My ‘round the country ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Howboudanancypelosi, Jun 25, 2020.

1. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1.5"-2" pvc pipe may be a decent alternative for a seal driver.
  2. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You probably have this figured out but just in case. Use some zip ties to secure fabric or ? Around the front fork. This will stop the fork oil from getting on your brake rotor!

Ride safe..
  3. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has a penchant for pulling some impressive wheelies on his CBX 6 banger , has had a few catastrophic seal failures as a result , always heads to the store for supplies. Cloth , rags ? No to the feminine products shelf. Maxi-pads are the key to soaking up the fork oil.
    Oznay and Howboudanancypelosi like this.
  4. Howboudanancypelosi

Howboudanancypelosi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No i hadn’t thought of that! Not a bad idea perhaps.

at this point I’m procrastinating. I’m enjoying my friends home in Medford. I got a rear tire put on today, tried to stop my leak and failed, and reached out to 4 shops to fix it. 3 here in Medford can do it Thursday a week from today. I’m waiting to hear from latus triumph in Portland.

ideally they can help and I’ll lolligag my way through three phenomenal national forests over 4-6 days northward to Portland, get it fixed, then hit 101 into Washington.

This trip will be 55 days or longer
  5. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    I’m going to try to fix this leaky fork seal again today. This time around I’ll run by the local cycle gear for some suspension cleaner and they may have that little seal cleaner tool as well. Worth a shot I mean what else am I gonna do but wait a week otherwise?
  6. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there is a pumpkin shop around... This is far and away your best choice.

Screenshot_20200731-101933.jpg
    Oznay likes this.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a street bike, the likelihood that it is just a chunk of dirt is pretty slim. If you were doing a lot of off road, it could be possible. How bad is it leaking? Are we talking oil all over the brake rotor and pads, a puddle of oil where it was parked overnight, or a little line of oil at full travel?
  8. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    There is a ktm dealer. I saw one YouTube where they used that tool in conjunction with the cycle gear plastic thing.

thing is, it was tons of gravel and holes every time I’d get off and on the farm, a mile and a half each time, and I just went too fast on it. Plus maybe too many San Francisco wheelies. It didn’t start leaking till this farms gravel driveway beat it to shit.

There’s no pitting. I’d say the leak is moderate, like if I go ride 100 miles down the hwy, the majority of the top half of the caliper has oil seeped on the outside of it. If I compress the forks a few times at standstill there’s noticeable weeping. But it’s not like....drops or puddles, no. I may have found a shop in Eugene that can help me Tuesday which is the best I’ve found yet.

I ride at a very very spirited pace I need my brakes and suspension over all else.
  9. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    D61AB119-8A5D-42A7-A2C6-6A8B00F659C4.jpeg E93CB60A-79C3-4834-B7CD-39EC681A2FFB.jpeg 0AD054E9-C041-4074-B123-568C64E7D121.jpeg Just went and washed the bike, ride to cycle gear got the seal mate tool and some on-sale hot weather boxers and a tee shirt. This is the fork clean then after ten miles in the city with a handful of moderate brake uses....
  10. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    I just spent the evening riding seadoo’s on lake of the woods and staying up all night with hippies singing and indulging until 5 am.

I am feeling confident that I’ve managed to “repair” my leaky fork seal with the cyclegear tool and a little more precision. I took it out for a couple jaunts in the city with tons of overuse on the forks and it isn’t leaking. Soon I will continue northward through the woods, finally, and if the fork weeps I know there’s a couple spots that can help me now (in Eugene and Portland)

Attached Files:

11. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have heard enough of my thoughts probably.... But I always run a bleeder in top of the forks to minimize pressure build up also.
    Oznay and Howboudanancypelosi like this.
  12. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Not tired of hearing anyone’s thoughts here
  13. Alanpb

Alanpb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love ride reports like this! Makes me want to hit the road again. I'm actually thinking of doing it full time soon but the virus is putting a damper on the whole thought process. We will see! Good luck on your trip. Enjoy life as much as you possibly can! On a motorcycle is one of the best ways to do it.
    Howboudanancypelosi likes this.
  14. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    This whole thing is beyond words. I thought my trip MIGHT take 30 days and now I’m a vagabond. Been out like 32 days and still thousands of miles from home.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  15. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    I’m goin by Scott graber’s home in Ohio.
  16. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Beginning to day dream about just not ending. Going back to Chattanooga getting everything selling everything and continuing on as long as possible.

it’s good to have dreams.
    Themastermike, Jamie Z and Josh_182 like this.
  17. Howboudanancypelosi

Oddometer:
    Finally coming to terms with parting ways with my good friends here in the Rogue valley. Chillin out today, preparing and packing and planning (minimal planning).

I think I’m going to try to set myself up for an epic ride. Probably 400 miles, 10 hours. Head northeast through bend to Sisters, ride 242 out of sisters (was told I had to by a fellow deals gapper), go all the way across towards the coast and set up camp in Siuslaw National Forest, finally.

Gonna replenish my depleted coffee and oatmeal reserves, which is pretty much all I’ve had for bfast in the woods. Anyone know of other breakfast options that are nearly as packable and easy to make?
  18. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    242 west from Sisters is a memorable ride--enjoy!!!
    Howboudanancypelosi likes this.