Multistrada Successor/Hooligan Tourer?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by FishrCutB8, Sep 17, 2016.

1. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    I am currently on a '12 Ducati Multistrada. It is a fantastic bike in all respects save 1: protection. Threads abound here and elsewhere on solutions for the wind noise and buffeting, but I think it might be the way the bike is built and the way I am built (6' with a longer torso). I am not in total despair (yet) but...

So, I have been looking at something that will offer better protection, especially as I ride farther and farther out (150 mile days are the norm, and 300+ mile days are common). I did a 2000+ mile trip this summer and the buffeting and noise were pretty awful. Additionally, I commute on road trips for work with 2-4 hour round trip excursions.

As I said, I REALLY LOVE the DUC. Specifically:
    1. Upright riding position is all day comfortable (except for the wind).
    2. That engine. Oh. My. Laws!!! Somewhere around 6000 RPM, it feels like it has been smacked in the ass by the Hammer of the Gods.
    3. Lighter weight means I can flick it around. I am not a great rider, but after 5 years, I am a competent rider. I love that this bike goes right where I point, and does exactly what I ask it to do.
    4. She's dead sexay!
    5. Twisties. Slab. Country roads. Even a little offroad. This bike does it all.

I am wondering what I should be considering? Is there a similar I'll-tempered hooligan tourer with all day protection out there? Has anyone here graduated from the Multi, and what were your results? Thoughts?
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Give the MRA VarioTouring screen an shot. A friend of mine, a tall feller, has one and loves it. Gives him a nice, protected ride on his '11 MTS.
  3. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    It's what I am using now.
  4. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Really? He's taller than you and with the windscreen adjusted up and the spoiler pointed correctly, he reports it to be rather quite. I'm surprised to hear that it's not quiet for you.
  5. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    It's interesting - I stand on the pegs and it's so much better!
  6. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do 500 mile days on my naked bike with no protection. You can do it on a multi!
  7. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    How does he pointing the spoiler? Is he using Aztecs? Wings? Maybe a pic would be helpful?!?!?
  8. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    It sounds like the problem is your helmet, has it got peak (get rid of it), and is it a snug fit?
  9. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    I have an RF1200 by Shoei, one of the quietest out there. I have had three different helmets...
  10. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a test ride on a new GS. You'll be amazed at how fast you will still go on it despite the higher levels of comfort and practicality it has. It's a much better daily rider than the duc. You won't notice the hp difference below triple digit speeds.
  11. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    I always thought the GS was kind of a "big boned" bike? Was I mistaken?
  12. FairweatherJohn

FairweatherJohn FairweatherJohn

Oddometer:
    If you are going to demo a GS, then be fair and test a new DVT Multistrada. You well find the GS is an OK bike, but it may not make you smile like a Multi. You will also find wind management on the new MTS's much better than the older models. (And everything else is more refined)

And riding about towns on a DVT is much better than on my the old MTS. If the breeze still bothers you, there are several windscreens that will make things quiet - I have a medium Cal Sci for winter and it creates a huge, quiet pocket that works great and lets me open my modular helmet up to about 70 mph. (I am a long waist, 6 ft tall)

In the end, get the bike you like!
    FishrCutB8 likes this.
  13. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sort of. You might be thinking of the GSA, which is heavier, taller and fatter than the GS (like the Enduro). With similar levels of crash protection, the LC GS is roughly 20 lbs heavier than the Multi, with a similar seat height and handlebar width but pegs slightly more forward. The weight is more noticeable pushing it around the garage than when riding it, due to the low-placed cylinders. They're close enough that you should sit on one and see, then test ride it if you're ok with the slight height/weight difference. Definitely ride as many models as you can before deciding.
  14. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    No. It's a great bike. But like you said, she ain't svelte. I swapped with a buddy one afternoon and you feel the weight.
  15. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find that every windscreen offers low frequency buffeting. In addition, the dirty air behind vehicles really adds to the buffeting. The best air is found standing, which proves that a very low screen, which keeps the airflow below your neck, allows you to ride in the least buffeted airflow.

As for noise protection, every helmet and every windscreen offers 100 db+ sound levels, as shown in study after study, when speeds are approaching 60 mph. The only way to reduce the deafening sound levels is with quality ear protection. My preference is for the medical grade silicone of Sensaphonics. As tested inside my own ears, in an audiologist sound booth, is that I get 40 db of protection.

For my 300 to 400+ mile daily rides, having a tiny windscreen on my Ducati and the Sensaphonics ear monitors allows for enjoyable rides without the fatigue buffeting and jet engine loud environments offer.

[​IMG]

Comfortable under any helmet.

[​IMG]

To endeavor to create a quiet bubble is an approach that I have never had good results with. Greatly reducing the influence of the air noise is the most efficient manner of preserving hearing, and reducing sound fatigue.

A Multistrada just isn't a R1200RT, or Goldwing. They aren't that quiet, or buffeting free either.
  16. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I ride with my faceshield partway open and the air seems to hit the shield after it passes the windscreen and goes over the helmet. Quieter that way but comfort depends on weather. I too have noticed how quiet it is when standing. There are shorter screens to get that may be an option, and the PP carbon one gets good reviews from many folks that ride with them, preferring them to the stock height screen. I use earplugs when riding very far, i.e. +10 miles. I have an RF1200 like you do and LS2 FF396 with shield part open.