MX boots vs ADV boots - which to choose??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DeLewis, May 12, 2018.

1. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G’day folks,
    I’m on the hunt for a replacement for the Forma Adventures - comfy boots but about as much protection as a pair of leg warmers. I’m a daily commuter and get out on easy trails / moderate technical terrain / ADV riding far more in my imagination than in reality.

I was sizing up the Sidi Crossfires - found them comfortable but very heavy. I was talked out of them by the saleswoman who reckoned (based on personal experience) that they’re not great for commuting. They are also not waterproof which is pretty much essential for me.

I then ordered a set of Sidi Adventures (sight unseen) and not sure I can get used to them - very narrow in the toebox - next size up would definitely be too big everywhere else. Not particularly impressed with the fit and design overall.

I’ve already tried the Toucans - again too narrow.

Ideally, I guess I’m looking for an MX style boot that is waterproof and doesn’t weight a ton.

The Forma Terrains look like they may fit the bill and can be purchased with a waterproof ‘bootie’: https://www.formaboots.com.au/collections/off-road/products/terrain-tx-enduro-anthracite

But I’d like to hear what other riders have found in this niche. Perhaps the Sidi Adventures are as good as it gets as compromise between protection, weight and water resistance - plenty of rave reviews for them. But they haven’t won me over yet.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    What protection is most important to you?
    I doubt you will find what you are after in an MX boot, as they aren't designed or made to commute in or be walking around in much.
    You will have to compromise somewhere, you just have to decide what those compromises are. With the Italian boots, half sizes are generally the same length as the main # and the 1/2 is a wider foot area. Eg 9 1/2 is a wide 9.
    Have you looked at the Gaerne ADV type boots, or the TCX or Acerbis boots.
    _20180512_224756.JPG _20180512_224728.JPG
    _20180512_225545.JPG
    DeLewis likes this.
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    I use (and like) Forma Adventures, Falco lows, and Rjay's touring boots on the road bikes.

but Forma Predator 2.0 on the dirt bike.

How about the Alpinestars Corozal or the Gaerne G Adventure ?
    Not much more protection than the Forma, but aren't you after a compromise, MX vs road ?

Edit: I have tougher hiking boots than the Forma Adventures, but I still like them.
    DeLewis likes this.
  4. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Astars tech 7's
  5. Hvymax

Hvymax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shin protection is what I worry about. I didn't really think anything about the sticks and debris bouncing off my legs until I saw the video of the guy spearing his leg on a stick!!!
    DeLewis likes this.
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Great boots... as a little "softer" alternative (to the full MX/enduro T7's)... Alpinestars entry level three buckle closure version - Tech 3's - could be a good budget "adventure" boot choice... well priced also.
    GodSilla and DeLewis like this.
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a bit of reading up on boots because I have to update my gear and boots are first on the list.

I find it funny that most people buy the worry about wearing a cheap helmet, but boots never seem to enter the equation, yet your feet are constantly bombarded with crap and being jammed into the ground every time you go off road, but if everything goes like it should your helmet should stay away from the ground...

Anyway, I have a wide foot, and apparently the Sidis are good for people with narrow footses. Gearnes are apparently good for broad foots with the occasional person saying Alpinestars tech7 or 10's are good.

I never noticed I had a wide foot until I was buying runners and the nice shop assistant pointed it out, even though I always have a lot of room in the toe if I buy shoes that fit my width... Guess I'm not very quick.:lol3
    DeLewis likes this.
  8. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a wide foot also.
    My last boots were Gearnes and they were loyal servants for many years.
    The Astar tech 7's feel just as good if not a little more comfortable... and were well priced. The 10's have an inner bootie and I think are either a love hate thing.
    DeLewis likes this.
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I have had Alpinestars Tech 7's and Tech 10 (and nothing else) the last 20 years or so... The difference being - like you say - that the 10's have a removable inner "bootie"/liner. My last pair of 10's were particularly useful (in that I have a bung right ankle)... and with a bit of craft knife/duct tape surgery to the inner boot, it made for a very comfortable and snug fit.

Some riders I have heard - don't like 'em - because they are too "bulky" in the ankle (and usually you have to run them a half - to a full size larger - in order to accommodate for the inner boot).
    DeLewis likes this.
  10. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you find the crossfires comfortable, have you considered using them for recreational rides but having a dedicated waterproof / less stiff boot for commuting? I'm a big fan of being able to feel the controls on road rides ( not that I do many)

Nb Stil invest in decent , protective commuting boots!!!
    DeLewis and Cruz like this.
  11. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the many suggestions. I need to try the Alpinestars Techs - they’re obviously a popular choice - and the Gearnes which don’t seem to be widely stocked in the bike shops around SE Melbourne.
  12. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    MX Boots & waterproof in my research proved mutually exclusive.
    I opted for Tech 7's for ankle support & off road riding and just suffer the wet boot/sock scenario for the duration of trip.
    Use softer waterproof boots for commuting.
    Gimme 2, Kiwirich and DeLewis like this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Victor, I have three sets of boots for different occasions. Road, MX/Enduro and adventure. It does get difficult trying to find a boot to do all.

If you do have to go one size larger, try an inner sole. To get a boot to fit my foot width there was room between my toes and the roof on my boot. This took up some of my motion when shifting up gear. I fitted inserts.

Question Guys - can you get waterproof booties to use in any boot?
    DeLewis likes this.
  14. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I like the Sidi Adventures, still have good ankle and shin protection as well as hard plastic protectors in other places and good for walking, completely waterproof. When I have to replace mine I'll be buying the same, I still think they offer the best protection of the non motorcross boots.

image.jpeg
    asi00007, Gimme 2, Suncoaster and 2 others like this.
  15. racca

racca wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
    I also have a wide foot, when i bought new boots 12 months ago I tried on heaps of boots. Sidis were way too tight, the Gaernes were the best fit and comfiest. Ended up with AStar Tech7's which were on special for less than half the price of the Gaernes. More than happy with the Tech 7's.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Trying to get one set of boots to do it all is a bit like finding that perfect 4 season riding suit - good luck.

I'm currently using 2 pairs. Forma Adventure shorty boots for general stuff because they are waterproof and comfy to walk in (I have stronger hiking boots ffs), and Tech 8's for the rough shit.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  17. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm with @AUSSIEADV , I have multiple pairs of boots, Astar Tech 7's for more serious riding, Astar Toucan for Adv riding (probably the most comfortable boot I have owned), pair of Shark shorty Adv boots for around town in summer, a pair of AXO MX boots and a pair of Diadora road boots. They are all diifferent sizes and have different uses..No boot will do it all...
    kojack06, BygDaddee and AUSSIEADV like this.
  18. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    +1 for the SIDI... The do the job and they are very comfortable, but I wouldn't use them for hiking...

It seem that the OP wants the bottle of wine still full and the wife drunk... You can't have both... Proper protection comes at a cost... Weight..
    kojack06 and DeLewis like this.
  19. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Def takes 2 pairs, especially when you consider how cheap you can buy the road/tourer boot for, i picked up the shark shortys for $99, and RST Adventure arent to shabby for road/touring either about $150
  20. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see there are a few here wearing the Forma Adventure shorties and similar.
    Now I don't want to be negative but I was wearing the shorties in my off last year.
    I was riding on the road at the time traveling at approx 100-110 kph.
    I didn't impact with anything except the road, I broke and dislocated my right ankle, I also broke the fifth metatarsal bone in my left foot.
    The boots barely have a mark on them from the accident, nothing that would indicate the damage my feet experienced.
    So it's just my opinion and maybe I was really unlucky but it would appear that the boots didn't offer any real protection.
    I'm pretty sure that most of us travel at 100 kph or faster on the Highway when it's safe, so maybe it's worth a rethink on what you wear on your feet.
    Just for the record, I'm now wearing Alpine Star Toucans, my choice was influenced because they have the Gortex liner and Sidi's don't fit me.