Mutilating an offroader into some sort of scrambler

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Dino de Laurentiis, Jan 7, 2018.

1. CaptainUnsociable

CaptainUnsociable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the progress, keep at it!

I like what you did with flattening that tubing.

Did you flatten, add a radius, weld and then tidy? I'll nab that.
  2. Dino de Laurentiis

Dino de Laurentiis Working on it

Oddometer:
    To flatten the tube I just squeezed it in the vice and smashed the edges with a sledgehammer to flatten them completely. After that I grinded the flat surface to get rid of the vice marks and the radius I made in the “circular sander” (whatever that’s called in English). I didn’t actually weld the to flattens tube pieces, don’t think that would make much of a difference? Kind of a ghetto approach, but hey, if it works, right?
  3. CaptainUnsociable

CaptainUnsociable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think welding would make much difference. Negligible gains if any.

I like it, use what you've got, looks sturdy enough, over engineered almost, you are winning! Good work.

I will get some pics up of mine when rebuild begins. CCM forever... Frames anyway!
    Dino de Laurentiis likes this.
  4. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Do it, man. I mean, the build quality of older CCMs is decidedly subpar so they do need work, haha!
  5. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    So, some progress. Slow progress, but still.

I’ve tacked both sub frame supports in place. That needed some modification of the air box, so I went to town with a heat gun and massaged the air box to fit. End result was looking like some charred piece of brain, but it cleaned up reasonably well with an angle grinder (!). As you can tell, it’s all about finesse and a soft touch around here.

624C27BF-98B0-441A-B83A-149D316E1BB6.jpeg

2B0BE681-7679-4D62-B89F-4A002633EA19.jpeg

5597E589-0882-4D2A-950E-FFAE61F0699B.jpeg
    BergDonk and Foxed101 like this.
  6. Foxed101

Foxed101 Monkeywrench

Oddometer:
    What? No picture of your charred brain child?:annie

The carnage and the beauty of the end result, it’s all part of the building process:linzi:toney
    :beer
  7. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Hehe, no, at first I thought I couldn’t salvage it, and would hide it as much as possible behind the frame tubing, so didn’t want to take photos to remind me... I’ll have to do it again on the other side of the air box though, as it’s pressing on the frame somewhat, I’ll try to snap some photos of the process then.
    Foxed101 likes this.
  8. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Started mocking up a mounting plate for the electrics. The jumble of cables at the back will be much reduced when I’m done, and that’s still a big reduction compared to the stock loom (in the pic is CDI unit, m-unit blue, and the sensor hub for the motoscope pro dash.

E016DD0B-4F16-42A8-B159-FF1E24C2D7D3.jpeg

There’s loads of space under the tank as you can see, so initially I wanted to keep a compact lithium battery but it seems those which would fit have inadequate cranking power. I contacted EarthX and although they have a very compact battery, they recommended their ETX18F for a large thumper such as this, and it simply won’t fit, meaning I’ll have to use the stock battery position at the rear of the air box. Perhaps ok.

955060E7-DED9-4DB5-B72A-98CD4FFC24AC.jpeg

990A7B9B-6691-4B19-8930-1E0D60A5D3DE.jpeg
  9. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    One thing though, there’s a bit of a gap under the tank and the top sub frame rails. I’m not super happy about the gap but it makes for a stronger subframe without a lot of complex bracing so I won’t change it now.

As I’ve done the mock up, it’s aligned with the underside of the tank. I’m thinking that maybe I should let the mounting plate come down to follow the frame rails, and fold up the sides to fill this gap. What do you think (keep in mind that the mounting plate, and all frame parts will be painted the same semi matt black)?

BB7C6227-C139-45E5-A87A-EE8D6BAF005C.jpeg

A789A059-8EA2-4CD9-9F67-79C7C73C8B84.jpeg

-edit- one more thing. There’s only one petcock on this tank, and that might have worked on the very rear wards slanted position it has on a stock CX500 but it won’t work here, so I’d like to connect the two sides (preferably before I start using it as it now has been vented of fumes for several years, and in fact rinsed with hot water and ethanol by me, and should be safe to work with). I was thinking I’d just brace two nipples and connect each side with a tube. Comments?

4EE81740-2382-48A5-9D34-7473A3578E97.jpeg

655817DF-FE9D-4CDD-91CE-2B066727EBD1.jpeg
  10. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Lower the mounting plate, and fold up the edges to fill the gap.

More space, big battery in there ?
  11. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing. It will look the best.

Battery won’t fit either way if I go with the stock size (earth x has the same size), unfortunately. Even if I place it resting directly on the sub frame rails, I can’t put the tank back on. I mean, I could easily put in shorai’s smallest battery, and on paper, their 210 CCA should be enough, but I hear their specs aren’t necessarily comparable to a lead acid battery.
  12. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    What is the biggest Shorai you could squeeze in there?

They can lay flat, upside down, what ever you need!
  13. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’ll have to check and I can’t quite make sense of browsing shorai’s website other than search by motorcycle model so hard to say which sizes are available. The sealed lead acid battery I have as a dummy is 148x85x105 mm, and I’d say that’s too large no matter how I mount it. Of course, I’d like decent space for running the battery cables too. Will give it another try next time.
    Roofchop likes this.
  14. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    As opposed to most others, I actually enjoy doing electrical wiring. I think it pleases my inner aspie. In that vein, I've done a complete wiring diagram. These m-unit thingies are supposed to simplify and cut down on wires but still looks pretty messy to me. To be fair, I think it'll be a lot neater in real life.

electrical wiring-01.png
    flinders_72, Bowler and Tanshanomi like this.
  15. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    There’s also v0.666 of the mock up electrical mounting plate.

B2CB71F5-33CD-4CC5-935D-9128D34F7227.jpeg
    Bowler likes this.
  16. Bowler

Bowler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks nice! I'm also in the process of making a new wiring loom, but it took me so long I asked a friend to help :)

What programm do you use to make the drawings?
  17. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Yeah, to be fair I think it makes the most sense to just lay it out directly on the motorcycle, as a wiring diagram won’t tell you what length of cable you need or how much space you have for cable routes etc. It might be useful for sizing connectors and the number of leads you need to run from one point to another though.

I already have a pretty solid idea of what it will look like on the bike, so this diagram I did more because I was bored rather than a specific need. It’s all done in Adobe Illustrator (A3 size paper).
    Bowler likes this.
  18. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    A bit of electrical history. This is the stuff that I cut off the stock CCM loom, before I made the loom with first m.Unit which I ran for some 1300 km... nothing wrong functionally with it but I’m expecting to cut more stuff out of the current loom.

Attached Files:

19. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas, everyone.

Didn’t get any gifts for myself but my dog got a new garage bed. He already looks more comfortable than I’ve ever seen him in the garage before.

ACC2AF8A-FD00-4ABF-857F-1CAA18E70AC3.jpeg
    DKWraith, wilfred, smolt and 8 others like this.
  20. Dino de Laurentiis

Oddometer:
    More electrical. These are the cables I need to fit inside the handlebar, which is more and more looking Swiss cheese like, with all the holes I’ve drilled in it:
    - 7x button switches (starter, heated grip control, instrument panel control, headlight switch, horn, indicator switch L, indicator switch R)
    - brake light switch
    - indicator L
    - indicator R
    - heated grip L
    - heated grip R
    - m.Button
    - m.Button ground

What’s STILL missing in this bundle are the 14 individual ground connections (to be decided if I’ll run those separately all the way out of the handle bar or if I’ll fuse them somewhere along the way)...

79B40A17-4C2F-40F1-88FC-753D488423C5.jpeg
    flinders_72 and JagLite like this.