MX boots vs ADV boots - which to choose??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DeLewis, May 12, 2018.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I do Sam. Just that it was difficult to say where along the side of the bike it was and what my foot was actually going through. It was near the foot peg but I was standing when I went down. I tend to think the actual foot was getting twisted as the bike was sliding. This is what it felt like.

Maybe we are better with foot protection over ankle protection? Maybe @Dr AT can shed some light.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, since you ask...

I crushed my foot under the guzzi a couple of years ago - 4 brocken bones in the mid foot . Feet are horrible things to break - lots of forces going through complex joints between multiple bones , held together by an irrational collection of ligaments and muscles - whoever was working at foot R+D the day the human foot was designed got demoted to a very special place in hell............right next door to the bmw paralever engineer.......

I've had my fair share of ankle injuries- no where near as nasty as foot injuries in my personal opinion.

ps - aussieadv - the "rib" got injured as well....flail chest, punctured lung.....my tibia was fine :augie
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  3. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'd prefer any sort of fracture that didn't involve a joint to one that did
    Dr AT likes this.
  4. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    A short ride in the new Fox off road boots just now. Immediately noticed how much easier I can grip the bike with my legs when standing up compared to my usual Sidi adventure boots.
    Mentioning this because I haven't heard this difference brought up when reading discussions of adv boots vs mx boots. IMG_20181016_174053119.jpg
    Suncoaster and Hoots like this.
  5. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After much deliberation and trying on boots, I’ve ordered a pair of Alpinestars Tech 3 Enduros. Can’t get them in Oz, so have ordered from overseas, will let you know when they get here
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Most every mx/enduro (competition specific) boot on the market today, have some form of leather/synthetic/kevlar type contact patch on the inner calf area, that affords better "grip" to the sides of the motorcycle - pricipally while standing*

[​IMG]

* when seated - it is often the knees/thigh area that provid "grip" to the tank/seat junction area... which is why most mx pants - accordingly have a leather/synthetic/kevlar type contact patch on the inside calf/knee area:

[​IMG]

These two features certainly increase the grip/contact with the motorcycle - as cuttlefish mentions.

But just a note to all the "shiny" adventure bike owners out there... the contact comes at a price... generally speaking the lower chassis/footpeg frame rails, side panel/plastics and even tank/seat junction - WILL - exhibit great wear/rubbing/scuffing as a result of the abrasive contact patch nature. Just look at the sides of most enduro/mx bikes in this area.

Which lends me to suspect why most "Adventure boots" or adventure "pants" don't have the same type of materials to the inner leg... while reinforced or strengthened in many cases... the "sandpaper" effect is often left out - as it is easier on the bikes surfaces.
  7. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    This is made much worse when you throw knee braces on
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  8. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Yup. :nod :lol3

I've often wondered if the kneebrace manufacturers are in cahoots with the the pants, seatcover and sidepanel plastic/decal manufacturers. :D

Those things rip up the sides of a bike in record time... then just add a bit of mud and sand to the recipe: :fpalm
    a2zworks likes this.
  9. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    As a caveat to my previous post: the difference was also so pronounced because I was riding my Freeride which is ultra skinny so very difficult to grip with the Sidi adventure boots...so the Fox will definitely be the boot of choice for the scrawny Austrian super model from now on.
  10. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    i just bought a set of Gaerne G-aLL terrain Goretex boots. $480
    The sizing is spot on ,i ve just done a 5k trip with them . They're super comfortable to ride in and to walk in they're especially good . Protection is not made for a heel smashing turn 12 Phillip island circuit highside or a narly rocky 2 day enduro race .
    Main reason i bought these adventure riding plus they're top quality, goretex , have a good following comfort and longevity wise plus parts can be replaced , like the soles and clips etc.
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apropos of gripping the bike:

Have found that you need the hard plastic spine of an MX boot (eg Crossfires) to work well with StegPegz
    Dee Cee likes this.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Adventure boots get plenty of ‘traction’ by snagging on my StegPegs.

My overboot pants reduce the potential for scuffing.
  13. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Leatt C-frames.
    Have been very happy with mine and you can still feel the bike between your legs.
    wass and AUSSIEADV like this.
  14. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I did a couple of years ago.
    I tried the tech 3 MX boots and they were wider than all the other Tech series. (I have EEEE feet).

So I took a punt the Enduro version would be as wide and they were.

Very happy with my purchase.
    Dr AT likes this.
  15. PomInAus

PomInAus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same, I have wide feet and found the 5’s and 7’s narrow! I confirmed with Alpinestars here that they were the same. You can buy the 3’s here and they buy the Enduro sole but it’s $90 so makes it expensive