aztec.

I hope this information helps and if anyone wants pictures please let me know and I'll post them,

cheers and thanks for everyone's help getting me to this point,

des

The screen on my Multi is the stock screen with an add on. The wind deflector at the top is a BMW part made by Wunderlich. I bought out of Wunderlich USA in San Francisco for $130 and it works great. I am 6'-7" and it redirects the laminar flow to the top of my helmet, as opposed to my upper chest/neck where the stock screen does. The other thing I did was put on Aztec spcers. They were made by a guy in the UK called Dave - I mention him in my write up above.

Here's a link:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8110024-025.html

Bottom line - I tried all kinds of stuff and the best combo was aztec spacers + stock shield + wunderlich and this year I added a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. It's good now.
  6. DesmoDucDave

DesmoDucDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see a trend here... spacers + non-stock screen to match your height + air foil on top = quiet ride!
  7. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    Exactly right. I know it's one of those thngs that is different for every rider, but it seems strange to me that Ducati hs created a windscreen that isn't right for any rider.
  8. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Well ~ for whats it worth, 6'6" over here, MTS-PP 2012 with carbon shorty screen and no dramas with any wind-noise or buffeting while riding with Schubert C3, Schubert C3Pro and Arai XD3....
    jtclark13 and BobcatSig like this.
  9. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    Six-foot-six must be a boatload of fun in China...
  10. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    one correction - in my write up that FishrCutB8 posted above I use the STOCK '11 screen. I tried the VStream but went back to the stock.

I have also experienced the same thing TBR has - being 6'-7" I had the same issues and found that a short screen works too - the wind is heavier but smooth so less noisy. I actually rode mine with no screen to try this out.

All in all I am really impressed with the fit of the Multi on my circus-freak sized frame...

Ride on!

DD
  11. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the stock screen with Aztecs and Eagle Hiss flaps. The flaps do a good job of widening (broadening?) the air stream and pushing the envelope out past the shoulders. The Aztecs reduce buffeting , but it's still not as smooth a stream as I get on a good sports bike, but of course it offers more protection and allows for long days without any real buffeting, just a bit more noise. My GT Air and earplugs make the experience completely satisfactory. I'm 5'11" and have a long torso.

This works on my '12, has probably zero relationship to the new model.
  12. DesmoDucDave

DesmoDucDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the clean air you get by using the carbon shorty is likely the best as far as noise and buffeting are concerned. My problem here in Wisconsin is all of the kamikaze bugs that aim for my face shield... having a windscreen helps to deflect them over/around my helmet.
  13. OneTraveller

OneTraveller Social Reject

Oddometer:
  14. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    I use the Palmer Products screen adapter kit. You can use this with the stock or any after market screen. It solves the problem in the same way as the others -- it gets the screen off the fairing so air can flow behind it, plus it is adjustable in rake. I run in in the lowest position, and in the most "vertical" position of the 3 options. Works for me.

I use it for touring. For summer or short trips I run a ghetto pikes peak variant (painted and dremel cut stock screen)
  15. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    are there spacers available for the '14?

Edit, I just looked at that palmer products screen adapter kit....a little gawdy, imo, especially with my touring screen but it seems like it would get the job done.

Dave, how tall are you if i may ask? Are you happy with it?

I think Id still prefer a little lower profile spacer kit to try first, but that device looks functional, if nothing else....
  16. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    The palmer products bracket isn't the slickest execution, its a bit industrial looking. Simple spacers would look better. The benefit is that with the bracket you can adjust the rake - there are 3 positions for rake adjustment, as well as adjust the height like normal.

I'm 5'11 - I've found that the screen in the lowest setting and steepest rake works best. Its not Goldwing quiet, but good enough that I stopped playing around with screens.
  17. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    cool, thanks for the info.

So, spacers for a 13-14?
  18. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have given up and bought a shorty screen, how does it compare to a naked bike?
  19. Doug Pirahna

Doug Pirahna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Puig shorty on my '13. It makes it comparable, if not a little better, than a naked bike as far as clean air IMO. I'll add though that I wouldn't take any trips with it on. The air is clean, there's just too much of it for a speed of 65mph + for any distance. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. A shorty screen gives the bike a complete different feeling to ride, more like a naked or big motard. I really like the shorty screen for summer and local riding.
  20. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also run the PP carbon screen (on my '14 PP) and recently had it for a x-country trip. Unfortunately I'm only 5'11" so I still get a little buffeting from it, which goes away when I stand on the pegs.

Buzz_Watkins - the PP carbon / CalSci shorty (had one on my '11 multi) act very much like a naked bike riding experience - the wind you get is mostly clean, so less helmet buffeting. If you're going to do very long periods (like more than an hour or two) of freeway cruising regularly, you will probably want a larger windscreen. If you do a little freeway now and again to get to the twisties, it's great.