MY 1290 LC8 RallyAdventure build

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by RibRoy, Oct 31, 2016.

1. RibRoy

RibRoy RibRoy

Oddometer:
    Finally got the RR fairing from PF and started to cut and grind today. Plan is to fit the RR fairing, build a lightweigth nav tower, and fit a modified/tuned engine durung the winter. (The bike is a 03ADV) Last winter I mounted SE front and swing. Also fitted a rear fender from a 690. Plan was also to build a "analog" 1190 engine, But that seems to be to much hazzle. I have a 08 SE engine with only 14000km, so I sent it to a very skilled engine tuner/builder to see what he can do with it.

Why build a bike like this? I think the "old" 450 RR is the prettiest bike KTM have made, but even if you put a 690 engine in it or build a replika of a 690 it only got one cylinder and is no where near the midrange torque of a LC8.
    I bought a SE 4 years ago, and think its a great bike. However its not that nice to ride tarmac transfer, and I often ran out of gas before i got to the outback. I think it look ugly with a safaritank, and it gets almost as heavy in front as the ADV. Also missed a place to put my nav-pad, Garmin, RB etc. Last year I also bought this ADV. Altough I thought I would use the SE most of the time this season, I ended up with some 10000km on the ADV and only some 3-4000 on the SE. So my goal is to build a bike as fun/agile as the SE, the looks of a 450/690 Rally, and the range/"comfort of a ADV. Time will show...

Attached Files:

2. woodchuckexc

woodchuckexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you mounted a SE fork and Swing arm to an ADV? How did it work out? I like the sound of that.
  3. RibRoy

RibRoy RibRoy

Oddometer:
    The only difference to the swing is the chainguard, The SE front has only one brakedisc, smaller brakepump and a narrower rim. Makes it a little bit lighter and also its better with a narrower rim in the gravel
  4. woodchuckexc

Oddometer:
    Do you now have the same suspension travel as a SE?
  5. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Why
  6. woodchuckexc

Oddometer:
    If he is getting SE suspension travel out of his ADV I like the sound of that. I ride my 950 very aggressively off road and can use all the suspension I can get. Already murdered one shock body, bent several shock mounting bolts etc.
  7. RibRoy

RibRoy RibRoy

Oddometer:
    Think the suspension on the SE and ADV S/R is much the same. The OEM rear SE shock is no good, so I replaced it with a Touratech/Tractive shock.
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic so far...I NEED close up pics of those mirrors and how they're mounted. I have a pair of CRG arrow shaped mirrors that I'm dying to use on my 950 SE and I'm desperate to figure out how to mount them the same exact way you have yours, I just can't figure out what you've built or bought as mounts...please? Thanks
  9. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also building a LC8 rally bike out a 950.
    RibRoy likes this.
  10. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put everything on the scale with my wanna rally bike.

Using a Rad build front wheel with a single braking rotor was 9.5 pounds lighter when you factor in the caliper and the bolts you remove. All unsprung weight.
    RibRoy likes this.
  11. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you started with the S version of that adventure and put it on a diet it might be easier to get to your goal. single side exhaust and a lipo battery may save you as much weight as any of the other complicated cuts your making. IMHO maybe your heading there next? Can you say how much weight your cutting off with your replacement of fairing and related hardware?
  12. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    you'd do the same to an SE,,, what you need is a properly tuned and set-up suspension so your not bottoming the thing all over the place, thats whats trashing the body and bolts.

or contact poskitt racing and order his 320mm built suspension tuned for you. and dont forget that step ladder.:D
  13. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    diggin the build, i like the looks of the fairing on the bike but its sits too high me thinks.
  14. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    that 690 rear end looks pretty trick. i like what you got going on so far, very nice work.

laramie :beer
  15. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ + 100

Keep going Buddy! I like where you're going... an' clean up that workspace :)
    RibRoy likes this.
  16. RibRoy

RibRoy RibRoy

Oddometer:
    You have any pictures/more details Parx400?
  17. freco

freco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love it. Good job.
    This is my dreambike (maybe with less cc). I 'd love to make my 990s like yours.
    Keeping an eye on you, closely.
    Give us more details whenever you can.

Does PF fairing need many modifications to fit?
  18. Trond_70

Trond_70 n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!

very skilled engine tuner/builder ??
    Also known to build top performance 690 engines?
  19. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where did you get the fairing?
  20. freco

freco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect fairings here in Greece.
    Corsica101 and balush like this.