Multistrada 1200 - Has anyone solved the wind issue?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by FishrCutB8, Jul 2, 2015.

1. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to cut in a hole on stock screen similar to what Calsci has?
  2. manimal_gts

manimal_gts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In for later. I noticed quite a bit of buffeting on my stock '14 GTS windscreen, but for aesthetics I cut it similar to the PP version and plasti-dipped it black. I'm curious for solutions on a full screen
  3. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:

Did anyone ever reply to you about spacers for 13-14? Can't believe there is not a solution yet.
  4. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2014 for all of a month now, it's a GT and came with the touring screen, which was nice in the rain riding down from Seattle, but too much of a barn door for me commuting in the summer, and if I'm honest a bit turbulent at highway speeds . I installed a Puig racing screen and it is great, usually I run it in the lower position, on cool mornings I raise it up. Plenty of clean air and reasonably quiet. Terrific design. Looks brilliant in dark smoke.

I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, dual sport helmet, ear plugs.
  5. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for the MRA X-Creen, get the clamp-on so you can reuse it on other bikes. I run the Multi GT screen but a tall MRA or Puig screen should work well too.
  6. Chabba

Chabba n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I ride a Multi 1200 ST (2011) and I am happily sharing my experience with the windscreens for that modell, as I have also been playing around with the mentioned issues... Again to clarify: 2011 - three screws..
    Needless to say, the stock screen had too much buffeting for me in any position and even worse if We were two pax on the bike.
    I replaced it with the VStream mid - that is a big screen and it simply worked fantastically as a windscreen, no buffeting, no noise, no dead insects on the visor.. changing the heigth actually made a difference depending on the various helmets, 2 people on bike, Top Case ..etc etc...its a heavy , tall screen... I could feel the difference doing some fast curves. I did a over 10.000 km Tour through Europe with that screen and I was happy... Until ( and here comes the big BUT ) until I hit stormy / windy weather. Its just a big screen and with strong winds it worked like a sail on the handlebars ! ... I had a few not so nice experiences high up in the mountains on tiny roads... So it had to go.
    I have now mounted the Aztec spacers with a MRA Vario. Much better than the stock, no buffeting, and a lot smaller than the Vstream, so a lot less wind- sensitivity in stormy weather. But of course, smaller screen...less wind protection...I actually feel quite some wind on my chest and helmet, insects on the visor, but in a steady flow ! For me that is a good combo... Also lighter, less weight high up, for sporty riding.. I guess I' ll stick to that screen adapter combo.
  7. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    Old thread but I wanted to share something that has worked well for me on my 13 Multi GT in case anyone is still looking to seek some silence in air movement.

I picked up a Cal Sci medium screen and it was a big help over the stock GT screen. I used it for thousands of miles and I was happy with it. Then I found the deal sealer for me. I removed the (admittedly great) stock mirrors and replaced them with bar end mirrors (good, but not a great view). That cleared the roar and buffeting that remained after the OEM screen was removed. Now the "roar" that I had hitting me under my helmet is all but gone and the buffeting is a non issue for day-long interstate rides. You loose some rear view without the stock mirrors, however, silence can be golden. The Cal Sci is a good bit better than the OEM touring screen both with and without the OEM mirrors.
    oalvarez likes this.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Which bar ends did you go with, I have CRG arrows on my SDR and they are actually better than stock, a LOT less vibration and a better field of view.
  9. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    I also went with CRG mirrors. I'd agree they have virtually no vibrations and offer a great view, I just thought the oem mirrors were placed so they were ultra easy to see. Never going back though! I think a lot of the roar i heard was coming of the OEM mirrors.
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I haven't even tried my touring screen, I likely won't the PP shorty is all the screen I require.....but I also tour on nakeds, so I am a bit of a freak.
    Generaljohn13 likes this.
  11. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    I am also a fan of touring on nakeds. Clean air is (even a full blast at highway speeds) is SO MUCH BETTER than the roar and buffeting caused by so many "touring" screens. Even with ear plugs. I have a shorty for my multi also, but I did not use it much because I found the bike still had that "roar" to it. I haven't tried it with the bar end mirrors yet but I bet I'll find it is nice and quiet with calm clean air hitting my helmet. I'll prob try that out shortly, come to think of it.
    Max Kool likes this.
  12. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Got me thinking to pull the mirrors and try it.
  13. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    30 seconds and one hex bolt each. About the same to put em back on. If you try it let me know what you think with the PP screen.
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it may be this weekend.
  15. burnt knobbies

burnt knobbies Donnie Danger

Oddometer:
    Bar mounted hiss flaps are the answer for me[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dashredder likes this.
  16. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    Burnt knobbies, that looks really cool. Did you create that solution yourself or are those available for purchase somewhere?
  17. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
  18. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:

I wanted to buy these for my 13 but they didn't make a set. Still not noted on the web for the 13-14. I'll email again. Worth a try if they have something.
  19. burnt knobbies

burnt knobbies Donnie Danger

Oddometer:
    I was originally trying to mount something to the dash, but if you turn the handlebars all the way to lock there is no room left. I had some spare ram ball mount stuff in the garage and some plexiglass from Home Depot so I cut out two squares and tested them on a ride. Now I'm just waiting for matching ram ball stuff to get here so it's the same on both sides. Also I need to figure out how to polish the edges to clean it up. I'm using a ram ball cup holder and throwing the cup holder away. I also used a shorter screw through the plexiglass. The wind shield is a Cee Bailey +3 and I made "Z" brackets out of aluminum to tilt the top 1-1/2" forward. I took a good ride yesterday and I'm very happy. I'm using a Scorpion AT 950 modular helmet. I rode with the windshield up one notch so I can see over the top and visor up with the built in sunglasses shade down also with the whole face part up to drink some water on the way.
  20. smacdab949

smacdab949 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 5'9" and the stock screen is too loud at highway speed. I tried a Puig short and it was better, but still noisy. It was also quite windy today...I also ordered a laminar lip for the stock screen and will try that next.
    I know lots of folks try and move the windshield forward (more vertical), but I am going to hack up some spacers to make the shield be more of an angle in the hopes that smooth air flows across...
    I haven't tried the "hiss flaps" from the above poster, nor have I tried a big shield.
    Since we have the nice comfortable seating position, I am not expecting silence..but trying to get the best possible...