Murmansk, Russia

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by jesperd, Jan 12, 2019.

1. jesperd

jesperd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone from the Murmansk area? We'd love to meet people, learn and get inspired. If you're around Murmansk on August 22, or along the route below, and would like to meet, have a beer, let me know.

My apologies if this isn't the right forum, I am not trying to turn it into AdvTinder. But for me, meeting people is such a big part of riding, so I had to ask.

In late August, a couple of friends and I are riding to Murmansk, Russia, as part of a 3 week trip.

We are planning on entering Russia from Finland at the Vartius border crossing. Find a hotel/B&B/airbnb at Kosomuksha. Then continuing north on what I think is hard packed gravel towards Kalevala. Continuing north on the A137, to eventually meet up with the M18. Stay the night at Kandalaksha before hitting Murmansk on August 22-ish. Departing from Murmansk a couple of days later towards the border to Norway at Storskog/Kirkenes via the deep borehole, and Nikel.

I can see that the Google car has been on the roads for the most part - even the gravel roads, so I'm guessing they aren't too deserted. We're riding GS, so we are not planning on any waist high mud.

None of us speak Russian. My previous trips to Balkan, and Ukraine has taught me some understanding of Cyrillic, but that's pretty much it.

Take care!
  2. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. jesperd

jesperd Adventurer

Oddometer: