My 1090 Adventure R Experience

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by AZ Desert Dog, May 17, 2019.

1. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    I wanted to share what I learn about the 1090R from purchase to......well what ever happens in the future. I am a YouTube vlogger so some will be videos and some I will explain in written posts and pictures. Here the deal. I have been riding for 43 years. All kinds of bikes. The constant has been dirt bikes and dual sport. In 2008 I started riding these behemoth Adventure Bikes and loved them from the start. Owning Japanese and premium brand Euro bikes I have a decent perspective on the what is offered. I still ride a dirt bike and enjoy desert blasts and single track. I am a minimalist. I don't care about unnecessary electronics, wind protection, vibration or cup holders. That is what directed me to the 1090R in the KTM line up. High horsepower is not a consideration, however, torque is. I learned that from the Tiger 800 XCx I owned. Nice bike but gutless when you are riding in gnarly stuff. The price point is great and I bought a 2018 hold-over for less than what I would pay for a used bike in my local market. Hopefully this will help some folks looking to buy one or provide some porcelain throne reading/watching for the 1090R fan boy. Post questions and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for checking out this post. Ride safe.
    Trackownus Maximus likes this.
  2. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    This is the first day pick up at the dealership. Not much here but I wanted to document the initial ride. I can't stress enough that buying a bike as a hold over will save you money and headaches. Yeah the dude in Peoria with last years biek has the right tires and a set of luggage you can "live with" it doesn't have a warranty and the dealership hasn't run it out of oil twice in the last year (been there).
  3. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    I have a test loop to do reviews and shake down new additions to any bike. It's really a dual sport loop. A mellow dirt and pavement mix you would do on a Sunday or even two up. I wanted to check the bike out on how it would do on roads you can ride on nearly any ADV bike.
    JB650 and Vacillator like this.
  4. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    The next thing I wanted to check out was how it would do off road on some desert two track. I camp in this area and it is fun stuff on a WR450 nothing technical. However, on a big ADV bike it will keep your attention. Before I head out on a trip I want to get used to how the bike handles off road. Also to see what the bike needs for accessories. One of the issues I had with the other ADV bikes the point where you use common sense and turn around and it cuts the trip short due to the bikes short comings. My hopes for the 1090 is that will only be cut short by my ability and not the bikes. Here is my experience.
  5. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Nasty case of narcolepsy ya got there! :eek7:lol3

OP, just got back from New Mexico riding my 1090, looks like pretty similar terrain. Get a little nervous with the bike in the really loose stuff, but otherwise I enjoy her.
  7. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    WAKE THE HELL UP!!!!!:p3rry Your drooling on my new GoodWill couch, it smell like a dumpster fire in here and your snoring is scaring the dog.:jack
    kojack06 likes this.
  8. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    There a lot of loose rocks/sand in this area. A little drop in pressure increases the contact patch and traction. The it's fun to ride the sand.
  9. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    Time to change the rear tire. I liked the stock TKC 80 it did really well off road and did a great job on pavement. Unfortunately, it only lasted 1985 miles. I had three trips tot the dealer 40 miles away and a trip to Vegas. The rest was riding trails right out of my backyard. I would not change if it were not for the wear.

Last weekend I put on a Motoz Tractionator Adventure.What a chore. Stiff sidewall and low profile make it a difficult carcass to spoon on. (I'm sure some uber tire aficionado will tell me it's easy to put on Pffft :dizave). Anyway so far o good just on some dirt roads in the neighborhood. Heading to Utah next week. We'll see how it performs. I have seen a fair amount of reviews that claim 6000 miles. It will be loaded with my ax handle wide butt :kat and about 40 pounds of gear.
  10. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent +ll+

Oddometer:
    I put just less than 10,000 km (18 day trip to Baja) on a new '18 that I bought end of last year on a sale just like you did. I managed to get 8,500 km out of the TKC80 before its behavior on the highway was unacceptable. Also went with a MotoZ Tractinator, but put on a Desert HT on the back and an Adventure on the front. Front is squirmy on the highway, back is noisy, but they sure hook up on dirt and gravel.
    As far as farkles go, skid plate, larger foot pegs, HDB hand guards, and off-road dongle. After that it's all bling.
    Give us lots of pictures and vids so we can live vicariously through your exploits. Reviews on accessories are always appreciated too.
    AZ Desert Dog likes this.
  11. Jimbuck

Jimbuck n00b

Oddometer:
    My 1090 2017 has issues,accelerates on it self when you engage the gear ..what could be the issue.
  12. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    I think my next rear will be the Desert HT. I looked at it but didn't have enough info to go with it. I like the TKC front I might stick with that unless I see a better alternative. I should be posting info I get from the trips I take. As far as what worked and what didn't.
  13. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    Oh man. I am new to this KTM thing. I have had a few adventure bikes but have never had that issue. You my want to try searching this forum or starting a thread. These guys are pretty informative. Good luck. I hope you get it figured out.
  14. Intimo

Intimo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put on the Motoz Tractionator front and back - feels a bit rough in the rear and squirrelly on the font compared to the TK80's (With a total of 3K miles on the rear TK80 on dirt/highway) I'll see how these tires go for the summer and maybe put together a combo.

Motoz line up review:

Tractionator review:
  15. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    TKC80s feel like street tires on the street because they basically are.

I have MotoZ RallZ (only barely more aggressive than the Adventures, and a little less aggressive than the Desert H/T) front and rear on my and have been happy with both so far. Hooks up way better than the TKC, lasts way longer. The front settled down on the highway after about 1,000 miles. Rear is starting to get noisy, but it's a knobby - they all do. These will probably be my 'standard' tire for this bike - not great on the road, but good enough to still have fun and makes it a blast in the dirt.

I'm going with MotoZ GPSs for a big trip this summer - not much off road, and what there is won't be challenging, so I need all the mileage I can get.
    AZ Desert Dog and Intimo like this.
  16. AZ Desert Dog

Oddometer:
    UPDATE 5-31-19: Stopped by dealer and had the code checked. It was still in the system. Apparently it was a voltage code on the starter relay. The GENERAL FAILURE code title relates to the electrical system. Maybe they could rephrase the title.:hmmmmm They cleared it and tried 6 times to get it to come back. They thought I might have inadvertently hit the starter button. OK maybe, I was riding off road in rocky and tight turns. :muutt Hopefully these codes will settle down after a while like my other bikes. Computers :dirtdog

So this happened. It happened about 35 miles into the White Rim Train in Canyonlands NP. Had some pucker factor since it was 20 or 30 miles just to pavement. Amazing I got a cell signal (there is no way I should have had one). Left massage at dealership service dept to help identify what it could be. Will ECU melt down? Should I shut bike off? Can I clear this thing? Where is the nearest KTM dealer to Moab, UT? I asked to call back and leave a voicemail since I was heading for civilization and would get it when I got to Moab. No response even four days later. I got it to clear with a former KTM dealer in Moab that was very helpful. This is the second, although different code, that has popped up at a bad time. On my way to Vegas a couple months ago I got an engine light the dealer said it was a "Structural Code" WTF is that? Try having this blinking in you face when you have a 30 mile walk out. Frustrating. At least I got it out and was able to get it cleared. Hope to get to have it scanned this week.
    20190525_095457.jpg 20190525_095504.jpg 20190525_095506.jpg
  17. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like a bad purchase so far.
  18. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious, was the bike still running or did it stop and you got towed?
  19. Intimo

Intimo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another 1090R owners General failure info ->

@kokos79 wrote:
  20. Furka66

Furka66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had this 'General failure' also, on my 1090 Adv. Not sure why, but taking off and on the ignition, it was disappeared and never returned.