MX boots vs ADV boots - which to choose??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DeLewis, May 12, 2018.

1. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These Fox Instinct offroad boots are fantastic super comfy and a great sole best boots I’ve had after numerous Alpinestars 7,10’s tried a pair of Forma Terra’s sold them after 2 rides waaay to soft u really should be on the side of stiffer and more protection if doing any off-road riding IMO
    AA1887AB-1E67-4D9F-B2B3-79B36D1FA332.png
    088818FC-30AC-4616-A6BB-E35B0B5935F1.png
  2. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to see how they fair long term, they look the goods and read well on paper.
    I've just never had any luck with Fox gear lasting, it tends to fall apart on me.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Found some Fox 180 boots for less than half the price of the Tech 7 so will give them a go.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to try the FOX Instinct (the store stock only the MX sole version though) when I was trying boots out... I liked the four buckle design of the Instinct... but unfortunately there were not in my size (in the store) to try. I really like the look of the "off road" version sole too. Be keen to hear how you like them after a long term evaluation - they look the goods!

Can't argue with that pricetag... the sole of the 180's is pretty smooth (motocross) yes? Wonder if they do an "offroad/enduro" sole - like the Instinct has...?
  5. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    From what I could find out on the net and from the Australian shop who has them cheaper than anywhere else in the world, they only come with the mx sole. I use Pivot Pegz so won't be a worry on either the Berg or 500X. Pity the all black weren't available though the blue and white will go with the Berg a bit.
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Your starting to sound more like @BygDaddee every day, 2 peas in a pod....next will be Berg coloured clothing :D:D:D
    BygDaddee likes this.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I only wear pants over boots, so as little as possible will be seen.
    Will the colour coded Bell helmet find a home? ;) ;) ;)
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I took a ride on Wednesday with my neighbour into the mountain wilds behind my place. I debated using my shortie Adventure boots, but while waterproof they are lightweight, protection-wise, so I wore my Tech 8's instead.

I'm so glad I did. A crash, having my left foot torn off the footpeg by a branch, and lots of rocks and rubble and shrapnel and wood being thrown up off the front wheel, as the trails we rode hadn't seen a wheel in some considerable time.

While the shortie boots are good for touring and rallies, for offroad the MX boots are king.
  10. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not unless they have improved the comfort and fit for my delicate melon :-):-)
    Cruz likes this.
  11. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is a really helpful and timely thread. I'm trying to figure out what boots to go for right now. Have an XR650R and am really only interested in riding trails, mostly single day, maybe two days but not long ADV rides. Road riding for an hour or two each way to get to the trails. I'm thinking MX boots but would prefer an enduro sole for those super rocky CO trails in the event I have to walk a bit. Tried on the Alpinestars Tech 1, 5, and 7's today. I'm a 50+ day a season skier so the boots felt super soft to me compared to what I expected, i.e. ski boot feel. I'd love to try some Sidis but the lower cost of the Astars is appealing. Those ^ Fox boots look great if they last.

I'm thinking of trading the XRR for a smaller trails only bike, or adding a smaller 250 trails only bike soon, and may be putting my XRR on a hitch rack soon instead of riding out to the trails, as I'm just not that interested in road riding these days, so I'm much more inclined to get dirt oriented stuff than adv stuff.
    Cruz and a2zworks like this.
  12. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro boots?
  13. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s what I bought a few months ago. Best boots I’ve ever bought. I use them off road and for my daily commute. Very comfortable with enough movement to make shifting pretty good. Only downside is they are not waterproof.
    a2zworks likes this.
  14. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! They’re top of my list at the moment, must go try a pair on.....
  15. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    How are you dealing with Melb rain then, goretex socks?
    Do your new Rev’it riding pants go over them and zip down easy?
  16. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    If anyone is keen on the Fox instinct off-road boots keep an eye on eBay. Was looking at a pair of US 12's in MX sole at a shop yesterday for $349 on sale. Figured I'd check eBay before buying them. Found a pair with the off-road sole last night for $379 with free postage.
    Suncoaster and AUSSIEADV like this.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpine Stars, 5 I think, can’t remember.

You need the best protection you can get. ADV boots just wont cut it. I have ADV boots and they are super comfy but will not provide the same level of protection.

Is there a point where you can have too much protection? Is there a boot to this level? If a boot has the ability to prevent foot injuries, does it then transfer the trauma to the ankle? Does the best ankle protection transfer the trauma to the fib/rib?

20181008_162424.jpg
    deadflagblues and DeLewis like this.
  18. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Errrr! Dunno but I've been wearing Sidi Adventure boots that I've been really happy with for adv riding. Bought the Fox for more technical stuff.
    My mate who I ride with all the time clipped a wooden fence post that impacted his foot and was hard enough to shear the bolt for the footpeg off.
    Silly bugger had been wearing Toucan adv boots with a collapsed toe box gaffa taped up for ages.
    He's still wearing a moon boot six weeks after the accident. Broke 3 of his meta tarsal bones (on top of arch) and has another few weeks for doc to re-asses foot on whether surgery will be required. He's not been able to work since. His wife has told him to sell the bike to make up for the income shortfall. Luckily he has a spare.
    His predicament made my mind up on springing for a solid pair of boots.
    I'm still in shock due to the revelation that gaffa tape can not in fact fix everything.
    Silly bastard should have used zip ties as well...unbeatable!
  19. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry only just saw your post. Despite our reputation for being a city of drizzle and damp, we don’t actually see a whole lot of rainy days - and proper downpours even less. So I’ve only had a few occasions where my socks were a bit damp. I guess if I were planning a longer trip I would look at goretex socks. Yeah, the rev’it pants just zip down over the top.
    a2zworks likes this.
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rib … ?

That would be a very long boot ...

[someone had to say it]

Do you have a memory of how your foot was injured?

I recently got a pair of Gearne Adv boots for commuting - surprised by how light the construction is - whole thing weighs less than a riding boot - very comfortable, but probably a lot less secure than Sidi Adv boots
    AUSSIEADV likes this.