My 1929 Ford Model A Closed Cab Pickup Project

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by crazydrummerdude, Feb 20, 2016.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    yeah what he said.
    RedRocket and BlueHeart like this.
  2. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with those guys.
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make that one more!

The Ludwig gas pedal and the bulb horn are sweet!!

Are the first page and a half's photos gone forever? I hope not.
    Purcell69 likes this.
  4. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I promise, I will somehow remedy the picture issues here. The fact that I had several threads in several forums all linked to photobucket really made it a daunting task to repair. This project is still active, so I at least owe to it the handful of folks still interested.

Since I last updated this, I've bought at least 4 more motorcycles and rebuilt two of them, blown up a different one and am rebuilding it, bought another lathe and another mill, bought another Model A basket case, etc etc.

For my '29 CCPU, I'm so far beyond my last update that looking back on my last update seems foreign to me. A quick synopsis until I give it a proper write-up; I blasted and painted the whole frame. I re-riveted the front crossmember. I assembled and installed the engine, flywheel, transmission. I safety-wired what was necessary. I installed the front end, all rebuilt and new bearings and fasteners and bushings and brakes. I have all new cast iron brake drums. I installed the radiator and steering box.

I was about ready to install the rear end, but the axle bearing races were in bad shape but are integral to the castings, so I just did everything else in a complete rear end rebuild. I then ran out of time and had a local guy turn down the ends of the axle housings and press on new sleeves that will act as the new bearing races. It'll all go back together this coming holiday season.

I bought a complete interior and roof kit from Lebarron-Bonney and must have been one of their very last customers before they closed forever. I'll only use the seat for now, as the rest of the cab isn't nice enough to justify the upholstery.

I feel like I'm missing a few things, but when I review the pictures, the rest of the story will emerge.

I'm already building my other A, a '30 coupe. I already have an engine and transmission ready to go, that I rebuilt and had new babbitt poured. It'll stay 4-banger for the foreseeable future, but I also picked up a '41 Merc flathead v8.. that'll need a home, so I guess I'll need to get another coupe, since I think that's a good looking pair.
    vtwin, KeithinSC, Rapid_Roy and 5 others like this.
  6. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update!
    SteelJM1 and Purcell69 like this.
  7. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with Photobucket. I had to pay the ransom for my photos and they all came back. Sadly the ones I put on Image Shack when PB screwed the pooch are lost forever.
  8. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always keep a backup, at home, off site, anywhere so long as it's a duplicate.

9. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    Doesn't always work-twins tend to talk to each other.
  10. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Certainly it does, easier with negatives and chromes, but my own copies of every digital image I've wanted to keep are stored in duplicate in two different hard drive arrays, one stored in a fire proof Browning gun safe and brought out every few months for updated storage. I don't store essential files ever in a computer, too easy to lose in a crash.

Online storage sites exist for the benefit of the site owners, not the patrons.
    anotherguy likes this.