Mutilating an offroader into some sort of scrambler

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Dino de Laurentiis, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Dino de Laurentiis

Dino de Laurentiis Working on it

Oddometer:
    While I was at it I also bead blasted the brake calipers and painted them with the same heat curing paint (previous paint I used was about as resistant to brake fluid as water colors...).

One piece painted, two freshly blasted

0AFB8A04-16C3-437A-B937-C94C073EAFDE.jpeg

Improvised painting booth...

04F6E0A0-96CF-44D3-A7D7-DD4DB404A79B.jpeg

I’ve also made a wheel truing stand, to hone my welding skills. Only took three tries to get it reasonably right. Metallic pink, because why not?!

9EC222DF-7AF8-48CF-9DCD-5FCA9554C76F.jpeg

Oh yeah, the wheel? Currently trying to find its place on my incredibly messy work bench, waiting assembly.

E049BFC8-35A0-46E7-95CD-E7180E45297B.jpeg
  2. CaptainUnsociable

CaptainUnsociable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    £250 for a hub set - front and rear
  3. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Wow, that’s a really good deal. Do you know the brand of the hubs?
  4. CaptainUnsociable

CaptainUnsociable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The brand wasn’t specified but probably talon.

I never bought them in the end I’m going for something a bit different! Stay tuned.

Also if you wanted to buy them get in quick, it was the last set they had.
    Dino de Laurentiis likes this.
  5. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the rear is cush drive avoid talon there cush design is utter crap
  6. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    That’s what I’ve heard as well and that’s why I bought a Haan rear wheel.
  7. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Sooo.... Lacing a wheel seems harder than I thought. In short, I'm certain I have the rim offset (3 mm) and the spoke pattern (2 cross) correct, BUT I still have issues with getting equal adjustment on the spokes, some of them protrude much more than others.

Let me elaborate. I got a new spoke set, in black, which I tried mounting, but couldn't get it them to fit, so I've reverted to stock spokes, which def. did fit before :bluduh The roughly laced pattern looks like below, where blue= outer spoke set on disc side, yellow=inner spoke set on the disc side, red=outer spoke set on the opposite side and green = inner spoke set on opposite. The wheel is offset 3 mm (0.12") from the disc side. I have two spoke lengths., 181x15 mm and 183x10 mm, total number of spokes is 36 with the 18 longer on the disc side (blue and yellow), and the 18 shorter on the opposite side (green and red). I've adjusted all nipples equally, so that they just cover the threads on the spokes, to get a baseline. However, the issue is that then the inner spokes on both sides are quite taught while the outer ones on both sides are really really loose. That is, I have about 1 cm (0.4") of slack on the "red" and "blue" spokes. Logically, I'd then have to loosen the inner spokes and tighten the outer, but the problem is, the spokes on each side pull in different directions, so by doing that I'd twist the hub... I'm thinking I must have done something wrong but I can't figure out what?!

What I've tried so far to make sure I'm not doing some stupid mistake:
    - Tried another spoke set (same issue)
    - Tried putting the offset on the opposite side, that is, not the disc side (result, wheel completely off center in the fork)
    - Tried putting the short spokes on the offset side, instead of recessed side (result, spokes protrude through the nipples)
    - Contacted the manufacturer to make sure that spoke lengths are correct for the wheel

IMG_4450_edit.jpg

blue= long, outer
    yellow=long, inner
    red=short, outer
    green = short,inner

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

N.B. Yes, there are two spoke nipples that are different (black ones), but I've taken that into consideration when tightening the nipples.

edit. N.B.2 Just to be clear, the rim (Excel), the hub (Talon) and spokes (unknown) where bought as one complete, assembled set, so they def. do match each other. Seems that this guy had the same problem, but there was no clear solution? https://advrider.com/f/threads/wheel-lacing-spoke-length-problem.830289/
  8. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    As the actress said to the bishop, you started in the wrong hole.
    nuggets likes this.
  9. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Ok, the actress and bishop kind of wrong hole I get and I can see how what you say makes sense but on this wheel, the dimples in the rim make it so that the spokes only really fit one way. Looking at this image, how would you do it differently while still keeping the 2 cross pattern?

spokes.jpg

-edit- red ones are the outer, looser ones
    DKWraith likes this.
  10. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    So i finally cracked the code on the lacing. Turns there were two issues hampering my progress. One was that the threaded part on the new black spokes was a few mm longer than the old spokes. Second issue, and the most problematic, was that the rim is asymmetric, that is, it is slightly wider on one side from the center line. Only took me four tries before I thought of trying to turn the the rim over compared to the orientation of the hub, and then one extra attempt with the old spokes to make sure the principle was sound, and then chopping of 2 mm (0.08 in) from the new ones, before assembling the wheel with those. Six tries later the front wheel is now assembled. It still needs to be properly trued though...

Other than that, I’ve also relocated and adjusted the front tank mounts to fit the CX500 tank. The rubber grommet/spacers/supports are OEM Honda, while the threaded tubes they attach to are the old mounts reused/refitted.

04633C83-04C8-4651-BEC0-2F78B435CA34.jpeg

B6D70D6A-B962-4D66-9796-23EE9C26A852.jpeg

I also shaved some weight of the voltage regulator, while grinding the paint of the side of the frame. Oopsie.

23AB7091-5981-4190-8DDA-77F1430E1891.jpeg
    flinders_72 and JimVonBaden like this.
  11. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    I’ve tacked the beginning of the subframe together, will be braced with a couple of cross members (one of which will be the rear tank mount) and another diagonal strut going backwards.

B3ECE871-CA0C-4360-B33B-F9BACE20F7B6.jpeg

I’ve started on the tank rear mount, needs more bracing. This mount point will also serve as the support for an alu plate positioned under the tank, where I hope to hide all electronics, including the battery (to be decided, but probably Shorais smallest model). It will also hold the front of the seat in place, so it has to to be pretty sturdy. I’m by no means a master fabricator but it should be functional enough.

1F7C9CD2-6037-4D47-BA03-C9127F6314E5.jpeg

EB4B5586-3FC0-473C-AAF7-72E742299201.jpeg

E83B6CC9-AB86-4777-AFFC-948C7FAE71D8.jpeg
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I like how this is shaping up! :thumb
    flinders_72 likes this.
  13. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim. It’s a rather slow build, but I’m also in no hurry. I hope to have something drivable for next summer, but wouldn’t bet money on that being the case.
    Max Kool and JimVonBaden like this.
  14. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Good to see that you worked it out.

15. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    So there’s been some minor progress on the build, but no pictures of that I’m afraid. What I do have pics of is the latest addition to the stable, however. A 2017 Ducati Supersport 939S, with 3170 km on the clock. Well pleased with this purchase. Even though the only test run was in +3 and occasional showers of rain and sleet, I’ve got the feeling I’ll keep it for a long time.

On the flip side, now is the chance for any Northern European to get a 2008 SV650S for a reasonable price...

1AB9FD2A-ACBA-4ABF-9E04-B6D823422155.jpeg
    Foxed101, kito and invisa-bill like this.
  16. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vey nice :viking
    Post it down to me so I can run it in properly for you, almost not frosting here yet...
  17. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no. I’ll keep it in bed until it’s warmer out again, relishing my mid life crisis (couldn’t afford the Porsche...).

But why don’t you buy the SV off me, and turn it into a nice 4-stroke tracker to complement your KR fetish?
  18. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    - - Interruption for a special broadcast following. Regular programming will continue presently - -

So, I didn’t realise material happinesses could feel this good, but I guess it comes with turning forty?! Women, why would I need that when I have a Ducati?

F95682DD-2173-4C04-B8D4-39FB8234095F.jpeg
  19. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    I’ve started mocking up seat length. Originally I wanted it to be long enough for two up riding comfortably but I’m slowly changing my mind towards a shorter seat. Both because id likely use another bike for longer 2 up riding and because I like the look better with a shorter seat. Among other things so I can put on a rear luggage rack without it hanging out too far back. That of course means that the sub frame will be ridiculously over built, especially with the extra bracing I’m now putting in. Perhaps I’ll build a lighter subframe later on. Like, in v3.0...

C011A30E-5FE4-46A4-BF69-81E5AA10B3CC.jpeg

I’ve also added some captive nuts on the subframe, but the welds turned out like crap so no after pics of that. In any case, it greatly improved the stability of the subframe, so worth it even if a bit ugly.

F04AC00E-04AC-4B69-A32B-5F560E903FDC.jpeg
  20. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Must be raining....

No Duc riding....

:D
    Dino de Laurentiis likes this.