1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Multivaro verses wolfman explorer

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hacksaw, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with both of these bags on a GS1100/1150? Which one do you prefer and why? A friend let me borrow his aerostich tank panniers and I love them. I will get some, and probably a multivaro tank bag or a wolfman explorer tank bag with the wolfman tank panniers. Just trying to make an informed decision. Thanks...:1drink
  2. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    Can't tell you about the 1100/1150, but I just put a Wolfman Denali (I think that's the new version of the Explorer) on my F650GS.
    It fits perfect, sofar I love it. It's more roomy than I expected, you can take the small side pockets (and the map thing of course) off and it doesn't budge even at freeway speeds. The zippers have nice big tabs on them. I dunno about how well it'll keep stuff dry yet...I spoze I oughta scotch guard the living daylights out of it just in case. When I crank the handlebars all the way to the side to lock the steering, the bag touches but no big deal.
    It does have a couple inches telescoping expansion, but even with it up all the way it doesn't interfere with my riding position (I wasn't sure if it was too tall for me-I'm 5'7").
    Hope this helps-if not just ignore me *grin
  3. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I've had both. I prefer the MVario on grounds that it is a) sturdier, b) narrower (switchgear does not hit bag at full steering lock), c) map pocket is more functional and seems to last longer before becoming scratched up, and d) more secure on the bike. Beefs on the MV are: a) cost, b) the expansion scheme is kind of funky, c) the rain cover is difficult to use.

A reasonable middle ground between those two is the Marsee.

mully
  4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    :1drink
  5. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the explorer and am going to switch as soon i can come up with some extra cash..The wolfman can hold a lot of things even without the side bags..But once it broken in, it tends to move around a lot when loaded up..I was even going to stiffin up the sidewalls with some thicker plastic..

I did not like the way it latch onto the bike in the front, so i used some straps from a old RKA tank bag and change it so that it was held down with four straps instead of just three..Also, the map pocket is a little small...Don't know why they made a large bag with a small map pouch..

For the price, it not really a bad bag and i will keep using it untill later, but there are better bags out there; It's just that they cost so much..Oh yea, the wolfman will honk the horn when loaded..

Good luck on whatever you get..

Joc
  6. hchuck

hchuck GS Pilot

Oddometer:
    I've had the following tank bags:

Nelson-Riggs
    Wolfman Explorer
    No-name magnetic
    Touratech 15L
    Multivario
    Marsee 15L

I like the Marsee 15L. It expands to 25 liters, is made of excellent materials, the map pocket is not the biggest but the clear plastic is very high quality. It fits well and looks good on a GS.

It has very nice reflective piping around the mid-section and offers two types of attachment: magnetic and quick-release straps.