My 71 R75/5 Restoration

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by nevada72, Apr 23, 2019.

1. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    It's attached, but doesn't connect to the frame. It's doing nothing as is.
  2. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Then you can tell people you dial it in according to atmospheric and wind load conditions. Mostly by feel.
    beemeruss and nevada72 like this.
  3. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Well it's 99% done. I need to work clean up the horn and install that, and paint the engine badges. That's about it. Tomorrow I'll take it out for it's break in ride.

99%.jpg
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    :beer
    korinthias and nevada72 like this.
  5. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    My favorite color!
    nevada72 likes this.
  6. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Great job, looks fantastic !!
    nevada72 likes this.
  7. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Were the badges painted in those years?
  8. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Well unfortunately the bike won't start. Frustrating as a week ago it started great. It has all electrics like light, blinkers, warning lights, etc. but it's not getting spark. I pulled the headlight to check the wiring and everything seems fine. Before I start tearing too far into it, I'm wondering if leaving the key on for too long while not running can cause issues? The other day when I was working on the blinkers I forgot to turn off the ignition switch. It stayed on for maybe 45 minutes. I know that on my vintage Hondas, if I do that it can burn out the rectifier. Is that a thing on these bikes?

If not, any clues where to start? I know how to trace no spark typically. Although I will say my head isn't in the game as far as this issue goes right now as I'm so pissed it's just not working like it did up on the lift. I'm trying to work my way backwards on the assembly process and I wonder if something went wrong under the front motor cover. I did have the ground disconnected when I installed it, so that shouldn't have done anything.

I don't want to take the tank off to get at the coils and VR, but I suspect I will have to.

Not happy........grrrrrrr

Mine are the ceramic (or whatever) variety. Not painted.
  9. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    You can drain the battery with the key on but it would take a while and should charge up. I assume it's cranking? No spark could be a coil, they are in series. Or a bad connection. My tank comes off pretty easily. Did you check both plugs?
    nevada72 likes this.
  10. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    Emblems are cloisonné enamelled. Basically a relief casting with glass melted into areas separated by metal strips to create the badge. /5 was the last (I believe) with such an emblem…

Sorry to hear about the teething problems – I’m sure something obvious will jump out at you!

The emblem should have a rubber gasket behind to cushion it somewhat, and you have to be very careful not to overtighten the screws, or you could easily crack the enamel!

IMG_0848.jpeg IMG_0849.jpeg IMG_0850.jpeg IMG_0852.jpeg
    nevada72 likes this.
  11. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job... fantastic looking bike man!
    nevada72 likes this.
  12. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol, this is probably why things take me so long - I need the right color and gauge or it bothers me to no end...I'm far too anal to start getting creative with wiring, JB weld, etc...
    nevada72 likes this.
  13. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Break Down Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    My R75/5 was running fine with the timing cover off. Then when put it back on ( removed the ground and such ) the bike wouldn’t start. No spark. Turns out the rubber tube that holds the points wire to the condenser got loose and my points wire got pinched between the case and the timing cover.
    Hope it’s something silly like that, all shined up and nowhere to go sucks !
    ~T

Ps bike looks great !
    nevada72 likes this.
  14. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done that. Pinched the points wire with the cover. It takes a certain finesse to get the cover on and the rubber in place. It's a learned sort a thing.

Happened to me on the road not far from home. Wasn't a fault when starting the bike but apparently got grounded as the insulation wore thru. I was broke down in front of some red neck hippie residence that took great interest in my despair. Tore off cover, stripped wire ends and twisted together, put cover in side bag and got out a there.

I'm sorta a red neck hippie type myself but I didn't know that crew so wasn't comfortable.
    nevada72 likes this.
  15. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Enamel! That's what I meant. And yes, there are rubber gaskets behind. They aren't perfect but perfectly usable. In the pics a lot of people are saying the bike looks like new. In person it still looks good, but I intentionally did things so that the bike looked more cared for than new. The badges fall in line with that.

You gentlemen win the prize! (Beer if/when we meet) I reasoned that whatever it was, I did it. So I worked my way backwards. Started on the headlight shell - nada. Took the timing cover off and sure enough - the points wire was still pressed tight into the raised lip that surrounds the points. I unstuck it, tried the starter, and spark!

So I took the points apart, got some shrink tube on the damaged insulation (wire was fine) and tried to put it all back together. I'm here to tell you that I think I'm the only guy on the planet that can strip a screw removing it! I could not get that bottom points screw back in to save my life. Somehow I buggered up the threads on the timing case - how, I have no idea. So in my frustrated state I managed to find the 4mm/.75 tap and cleaned that up. By this point the neighbors must think I'm having a full on Tourettes fit because I'm just streaming profanity.

So I get it all back together, it's still a nice day weather-wise, and I figure I'm still getting that ride in. I knew I shouldn't in the state I was in but I forced it. And it went pretty well. For 30 miles. Unfortunately the loop was 40 miles. My ride ended with some loud backfires and a silent coast to the side of the road. I called Ms72 who picked me up in the truck and eventually brought the bike home on her shield. There was a bunch of other stuff that happened like impaling myself with a screw driver, having the bike fall on me when I put it on the center stand at the side of the road, and spraying myself with gas filling the truck, all of which put the cherry on top of my shit Sundae. Ms72 bought a lottery ticket because she figured I used up all the bad luck.

I put the bike on the lift pretty much knowing what I would find. I took the timing cover off (again) and sure enough, the advance unit came off with it. I had forgotten to fully tighten that nut the last time in. By this time Ms72 had made me a Margarita to ring in Cinco De Mayo so I was feeling a lot better about the whole day. I drained the break in oil, swapped in a new oil filter, added oil, put it all together and she started right up. Just like I knew she would. All pilot error on this, which I knew.

So all's well that ends well. The bike is back to running beautifully. I did get in a very nice ride. The bike is a pleasure. I forgot how precise it is through the corners. Just think and it goes there. With that big flywheel it doesn't accelerate that quickly, but it pulls hard. And even though the bike only has 4 speeds, I didn't ever feel the need for more. I spent most of the time in 3rd gear on the country roads and the bike seemed to love it. Everything about the bike feels strange compared to my other bikes. But it's a strange I like.
    headtube, Arktasian, scrapper and 6 others like this.
  16. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    I guess ‘all’s well that ends well’ is the motto here. We all get days like that, but at least it ended on a positive note. I had a day recently where I’d lined up a number of tasks and went round and effed up each of them in turn. Kinda wished by the end of the day, I hadn’t bothered to get out of bed in the morning…

The big flywheel motors are a different experience, but a good different, not a bad one! Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from the bike from here on in. You’ve definitely earned it!
    nevada72 likes this.
  17. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Bit of an off the wall question but - Anyone know of a rivet punch to drive in the "slotted nail" for the steering lock? I'm guessing there is a punch available that fits that round head so as not to flatten it out when driving it in. Any help would be appreciated.

On the bike - Been riding it here and there. I have a clutch master leak that I have the seal ordered for and a gas cap leak - part arrived. Pretty easy stuff - maybe an hour of work. Then the steering lock cover and that really should be it.

Artsy fartsy shot -
    red BMW.jpg
  18. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Headlight rim is not seated properly. Hope you have it wired at the bottom.
    nevada72 likes this.
  19. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will this work?https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mushroom-D...-/152719577084?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
    nevada72 likes this.
  20. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    I do have it safety wired but that's kind of the way it's always been. The shell was a little misshapen, I think from the previous owner running it for years under a fairing with no trim ring or headlight. I'll take a closer look but it snapped on their pretty solidly.

That looks perfect. I'll see if I can find one shipping domestically.