My ‘round the country ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Howboudanancypelosi, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Howboudanancypelosi

Howboudanancypelosi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome experience. Tricky is certifiable grade A 100 percent ripper. Never seen anyone drag knee on an FJ much less without pucks!

this whole experience has been truly moving.
    bk brkr baker and tricky. like this.
  2. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s fun reading a RR report when the rider is living LARGE. Your mom and dad I would think are pleased. All the best for your dad. About camping, when you make stops in late afternoon or evening ask local riders for help and advise about camping. Many will have a suggestion bout free camping. After all it’s where they live and some will say follow me home I got a soft lawn and a hot shower. Take Care Petepilot
  3. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    where you at now, Mr.?
  4. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    I’m at Silver Fork Store off 50 in Eldorado National Forest. Thanks to tricky I had 2 nights camping in the nicest location I’ve experienced. He also recommended a phenomenal route for me to take to Santa Cruz.

yesterday was my birthday. I’ve ridden a lot, didn’t sleep well last night....slightly ashamed but I’m just gonna take the freeway route. Got a hotel in Santa Cruz a mile from the beach. Tomorrow night idk where I’m sleeping gotta figure that out. Hoping for camping north of San Francisco.

I think I’m going to ship some clothes and things home that I don’t need and try to find some proper stuff in the Bay Area. I need a water filtration device...bottles don’t work. I need to get rid of my jeans and shoes and just get some thermals, some mocassin type shoes, and maybe a second sleeping bag and send my fleece blanket home. I’ve got too much and I’m too cold at night, I need to do what I can to make the remaining 2-3 weeks as good as they can be.
  5. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Made it to Santa Cruz! Riding super slab in Cali has been fun as it’s a new experience.

managed to hit my foot on a plastic bump near the dashes on my way through Sacramento going about 90. Just was stretching my legs. Lesson learned
    ISUCyclones likes this.
  6. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    When you get to the hotel in Santa Cruz and your mom has a six pack, a BLT, and a slice of cake for you at the front desk.....

Attached Files:

Bombadier36, EmmEff, 68vette and 2 others like this.
  7. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Going to rr a little here take advantage of the birthday hotel. Really sore after trying to follow tricky yesterday and nearly breaking my big toe on the hwy today.

where to camp outside of San Francisco......

Attached Files:

tricky. likes this.
  8. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Today has been very productive and it’s not even 2 o clock!
    I got on the bike at 730 and rode CA-9 thru several nearby state parks and stopped in Saratoga to warm up with a gas station coffee. Then rode to Walmart in San Jose and an REI after that.
    I mailed home my bulky shoes, jeans, and some shirts and boxers I haven’t needed. Went to Walmart and got a 20 dollar pair of wrangler pants I’ve never seen before, almost designed for backpacking/camping. Warm, lightweight thin and malleable with extra pockets. Then I got top and bottom thermals, a small water purifier w/16 oz bladder, small gloves, and a pair of Sanuk moccasins. So I’ve effectively made my clothes warmer, take up probably 80 percent of the space, and cut my water space in half or more while effectively gaining unlimited water in many places.

Now to just figure out where to go from here. I know I want to head to a national forest and camp a few days and explore the area just not sure which one. Still haven’t gone to San Francisco so I’ll try to find a place less than a couple hours from there, I’d like to have a day being a tourist in the city there.
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to find you a campsite near San Fran and 3 came up . The best for your plan was Rob Hill in the Presidio. The c-19 bummer has all 3 shut down , such is life. I'm thinking you'll be in a room and camping when you get well north of the population areas.
    Enjoy the Bay.
  10. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m beginning to think about just getting up early and getting on the road, checking out San Fran for a couple hours, then pitching a tent in Mendocino
  11. tricky.

tricky. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want nearish SF in the forest you could Samuel P Taylor State Park, its in a redwood forest and mid week it should not be too busy. You'll need to check its availability though due to COVID.

Dont trust google. The CA.gov list of state parks open for camping seem to indicate its open for camping (https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files/OpenCampgrounds.pdf)

I'd call first to double check. A number of pcampgrounds in sonoma county seem to be open too, perhaps not forest but the coast up there is stunning. https://parks.sonomacounty.ca.gov/Visit/Gualala-Point-Regional-Park/Camping/
  12. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    It is. I’ve been using the list. Updated while you and I were riding together.

but those state parks appear to be “campgrounds” requiring “reservations” and they’re booked except for a handful of first come spots.

may just try to get away with pitching a tent.

the gentleman camping beside me when I was at the spot you recommended to me told me all about how he has just camped for free in random places all over. It was inspiring. Just gotta be a little smart and not afraid.
  13. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Dude you’re the shit. Looks like I can get in Sonoma county.
  14. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Gualala point....40/night.

I honestly don’t understand why it’s so costly. IOverlander shows an abandoned barn in the area I could just as comfortably use!
    I’ll do something
  15. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Pics from today

Attached Files:

16. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Air bnb San Francisco tomorrow perhaps
  17. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please no pictures in the Stranglers

Good write up otherwise
    Howboudanancypelosi likes this.
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    stay close to your bike in SF.
  19. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    I know....idk how I’ll be able to at an air bnb.
    may try hipcamp too. Just want to pitch my tent somewhere beside my bike.
  20. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    I just booked an air bnb at a Japanese family’s home in Union City, street parking. The neighborhood looked ok to me on google earth.
    Time to go explore San Francisco! Absorbing the culture out here is awesome. Even better on a motorcycle.