My 2013 F800GS got destroyed

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by B_C_Ries, Jan 29, 2020.

1. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just riding along following all the rules when a car ran a red light going at least 40 mph and almost killed me. I got 2 broken legs(one fracture was a compound), a fractured Pelvis and two fractured vertebrae, I'm lucky to be alive but I think I'll heal. I got good treatment and responders got there fast. However, my favorite Motorcycle is damaged beyond repair. My short list for a replacement is either another F800GS or the new 700 Yamaha. I really liked my F800GS.
    BygDaddee, Benduro and cgguy09 like this.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it out with "only" those injuries. RIP to your favorite bike :( but at least you're here to shop for the replacement! :)
    Benduro, B_C_Ries and cgguy09 like this.
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Glad you're healed enough to be sitting up and posting here! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Super bummer about the collateral damage to your human! But, I am super excited for you to go bike shopping. When I hit a deer on my F650GS, I realized it was the best thing was that the insurance bought the bike. They are not a picky buyer :jack
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  5. Roughrider1886

Roughrider1886 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats the spirit! Laying in intensive care when mere mortals would be thinking about throwing in the towel. You are a mam among men, already planning his next ride. SALUTE!
    B_C_Ries and zgfiredude like this.
  6. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!
    Glad you made it. What a positive attitude in spite of your injuries.
    Heal fast!! And good luck shopping for your next ride.
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  7. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Heal Well!

Oh, and please post up them x-ray pix! :)
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Lowest common denominator behind the wheel these days. You didn't deserve that. Tell us they got charged at least...
    Heal up mate.
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  9. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Terrible, unnecessary experience for you. As others have said, your attitude is commendable.

I have no personal experience with the Yamaha T7, but it doesn’t wow me on paper. Looking at other brands, the KTM 900 Adventure and Adventure R are more impressive to me. The F800 is still a great choice. BMW’s new F900X and XR look like a couple of great choices as well, if you are mostly on-road.

Get well soon. Hope it all goes better than expected. Your positive outlook should help immensely.
  10. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great attitude, keep focused on your physical recovery, strengthening and plan a replacement bike for future fun times. I'm with you on the bike selections... and that T7 sounds appealing, without all the electronic doilies they seem to attach to bikes these days.
    So many choices....so little time.....
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  11. 4RF RDS

4RF RDS Adventurer

Oddometer:

Atta boi! Happy you have such a great attitude. So sorry to hear about you getting whacked and totalling your bike. Real bummer. Happy you have such a great attitude though. Heal first, dream a little, then figure out what ride you’d like.
    Cheers
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  12. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Police report indicates the other driver was at fault. I got flown out in a helicopter .
  13. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    My F8000GS was perfect for me, I also have a DRZ 400S for difficult terrain and a R100/7 for long road trips. The F800GS was my do everything well enough bike. I just can't get used to the gas tank set up on the KTM.
  14. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Accident was December 17, the worst part of the pain is already over.
    Kidder likes this.
  15. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the interest of honesty, I've been out of the ICU for almost a month and out of the Hospital for almost 3 weeks. I was struggling a lot to maintain a positive attitude while in ICU and it was very difficult, certain subjects would drag me towards a black hole of depression so I avoided thinking about them, I believe that healing is linked very closely with attitude so I made my attitude better.
    MacNoob, Kidder, Jimbobvfr and 3 others like this.
  16. 4RF RDS

4RF RDS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yikes, flown out... I am a retired Paramedic 35 years on the job and a former flight medic as well. I hope that you felt you were well treated that they and took great care of you. Nothing worse than being fucked up and feeling what the??

I have far too many memories of seriously messed up bikers who we saved yet still I ride. Hope insurance paid for it all and you are not hurting with the costs. My god flight Paramedicine is bloody expensive, like $2500 + and hour minimum.

Get well and find yourself a ride. :clap Cheers :photog
    lrgart likes this.
  17. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Close call . . . you made it. Take your time and rest easy. Whew!
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  18. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    They flew me 100 miles, the bill is $78,000, I shit a brick when I saw it. I have medical insurance and the driver that hit me has insurance and is at fault. I had a compound fracture and as a result lost a lot of blood, nobody seems to worry about expenses at the accident scene, (myself included, I thought I was dead as I had been launched into the air and was conscious and aware when I was in the air and spinning around so I thought I was leaving the Earth)
    budsboy, Benduro and 4RF RDS like this.
  19. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:

Hey wait a minute this sounds familiar!
    I own:
    2010 BMW F800GS
    2017 Honda CRF250 Rally
    1983 BMW R80 - no longer a RT

Get well soon!!!!
    B_C_Ries likes this.
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting a second chance at life when there was doubt can be very invigorating. In my case it was a botched day surgery that went from bad to worse to holy shit! This was quite some number of years back, maybe 15, and the lesson has waned over time. But I will say that one of my top priorities was to get back on my wonderful old XL600 and take on some trails, a ride I remember clearly to this day.
    Get well and plan some fun things to do to keep you focused on the future, not the past.
    PS: I'll never sell my old, but sorted DRZ, lets me play at being a Hooligan....off-road.
    Tigershark48 and B_C_Ries like this.