Music- Exceptions to Exceptions

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Undocumented, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Undocumented

Undocumented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year during my Seattle to home ride I met a another rider in Council Bluffs. We talked during breakfast about many topics, landing on music.
    We both enjoy diverse genres of music. I professed that of most music I could enjoy something of the genre, Except rap.
    Being retired, it has been a long time since someone has given me a “homework” assignment. He gave me the assignment of finding an exception to my exception.
    It’s been a year, listening to music I don’t care for, and I finally have. I think.
    Blondie’s Rapture and Gil Scot-Herron’s The Revolution Will Not Be Televisied.
    Are they rap?
    And, do you have exceptions on your play lists?
    scot_douglas and Paul124ac like this.
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Music isn't very important to me, I don't buy or store it on a device, I don't have play lists, I just pick a radio station that's not likely to play music I don't like. If that's not an option I do without it.
    Undocumented likes this.
  3. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    :dunnoIn my world (soon to be 67 yrs. old), all music creativity stopped around 1971. I do try to be open minded, but I have a musical background - play guitar, some piano, can actually read music, etc. - and draw the line at what some define as "music" today. "Noise" doesn't automatically become "music" merel;y because someone decided it was so.

That said, much of what I hear today are rehashes of older tunes, or older songs reconstructed.

In the end though, I see no reason to make an "exception" to something I abhor..... why?
    scot_douglas likes this.
  4. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Prophet, I understand what you feel about a lot of "music". I don't listen to the radio very often. There is a lot of music since then that you might enjoy if you heard it. Just have to know someone with similar interests who can share it with you. We have WXRT, 93.1, in Chicago that plays a wide range of music.
    As I was saying, I only found two songs that come close to rap, that I like.
    My father used to chastise me for listening to junk. Now, fifty years later people are still listening to it. I TRY to not knock another's "music", it just not what I like. :)
  5. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally, my coworkers and I had the same conversation today. I listen to most anything except Rap and I claimed the exception of Blonde's 'Rapture' as well.
    Undocumented likes this.
  6. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not certain, but it sounds a lot like you wish you were open minded, but aren't there yet.

The point isn't to listen to music you don't like - it's to venture beyond over-simplified categories that represent a vast spectrum of sound.
  7. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    I was introduced to Orchestra Baobab Pirates Choice cd. Recommend it highly. Fits with our old music.
    If you pay attention to which tubes were used in the amp, this will please you.
  8. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where I ride I run out of cell phone coverage, slightly before I run out of radio stations coverage. The few stations available, have to quote from the Blues Brother movie, "Both kinds of music, Country and Western." Such is the benefits of living in missing 50th state of New Mexico. So I use an old iPod with some long play lists. I prefer music of the late 60s and 70s. My kids have turned me on to much of the music they enjoy. It is some pretty good stuff. Music of the 80 was the worst, single phrase repeated, 3 chord trash.
    Sometimes there is nothing better for riding than the classics: Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
    echo15 likes this.
  9. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I like a broad range of music, Hell, I’m an interesting guy LOL. But my riding playlists are pretty bland. I have an iPod shuffle on my chinstrap wired to my sena. I can easily turn it on/off , Volume up/down, and skip one song at a time. But generally it just plays all day.
    That said i carry music that is not too rapid or abrasive and that I won’t mind hearing a few times a day. Also a bit more complicated musically as the noises of the road like helmet noise and knobby buzz can cancel out some of the tones of a song. Rendering some songs unrecognizable. I prefer modern more then older tho Robbie Robertson’s “Broken arrow and Elvis Costello “Watching the detectives” are often on there.

And no... “ Man from mars shooting cars” is Not rap.. just a song with some wacky spoken words in it.. LOL (strictly opinion)
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I’ll second those. Add “Frontier Psychiatry” and “The Message”, plus anything by Flight of the Concordes. I’ve always both said and lived by the premise that my music tastes will move with the times but man, lately, that is a tough gig if you’ll pardon the pun. Watching the local late night music video show it seems if you’ve got big tits and aren’t afraid to get ‘em out then you’ll be an “artist”. I’ve often watched and wondered how far Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix would get these days, or Joan Baez or Aretha Franklin. I’m sorta stuck in the 90’s/early 2000’s with Wheezer, Presidents of the USA, They Might Be Giants, that sort of stuff you never hear on mainstream radio. Been going thru my old Sabbath and Van Halen stuff, give me more Billy Bragg and Billy Gibbons and less Beyoncé.
    scot_douglas likes this.
  11. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    My wife and I went into a nic nak store in Blowing Rock, NC. The owner had some music playing that was very good. I asked who was it? Dion. The old Dion and the Belmont’s Dione. He recorded a blues album. Really good. Different take on old songs. We bought it. The cd. It is 2015 or so.
    Rodrigo y Gabriela. Guitar duo, Latin based, heavy.
  12. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    White people who "don't like rap," often like rap when it's performed by white people.

25 ish years ago I was involved in a college group at church. Big mega church now. Lotsa white college kids, some still in high school. I was introduced to the church by a coworker since I was new, fresh from Africa, and I kept going. Nice people. They all hated rap, except for Irene, she was ambivalent, just didn't like some of the lyrics... The others, no, they couldn't "get it, didn't understand it, disliked it, hated it etc."

I remember at one of our bigger gatherings, we were playing music and the Beastie Boys came on. And they all were singing/ rapping along to the lyrics. I smiled wryly. Then later I had a turn "playing DJ" and had a bunch of oldies playing. They were bopping and having fun.

Later, Beastie Boys are playing again; "Hey Mo, that was a cool mix on your cd, I recognise most of the songs but I don't know them."

Me; you hear them all the time. A lot of them are Motown or other classics and the beats were used in rap songs.

"Yeah I don't like rap."

Me: look around you. It's a rap song. Everybody is singing along. And every single one of you was telling me how much you hate rap, how you can't listen to it, and yet you all know all the Beastie Boys songs.
    Richarde1605 and Paul124ac like this.
  13. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, alright, ya got me on the Beastie Boys. But can I get away with Cypress Hill? Or a bit of Hilltop Hoods? (I suspect we’re sorta falling into hip-hop, but that’s OK, still way better than Kanye.)
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an epiphany on the way home @Undocumented, Sir Mix-a-lot. The man has talent.

15. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    My music taste is pretty diverse, with the exception of rap. In my book there is no such thing as a rap "singer" because rap is in NO way singing. Singing involves the chest register, the head register, vibrato, resonance, pitch and tone of the word sung. Rap can never be any of that because rap is only rythmic talking. Granted I could never do what rap performers do, but what they do sure as hell aint singing.

This is about as much "rap" as i can take:
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe music shaped my life, so I find it to be an ever changing experience that I hope never reaches the point of exhaustion.

When I was a kid I remember listening to the bubble gum sounds of the 60's (I was born in 1960). As I progressed into my teenage years in the 70's, I was hit with what many consider to be the greatest era of musical growth. The late 70's and up until hair metal gave me punk and new wave, two genres that still dominate my listening habits. The grunge and early rap era made me re-think the way music is processed. I hated rap at first...after time I came to embrace certain elements of it. NWA, Beasties and Public Enemy are sorely missed today in my mind. Rap used to be about social change, now it's just chump music to me.

1998 was a breakthrough year. It was then that a 38 year old me first sat behind a drum kit at the urging of my best friend. That blossomed into a band that I'm still proud to be a member of, and the relationship with younger musicians that to this day turn me on to music that I would have never ventured towards.

I can't imagine what a world without music would be. Every day I hear a song that takes me back to a time period in my life and those memories that are associated with it.
    Richarde1605 and scot_douglas like this.
  17. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Neanderthal, your comment on a lot of people’s dislike of music when played by the originators is true. For me, now, I don’t care for rap by anyone. It may change.
    Wingless Angels. Jamaican rastas. I hear them sing. Rap?
  18. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have said numerous times that music started going downhill in the early 90s.....but did it? No....not really.....I just stopped keeping up with the new stuff, and incorrectly believed that anything that came out after the breakup of Motley Crue must just suck.

I still won't listen to rap......my personal opinion, is it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.....you can read Old Mother Hubbard to a rap beat....that doesn't all of a sudden make nursery rhymes into rap songs. However, to be honest I have never actually "listened" to the lyrics.

Re my belief that rock started to suck after 1990 or so? Naw....there are some good bands out there.

Halestorm

Volbeat

5 Finger Death Punch

Evanescence
    scot_douglas likes this.
  19. WindBlast

WindBlast Repoting live from Interzone

Oddometer:
    I feel so sorry for you. :(:

I get so much joy from music I can't imagine limiting my choices by being narrow minded. Generally I hate "pop" music of most any era. Music for the masses doesn't seem to appeal too much to me. Rap and hip hop were not mainstream when they began and the later commercial stuff is pretty awful. Today I just do without it. There is still a lot of alternative music that is pretty damn good. I enjoy watching Jools Holland's show on AXS channel. A lot of new and old and music from around the world. Some of it is terrible but some is extraordinary. At least I try to expose myself to as much variation as possible. Hard to do that listening only to American radio.

I am 60 and listen to everything from Opeth to Muse to Polarbear. I just bought a Bing Crosby CD the other day. Talent is talent regardless of the year.
  20. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Creativity hasn't stopped, your mind simply isn't interested in listening for it.

You want creative, spend a few minutes listening to Beardyman.

Just give it a listen - even through the rough spots - and tell me that isn't creative. :)

Or something completely off the wall, Pipe Guy:

And last but not least - Gerry Phillips!!!

And to share what I like and don't - not much for motown, except for a few songs. Just like you and the raps.