Murphy’s Law Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jackalsour, Jul 14, 2019.

1. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    So yesterday I threw out an old used tube figuring I’d get a new spare one shortly down the road

The next day my new heavy duty tube catches a nail on the maclaren river trail. No prob I’ll just pull that out and patch it up. Well the wretched nail somehow made 2 large gashes that barely fit under my last 2 large patches. It seemed to hold air just long enough to get the wheel back on the bike. Both times!

I carried that tube from the atlantic to the pacific and arctic oceans just to keep Murphy’s law at bay!

67E698D8-2C4B-4679-A126-BDC5DC292C14.jpeg A15A8ACD-BB88-4404-B26B-BA3176F1BC1D.jpeg CD4DC4C9-F781-41ED-92AF-E55DA4E6F959.jpeg B4E479DA-7BF0-405B-91CC-7F57C0F2D60F.jpeg E2AD6AD9-A464-4AE9-A361-750B9FABA3DD.jpeg
  2. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Looks like Delta Motorsports is closed until Tues. If anyone happens to have a rear tube near Paxson I would pay good money for it

442E4F21-3CEA-4621-A91C-10E8DE0F4332.jpeg
  3. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Delta Motorsports doesn’t stock big bike tubes so the closest would have to come from Anchorage or Fairbanks. Lyft and Uber don't deliver that far but NAPA can overnight deliver for $25. They had to wait for all the motorsports stores to open on Tues so it would arrive Weds morning - 3 days later and probab 3.5 or 4 by the time I get the tube and bike together. Ordered 2 tubes.

Now I could hitchhike down to Glennallen and back with the tube, or take advantage of my $10 roadside assistance. Might as well test the roadside assistance. The call center is clearly not from Alaska and has an awful time figuring out how to dispatch a tow to a location with no physical address searchable on google maps. I offered lat-long. Gibberish. I say I can just call the shop who will surely understand where I am anyways. After a lot of back and forth about whether I'm covered at all, covered for up to 15 miles tow, or to the nearest station, middle management finally approves the expensive tow.

Like any experienced soldier would I give the service station the courtesy call that I'm about to activate the mighty powers of roadside assistance - to avoid the flurry of confused directions they were about to receive from central command. I ask if they could be so kind to simply bring my 2 tubes from across the street. No. I hear the mechanic saying to also tell me it will cost $$$ because "it's a complicated BMW" - great more tourist gouging. I ask to speak to the mechanic. No. I say I can change it in the parking lot. They claim I shall not. Huge truck arrives in due time and I take the ride of shame to Glennallen

First thing the next morning I pick up the 2 tubes from NAPA and walk them across the lot to Glennallen Fuel Service. Their bays are full so I ask if I can push the bike out of their way to remove the rear wheel. I give them the rear wheel and a tube figuring it will save some time and at least be properly balanced. They don't balance and they borrow my pressure gauge because theirs won't fit. He mentions the valve stem is short and I figure it's just how the tube is, antsy to get out of here. He kindly offers some bearing grease and I reinstall the wheel. $25 and I'm back on the road

About halfway to Tok the bike starts to wobble at about 65mph in a turn. For a moment I thought the rear slipped out on some oil. I get stopped on the shoulder and see the rear is blown flat again. I have no cell signal. A posse of shiny new 1200GS pull over hesitantly murmuring they've never changed a tire before. No prob you can get a free demo right here. I notice the valve stem is lose. I get the wheel off and the tube out and find 1 of 2 nuts was left inside the rim - ah yes the short valve stem the mechanic struggled with.. Spare tube in and spoon the tire back on in record time with an attentive audience

Can't get the new tube to inflate. On further inspection - can't get any air into the tube at all. My trusty 8 year old compressor sounds functional but doesn't appear to connect properly with the valve stem. Shiny 1200GS posse now come to the rescue with an equally shiny new Stop&Go compressor still in original packaging. Tire gets inflated and I'm back on the road - once again sans spare tube. At Tok I call the Service Center just to let them know what happened. I don't ask for a credit refund and they ask if I want to speak to the mechanic now. No thanks.

E280993C-0237-4D9C-962A-AA7D234142E5.jpeg
    9B366BF4-B042-48CE-B5DD-2D3D091EA1FF.jpeg
    6B106A25-561E-41FA-969D-53C64C0BA101.jpeg
    060889E3-AE48-4935-A440-D92E740DB4EC.jpeg
    16B742DD-0644-46EA-9A0C-4878D4731FF0.jpeg
  4. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the tube saga. Hope the rest of your journey is trouble free. Wish I could have helped but we were out traveling too. I don't need much excuse for a quick ride.
    jackalsour likes this.
  5. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Thanks - not much anyone could do when all the motorsports shops are closed on Sunday/Monday. I actually met a rider who'd just shipped his bike up with spare tubes and tires. He asked me about rattle snakes and spiders. I gave him bear spray. He couldn't risk giving me a tube.

The bright side was good camping for a few days and the smoke cleared up on TOW by the time I got to it.
    Beezer likes this.