MX boots vs ADV boots - which to choose??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DeLewis, May 12, 2018.

1. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These Fox Instinct offroad boots are fantastic super comfy and a great sole best boots I’ve had after numerous Alpinestars 7,10’s tried a pair of Forma Terra’s sold them after 2 rides waaay to soft u really should be on the side of stiffer and more protection if doing any off-road riding IMO
    AA1887AB-1E67-4D9F-B2B3-79B36D1FA332.png
    088818FC-30AC-4616-A6BB-E35B0B5935F1.png
  2. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to see how they fair long term, they look the goods and read well on paper.
    I've just never had any luck with Fox gear lasting, it tends to fall apart on me.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Found some Fox 180 boots for less than half the price of the Tech 7 so will give them a go.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to try the FOX Instinct (the store stock only the MX sole version though) when I was trying boots out... I liked the four buckle design of the Instinct... but unfortunately there were not in my size (in the store) to try. I really like the look of the "off road" version sole too. Be keen to hear how you like them after a long term evaluation - they look the goods!

Can't argue with that pricetag... the sole of the 180's is pretty smooth (motocross) yes? Wonder if they do an "offroad/enduro" sole - like the Instinct has...?
  5. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    From what I could find out on the net and from the Australian shop who has them cheaper than anywhere else in the world, they only come with the mx sole. I use Pivot Pegz so won't be a worry on either the Berg or 500X. Pity the all black weren't available though the blue and white will go with the Berg a bit.
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Your starting to sound more like @BygDaddee every day, 2 peas in a pod....next will be Berg coloured clothing :D:D:D
    BygDaddee likes this.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I only wear pants over boots, so as little as possible will be seen.
    Will the colour coded Bell helmet find a home? ;) ;) ;)
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I took a ride on Wednesday with my neighbour into the mountain wilds behind my place. I debated using my shortie Adventure boots, but while waterproof they are lightweight, protection-wise, so I wore my Tech 8's instead.

I'm so glad I did. A crash, having my left foot torn off the footpeg by a branch, and lots of rocks and rubble and shrapnel and wood being thrown up off the front wheel, as the trails we rode hadn't seen a wheel in some considerable time.

While the shortie boots are good for touring and rallies, for offroad the MX boots are king.
  10. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not unless they have improved the comfort and fit for my delicate melon :-):-)
    Cruz likes this.
  11. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is a really helpful and timely thread. I'm trying to figure out what boots to go for right now. Have an XR650R and am really only interested in riding trails, mostly single day, maybe two days but not long ADV rides. Road riding for an hour or two each way to get to the trails. I'm thinking MX boots but would prefer an enduro sole for those super rocky CO trails in the event I have to walk a bit. Tried on the Alpinestars Tech 1, 5, and 7's today. I'm a 50+ day a season skier so the boots felt super soft to me compared to what I expected, i.e. ski boot feel. I'd love to try some Sidis but the lower cost of the Astars is appealing. Those ^ Fox boots look great if they last.

I'm thinking of trading the XRR for a smaller trails only bike, or adding a smaller 250 trails only bike soon, and may be putting my XRR on a hitch rack soon instead of riding out to the trails, as I'm just not that interested in road riding these days, so I'm much more inclined to get dirt oriented stuff than adv stuff.
    Cruz and a2zworks like this.