1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Multistrada 950 Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by ShutterRev, Mar 27, 2021.

1. ShutterRev

ShutterRev Former pavement princess turned wannabe ADV rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @picknpluck I am super glad to see another ms950 off-road, all the other Multi's I've seen locally here are set up and used for street only
    picknpluck likes this.
  2. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about a Multistrada ON the off-road? :jack
    [​IMG]
    Strick, Quindio and ShutterRev like this.
  3. ShutterRev

Oddometer:
    @picknpluck too bad you are way up in Bay Area, otherwise we could spend a day hunting down some GS's and Orange bikes on the ADV trails with the fancy pasta rockets :)
    picknpluck likes this.
  4. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    I was just out in the Mendocino N.F. this weekend with a bunch of folks...my buddy on his GSA had a tough time keeping up :D
    ShutterRev likes this.
  5. Strick

Strick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put a few hundred more miles on the MTS and this really is a great bike!

I added the Ducati Throttle Spacer kit. https://ducatispacers.com They are two plastic spacers that you put on nubs in the throttle housing. You take apart the throttle housing which is four screws and the housing comes apart easily. The kit comes with a tri tip screw bit to get at the two tri tip screws Ducati uses along with two phillips screws. It removes the "slop in the throttle" or the couple MM of movement in the throttle before it takes. It took about 10 minutes to install and I really like it. It is a bit pricey for what you get at $36.99 including shipping but for me it makes the DUC that much better.

And here's a photo. Of the bike not the throttle spacer :lol3 :

[​IMG]Out for a ride by R. Strickland, on Flickr
    Quindio and ShutterRev like this.
  6. vfrmike

vfrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up today, this one is a far cry from my gen 1 MTS. Hope we become best buds. IMG_4234.JPG
    twflybum, equ, TheWheelADV and 3 others like this.
  7. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Watching with interest.
    Any feed back from some decent off road rides, loose gravel, a bit of sand if anyone is ever game to go that far, I'll watch along.

Great size bike, and from where l live here in Western Australia, this would be very suitable for 90% of my riding.
  8. Strick

Strick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from my first road trip on the MTS. Put about 900 miles on riding to the AMA Motorcycle Museum and then spent two days riding around Chillicothe, Ohio. The bike handled like a dream and corners on rails. I averaged 50 mpg with panniers and a top case. The speedo was about 5 mph off compared to google maps on android auto. If the bike said I was going 60, the gps indicated 55. My old Honda was spot on with the speedo. Something to get used to.

I did a little gravel riding and forgot about Enduro mode :doh so the traction control was a bit aggressive in Touring. That was a short jaunt less than a mile. The second time we hit gravel I used Enduro mode and it was fun kicking out the rear a little and getting a feel for the bike. I look forward to more dirt riding.

Still loving this bike!!:raabia
    Quindio and Tenerrod like this.
  9. Quindio

Quindio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210514_210755220.jpg
    ShutterRev, Strick and Tenerrod like this.
  10. pilotspike

pilotspike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is stinking beautiful. That gray has really growing on me.
    Quindio likes this.
  11. Quindio

Quindio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    How accessible is the air filter on the new 950s?
    Just learnt about the lack of service manuals for the owners, might be a deal breaker for me.
    I've always got the wheels off changing tyres, checking bearings and stuff. We have this red dust that when it gets wet needs a very deep clean to get rid of. I'm talking all plastics off, stripped bare and every surface needs to be wiped, every screw, nut and bolt head wiped clean, this stuff does not come off easily.

With no torque settings, especially for the more mechanical stuff, what's a man to do, Google Fu?
  13. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not very. You have to remove the side fairings and the gas tank. Here are a few videos that show what's involved. The first one shows taking everything off to get to the airbox. The bike is the 1200 DVT but it is very similar when it comes to the fairings and tank. The second shows reassembly. To round things out, the third shows the 1200 Enduro.

ShutterRev, Strick and Tenerrod like this.
  14. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks heaps for that. I completely forgot about YouTube videos. Doh!
    Quite a process but in reality it does get quicker with time. Not too dissimilar to my old 800 Tiger.
    Thanks again.
  15. ancho

ancho n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I just picked up a Multistrada 950 S yesterday, found a decent deal on a 2020 leftover that's been sitting in the showroom a while. I love this thing, it's kind of the perfect bike for me.

Anyone here replace the mirrors? I'm 6'2" and have found that the stock mirrors don't have quite enough in the way of adjustment. Was thinking maybe I could try bar-ends? Not sure though as I don't see a lot of info online about mirror replacement for this bike.

Anyway, super stoked to put some miles on the Multi this summer!
    Strick, Quindio and vfrmike like this.
  16. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MariusD, Strick and ancho like this.
  17. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    I put Doubletake Mirrors on mine. I rotated my bars forward and rotated the levers down a little, rendering my stock mirrors useless. These are great!
    [​IMG]
  18. cornfield destroyer

cornfield destroyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up a new/leftover 2017 MS950 yesterday. Replaces an FJ-09. First thing I noticed is how much more "solid" the MS is compared to the FJ, build quality is much higher (which is what you would expect based on the cost difference.) Daily rider is a 1200 GSA, so it's nice to have a lighter more nimble bike in the shed for fun rides. Rode a bevel drive Ducati 900SS for 30 years, it's great to see that the DNA has not changed... 950 MS 1S.jpg 950 MS 2S.jpg
    Tenerrod, dsrydr, lvscrvs and 3 others like this.
  19. ShutterRev

Oddometer:
    I got the paperback manual for my 2018, and a pdf version found online. Many of the
    Fantastic, beautiful bike! I have the exact same color, wheels etc 2018 950 :clap
  20. pilotspike

pilotspike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked mine up Tuesday afternoon. Its a '20 model, 950s. First bike in 9 years, 2nd Ducati. After only 75 Miles I know it was the right choice.

DucatiChurch2.jpg

DucatiChurch1.jpg
    Tenerrod, MariusD, Strick and 4 others like this.