My 1929 Ford Model A Closed Cab Pickup Project

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by crazydrummerdude, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Barkmagnet

Barkmagnet Long timer

Oddometer:
    KIMG0204.jpg
    I think this is a 26.
    My old boss who taught me body work 36 years ago built it.
    I haven't seen him in almost 30 years.
    His health is failing now. But back in the day he could make or fabricate almost anything.
    ca.gearhead likes this.
  2. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Edit: Nathan! :wave
  3. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome.

what parts are you doing in california and what parts in missouri? seems logistically challenging. :D
  4. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
  5. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Sorry for not noticing your comments, friends.

Thank you, sirs!

Very nice! Almost... too nice. Haha.
    Howdy Roy! You already probably see my "live" updates on facebook.

Indeed, it is challenging. I bring back/forth the little bits that I can.. like the carb/distributor/water pump/oil pump/etc. The big things have to stay in Missouri, but I'm still having parts shipped there all the time. I have allllmost everything I need/want to "complete" this project.

Been back in town for Thanksgiving and working on the truck. If I follow my self-imposted schedule, I could have this running/driving by the end of the year. Odds of following the schedule? 50/50.. especially since the weather might not hold out for my big sand-blasting/painting ideas.

Here she was a week ago:

[​IMG]

Just rebuilt the water pump last night:

[​IMG]

Accomplished a lot of other work today but no real pictures to show just yet.
  6. AZLarry

AZLarry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You, Sir, have skills.
    Great thread and thanks for bringing us long.
  7. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    Nathan, the largest part of that assembly that that shiny new looking brass part is in, is that the same one?
    If so, how did you get it to look so awesome?
    In fact spill it in detail. Did you remake many parts or just resurface , or just clean?

8. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    the brass piece it what tightens up the water pump seal, I bet it's new, you simply take a flat screwdriver and pry up the little notches . and the impeller is new, heck it might be a totally new piece.

looks like a new pump is 85 bux, and a kit is 45ish,
  9. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    Mostly what he said:

Yeah, with something like this, it's hard to justify saving much of it. It's practically all rotating pieces, all of which had significant wear. Since I'm tearing this truck apart nut-and-bolt, it doesn't make sense to keep warn out shafts or bearings. So, those are new. The casting is original, though. So, some rebuild kits end up replacing most of the original part.. as shown below.

Also, yes, my brass nut (haha) was severely damaged due to someone tightening/loosening it the way you're describing. Tools exist to tighten things like that, and if you time it right, you can even get the tool free with the rebuild kit.

Anyways, I rebuilt the 87 year young oil pump with new bushings, gears, gaskets, and fasteners.

[​IMG]

..and the distributor:

[​IMG]
    zookster, FR700, villageidiot and 2 others like this.
  10. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    Nice! I had no idea parts were so inexpensive, at least some, anyway.
    The casting looks like it has rust all over it but looks smooth and painted after the rebuild. Was that just grime or was it rust? If rust, how was that done?
  11. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    Parts are cheap and plentiful for both original and reproduction.

For the most part, these things have some surface rust, but decades of grime have protected them.

I've had a few people comment in person that it's interesting how pitted my transmission case is.. but, that's just how sand castings look. It's rust free and not pitted. Like the oil pump or distributor body.
  12. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    OK, from the pictures, it looks perfectly smooth, I suppose paint does that.
    :lol3
  13. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    For both Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, I spend the vast majority of my time working on the truck. I see some family by the fact that I'm staying with them, but I've not seen any friends. Maybe I don't have friends? Who needs friends when you have a Model A, anyway!?

A month ago, I was here:

[​IMG]

I have my days laid out such that I could feasibly have the truck running/driving by the end of the year. Yes, I know that's a week away. But, I'm not going to sacrifice quality for a self-imposed schedule. This isn't a reality tv show. I'm just glad that I've come this far while living 2000 miles away from it. If it doesn't run in 2016, I'll be ok.

I've told myself that while I'm not interested in the cosmetics of the body, I want to at least clean up the drivetrain while I'm rebuilding it. Better to do it now while it's all taken apart. If the weather would hold out, I will finish sandblasting the frame since it's too big to fit in my cabinet. Wednesday would have been the absolute PERFECT day to do it, but I spent hours rebuilding every component of my Harbor Freight tank a dozen times. No wonder someone gave it to me. I think it's set up to work for one minute per every hour of fiddling with it.

[​IMG]

I'm painting driveline components in Por15 chassis paint. It says you can paint directly over rust, but that would be cheesy as hell. I'm painting engine components in Ford green or high-temp black where necessary.

Now that I've finally (hopefully) got the blaster tank dialed in, I'm going to also clean up the wheels. With clean wheels coming up, I bought some more motivation:

[​IMG]

Speaking of sandblasting, I've been hunched over my cabinet for several hours each day. Load parts, blast them, clean them, paint them, repeat. It would be a little more bearable if I could see through more than 1 square inch of the corner of my cabinets window. I have to crane my neck over and turn off the shop lights to be able to see through the scratched window.

[​IMG]

Freeing up the original fuel shut off with heat and ultrasonic waves:

[​IMG]

I don't sandblast things that will see the inside of the engine or that act as bearing surfaces. I do a lot of wire wheeling and scraping on a lot of parts, including the oil pan. I've never changed the oil in biscuit form before:

[​IMG]

Also, I stated earlier that I would be using a head I've already cleaned up. Well, with the plan evolving (as explained below), and with the original head having cleaned up like this.. I'm keeping the trucks original head with the truck.

[​IMG]

Concurrently, I've decided that now is the time to rebuild another block I have kicking around the shop. I have no body/frame for it, and frankly I don't want one right now, but might as well build two engines at the same time. The top picture is from 2009 when I first started thinking about that blocks future and started scraping some dirt off. The bottom is from earlier this week. It's been bored .060 over, decked, seats ground (not hardened inserts, I'm just going to see how it goes), and new 1-piece guides installed. I'm planning on taking it to the babbitt guy next week. Yes, I can machine it for main bearing inserts, but I want to keep as much of it as original for as long as I can. It needs another bath.

[​IMG]

With two blocks in work, I had two flywheels faced. Before and after:

[​IMG]

..and another thing: I am going to personalize my pickup a little. It's not going to be a ratrod because I'm not going to unnecessarily chop it or throw on a tractor grill or anything obnoxious like that. But, I did pick up a vintage Ludwig bass drum pedal to serve as my gas pedal. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I think the "Speed King" would be kinda cool. And no, I didn't take a good pedal out of commission to do this.

[​IMG]

Speaking of personalizing, I have at least 3 horns in store for maximum toots; the original ah-ooga horn, a secret horn, and this bulb horn.

I can't find a "before" picture, but I got this as an extra freebie during a Craigslist deal probably 10 years ago. It is likely close to a hundred years old and was brown, crusty, dented to hell, kinked, bent, pinched, and split.. with a busted bulb. No wonder it was free.

I decided it was time this lives again so I recently took it to a local music store to have it straightened, rounded, and soldered back. Next day, he shows me this (sans bulb). Price? $20. Freaking nice. With a $10 ebay bulb, I'm back in action! It's much louder and deeper than I was expecting. Antique tooting to my hearts content for $30.

[​IMG]

That's a lot to digest for now, but the work continues..
  14. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, and I know for a fact you toot your own horn.

It's all looking great.
  15. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    It's sitting on the coffee table and I toot it at least twice a day. Nice and loud. I just wish I could make it last longer like an air horn.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  16. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

It's gets shorter as you get older.

...or so I've heard. :augie
  17. Rapid_Roy

Oddometer:
    Tooting is a euphemism, isn't it?
  18. nfranco

nfranco over macho grande?

Oddometer:
    Well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    Damn photobucket taking all my pictures hostage..

I'm pretty far along on the rebuild.. of the mechanical components. The cosmetics may never be touched. Last step is the rear end and I recently got some pristine axles.

I'll straighten this thread out when I'm not posting on my phone.
    Cycle61, vtwin, nfranco and 1 other person like this.
  20. BlueHeart

BlueHeart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Updates?