Mums Last Gift!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Peter640, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Hello again! I'm back after 18 months in isolation in the penal colony of Australia!

Julie and I are back on the road again for another instalment, starting soon courtesy of Mum. Sadly my wonderful old Mum passed way at the end of last year. She was nearly 95 and had a wonderful, long and independent life until her end of days! Old age finally caught up with her and Covid conspired to stop me getting to see her at the end of the Moroccan adventure last March or visiting the UK before now.

Here she is posing with the bike and threatening to "throw a leg over and show me how its done!"

Her final gift is giving me a valid reason to travel from Australia (as we still have to get permission to travel overseas!!). Hence the title of this RR! The bike and I will end up in the UK and we can say our farewells to Mum.

Mum BMW.jpg

The report is the eighth write up of a slow burn round the world trip that so far has led to the following reports. In many ways these blogs become my journal and diary.

2015 - Burning Man and Beyond - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/burning-man-and-beyond-three-months-in-the-us.1081126/

2016 - Iceberg Dead ahead! – http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/iceberg-dead-ahead.1144880/

2017 - OK I read the rules, so I am going to NZ (on and off) for a year! - http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...im-going-to-nz-on-and-off-for-a-year.1198148/

2018 - Nunca haremos un giro a la izquierda! (Mexico to the Translab ....) - https://advrider.com/f/threads/nunca-haremos-un-giro-a-la-izquierda-mexico-to-the-translab.1293606/

2019 – I come From a Land DownUnder! https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-come-from-a-land-down-under.1379406/which happened earlier this year after I saw the HU Hubb meeting in Perth was coming up so I called my old (literally!) riding buddy John C up (he lives in NZ) and suggested he buy a bike over here and come and join me! It ended up being somewhat more epic than first planned!

2019 The Big Leap (Canadian Arctic Circle to Norwegian Arctic Circle) - https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-big-leap-circle-to-circle.1390223/ which saw the bike travel from Tuktoyuktuk to England via Iceland, Faroes, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany and the Netherlands.

2020 Alhumdilallah, Morocco Bound - https://advrider.com/f/threads/alhamdulillah-morocco-bound.1428753/ whilst I got to Morocco, it was this trip that was interrupted by this bloody pandemic, causing me to dash for home in Oz and miss my planned visit with Mum.

So this trip is more personal and its circumstances sad. I had to abandon the bike in Portugal and run back to Australia in March last year after Covid wreaked it's havoc on so many people and families. It derailed many of our plans for travel and took away many freedoms we took for granted.

Mum's last gift gets me back out on the road again and away from Australia whilst it sorts its shit out and develops a better response to Covid than locking everyone away!

My ride is a 2014 BMW 1200 which has sat unused for a year and a half. A major service is called for when we meet up in two weeks time!

Vaxxed up and ready to ride!

I'll keep you posted!
  2. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about your mum Peter! Safe travels and soak it all in!

A.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    There were groups rides all over the place this past Sunday in perfect weather but... it was my mom’s 85th birthday so that was the order of the day. She likes Tony Roma’s ribs so that was the destination. ❤️
  4. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Id do anything to buy my old gal a beer in the local pub. We had our last three meeting all interrupted by this pandemic and now she is gone.

Stay safe and well.
    steved57 and RedDogAlberta like this.
  5. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I hope to passing back thru your way in a year or two. Missing the Maritimes and the good folk that live there.

Peter
    steved57 and AngusMcL like this.
  6. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your Mother was adorable!
    I love that picture.
    If you don't mind, tell us a little about her and her life. She certainly looks to be a lovely person.

Here's hoping that you get everything that you want/need out of this trip. :thumb
    And many thanks for taking us along.
    Rob
    dano619 and Peter640 like this.
  7. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Rob

Thanks for asking. So here goes and ... I miss Mum. I loved her and she was always there for me and my family. I feel deeply unprepared for her absence. The phone calls we shared, often late at night or early in the morning as I drove to or from work or an airport. The stories she told about her life. But what I loved most, was her unwavering love, care and curiosity for all her Grandchildren. I know they all cherish the advice and off-hand pearls of wisdom she doled out! I wish she could have been in all of our lives forever. But that is not how it works! I hope she is now at piece and I take comfort she is resting with Dad and her beloved sisters and parents. She leaves a big hole filled with love and happy memories.

Her best bit of advice to our son was ..."Girls ... they love you for your body today and your money tomorrow!".

And to our daughters ... "nothing below the waist before marriage!"

To Julie (before we were married, and were sleeping in
    seperate rooms at mum and Dads place .... "we're both heavy sleepers, we have no idea what happens in the dark of the night"!! Mum was born the youngest of 4 sisters in Easington, County Durham Jan 13 1926, Peggy (as she was known) passed 6 weeks short of her 95th birthday. During WW2 Mum left the North East and went to work for the government in the lake district and then moved with her job to Sheffield, Yorkshire. She was blown down the street by a german bomb and buzzed by flying boats as she rowed on the lakes in the North West of England. My Mum and Dad loved the lake district and that love has transcended to our whole family.

During the war years, she worked in Sheffield. Mum met my father Ted there. He was from Wolverhampton but drafted to Sheffield as a Beven Boy to work down the mine. Mum and Dad were married in Easington parish church in December 1949, their reception was held in Easington Village Hall made famous in the film Billie Elliott. Dad proposed by rowing mum out to an island in one of the lakes and refusing to take her back to shore before she said yes! They married on Dec 20 so Dad and she could enjoy the longest night of the year as the first night of their honeymoon!

I grew up in the Cotswolds (after Dad listened to Enoch Powell famous "Rivers of Blood" speech and moved us to the country!!). My brother and I had a great childhood with all the love we needed.

Peggy loved Opera, playing bridge and was famous for always enjoying a party! She loved to visit Australia, the latest trip being made only 9 years ago when she was 86 years old! Her happiest times were when surrounded by family and sharing stories or doling our life advice, usually inappropriately!

She was never 100% happy about my love of motorbikes but understood and shared the wanderlust for travel.

Quite a gal!

Thanks for asking me write this!

I'll get back to bike shortly!

DSC07168.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG IMG_7870 (1).jpg

Hug those you love!

Peter
    BLucare, Chip Seal, PDarnall and 34 others like this.
  8. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely, Peter.....in for your ongoing travels
    Peter640 likes this.
  9. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
    Hello Peter, I’m sorry to read about you mum, she looks and sounds a lovely character. My mum wasn’t ‘quite so great’ but my nan was and she wandered off to the great unknown about twenty years ago aged 94. Still miss her but I figure I was lucky to have her around for that long. 93/94 years gives plenty of time to make a lot of good memories for people and I have a feeling you have an endless supply of those from your mum so in that way some people are never really completely gone are they.

I saw this thread as I was looking to see if you were alright and posting anything. I was right outside Faro MC yesterday and remembered your exploits crossing borders around here closely chased by an unfriendly virus. Interesting ride that one for sure. Good to see you are about to return at last, I bet that Beemer will be pleased to see you!
    Peter640 likes this.
  10. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard! Not quite sure where this ride is going, but it is going!

Booked an AirBnB in Lisboa two nights ago it felt weird and good at the same time!!
  11. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:

May be we’ll share that beer. There in 2 weeks!
  12. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In :lurk
    Peter640 likes this.
  13. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!

All a bit frantic here getting ready to leave the house, 5 chickens, a cat and the fish behind for 6 1/2 months!

Plus finishing off a few bike projects that are literally lying around the house!

I have a 1961 BSA C15T that arrived in a sad state and as happens to be as old as me she is getting a full rebuild:

As she came ..
    LHS View.jpg

Taking shape ...
    IMG_9425.jpeg

My pal did an excellent job on the paintwork ...
    IMG_9357 2.jpeg

I still cant quite believe I was able to finish off this job at the dining table! Covid pass?
    IMG_9425.jpeg

She is going to be a very pretty little bike.
    IMG_9337.jpeg

Then there is a TR25 on the bench I want to close the motor before I leave in 12 days time! The gear box went in today! Happy about that!

IMG_9238.jpg

65241707074__55D04DBD-516B-420F-8123-7B926B3C7204.jpeg IMG_9501.jpeg

And a B44 Special made up from left over parts. I just finished the frame and it will now keep till I'm back.

Our long lock downs have has some good as I have had a LOT of time to play bikes over the last year and a half!
    IMG_9448.jpeg

Another great paint job by my pal will set this bike off nicely. Not at all original but this is going to be a Special made up of left overs. The motor will keep till I'm back. As you can tell I do like my BSA unit singles, even if one of the masquerades as a Triumph!

IMG_9367.jpeg
  14. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Its been a busy day here, the last bike project is getting there ... I do need to get this finished, so I can pack!

IMG_0122.jpeg IMG_9521.jpg

Off tomorrow for my pre tip medicals as i'm away for 6.5 months. Just had to spend a kings ransom for some travel insurance for this period.

The BMW is booked in for a big service for when I get to Portugal so she should be ready to rock and roll after sitting for 18 months. Luckily my friend there has put in fresh fuel and started her regularly. She still sounds sweet as!

Peter
  15. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Peter,
    I can hear the engine sounds of that BSA already, a symphony with tappets and exhaust providing the percussion line.

My first moto was a '53 125cc Bantam, 2-stroke.

Following your RR.
    Peter640 likes this.
  16. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!

My son's first bike was this 1952 we made up from an old box of parts and he leart to ride on it and only took about 4 years to be so much faster on the dirt than me!

After.jpg

You've made me all nostalgic now so I went hunting for some pics of the boy wonder (Seth) and I riding!

Love this shot of him learning, hist first trip into he bush with mates riding, he is a natural!

IMG_1112.JPG

Until he fell off!

IMG_1100.JPG

We both started riding dirt on old bikes, this yellow B50 was the best B50 I owned, sold it to a mate in England so I know where it is still! God we look like Hill Billies!

IMG_1119.JPG

Yellow B50.JPG

Seth rapidly got better and out grew the BSA (not hard to do!)

seth3.jpg

I built this last a 1969 BSA Bushman and a younger relative of your machine ...

IMG_6802.JPG

I sold it as I was like a bear on a bicycle!

Not too much new here as a day doing doctors and getting ready to travel. I'll be like a mobile pharmacy! Had a cortisone shot in my shoulder to try and fix some soreness caused by too many falling off moments on my RH side and too many hours holding on to the bars (both motorcycle and where they serve beer!)

Proof of my ability to fall off lies below! I got called Mud Man for a long time after this particular moment! i graduated from Mud Pools to Accident and Emergency not long after this! I don't think I was cut out for motocross! But we had fun and I got better at riding the kind of dirt I like.

Note the right shoulder took the hit! God it was cold, mid winter and about 5 degrees C! That is cold for here!

IMG_5713.jpg

Onwards and upwards!

Peter
  17. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your travels!! Thanks for sharing stories of your Mum and Family!! My neighbors are 90 and 91.....Irish and Italian...some of the best times are sitting around the table listening to their stories from back in the day!! Good stuff.
  18. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks Danos welcome back aboard. Into detailed packing today as fly next week.

Peter
  19. Erecto

Erecto What a dick!

Oddometer:
    I'm a Geordie. Rode through Easington on the way to my sisters today...thought of your mum. Put a smile on my face it did.
    Peter640 likes this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a wonderful trip Peter. I will be looking in on a regular basis. Enjoyed the pics and memories of your Mum. Lost my Dad before this covid crap so he didn't have to deal with any of it. He made it to just shy of 94 so a long and productive life well lived.
    Peter640 and dano619 like this.