My 950 Refresh or Mission Creep...

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by sakurama, May 5, 2009.

1. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    So, should be all together and 100% in another couple days then?

Honestly, this would have me in a straightjacket, begging for a lobotomy.
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  2. bdking

bdking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motor is rebuilt, massaging the AWD. There’ll be a post in the next couple of days.
  3. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I have got to the end of page 3 of this.
    How I found it, I dont rightly remember, maybe from the front page of ADV?
    anyway, for a while the KTM950 was in the running, well, for about 3 days. I really wanted an 1150GS and so I got an 1150GS, just had to wait a bit longer.
    It has sparked a little interest in me getting a 950 and doing an overhaul.
    and the other thing - I am currently listening to KEXP Seattle!

will keep reading, I think there is a lot more coming!
  4. micky1

micky1 MANCC

Oddometer:
    1190 injected motor time!
  5. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Wow!
  6. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
  7. bdking

bdking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noted. OK, here's an update.

Well, taking the motor apart was easy enough. As I showed before the leak down culprit was the front compression ring. The front head was sootier.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The heads went to Baisley Hi-Performance for a rebuild. They did excellent work (and rebuilt heads for Gregor's BMW rally bike simultaneously.)

It felt great to get those heads back. Looking in the cylinders, though, I found scratches deep enough to catch a fingernail on in each jug. Since it was all apart anyway I sent the cylinders to US Chrome for new Nikasil. Five weeks later I had the parts back & could start re-assembly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note the orange bracket held on by the cylinder head nut above. It becomes a major character soon.

[​IMG]

Shazam! The motor together (hopefully correctly) and ready to bolt in. Motor installation was pretty straightforward until I tried to fit the AWD sprocket shaft. One set of bearings is mounted to the frame and the other is installed in that orange bracket hanging from the head nut. When Chris built the bike the engine was installed and the frame-side bearing holder was welded to the frame aligned with the shaft. After installing the engine I noticed the bearings were no longer aligned. The bracket's hole isn't snug on the head stud so there's some variance in where it can be mounted. With the AWD chain housing installed there's no way to get a wrench on the head nut so there's no tweaking the bracket location until it aligns.

[​IMG]
    A couple of days of loosening engine mounts & prying things around ended up being fruitless. In the end I pulled the engine again and moved the bracket a bit. There wasn't a good way to measure & index the movement so it took two tries, but now the bearings are aligned pretty well and the shaft spins smoothly.

[​IMG]

So now the motor is in, most of the wiring is installed, and there's coolant in the motor. The AWD chain cover won't fit in there if the swingarm is installed so I'm holding off on that. Next I'll get it back up on the main stand and address the AWD. The first issue to address is modifying the chain guide to protect that screw that was ground down before. I also need to understand why the chain was rubbing on the cover and make some changes there. If the chain is enclosed & want to be sure its not shredding aluminum & steel in there again.

I need to balance the throttlebodies and am considering switching from Rottweiler to Motohooligans air filter. Both are a real tight fit with the AWD system so I just need to see which fits best.

This rebuild has taken long enough that it really doesn't feel like a motorcycle at the moment. I have momentum now, though, and need to have it ironed out for a good shakedown ride or two in the spring. In June we have buddies coming out for another big adventure ride, this time Eastern Oregon.

More soon.
    micky1, Bli55, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
  9. bdking

bdking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the problem is clearance within the frame with the chain run in there. The Rottweiler fits but it is really tight to get the filter snapped on. I bought a Motohooligans box since it doesn't require lateral movement to remove the filter, but the baseplate is a bit broad. I think the key will be grinding a bit of the baseplate away to increase clearance.

Eventually I'll rework the whole chain run to move it outside the frame rail. That will make the air filter work better and allow room to optimize the coolant hoses, which are a real knot now. The Aussie sister bike has some clever solutions that address some of the problems I'm having. This would require making new tanks, so I'm putting it off until I have the gumption to fabricate some out of carbon fiber (or until Gregor levels up his aluminum fabrication skills and has nothing else going on- Ha!) Eventually I'd like to have a setup more like a current rally bike- 2 front tanks that are narrower and extend up along the tower and a rear subframe tank (either custom or modified from a 690 or rally tank.)

At this point I just want to get it back on the trail asap though.
    Shaggie likes this.
  10. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    If you need the baseplate modded, make a pattern and send it into Chris at Rottweiler. Call him and see what he can do. On a good day he will totally help out. On a bad day his booming business is stretching him apart at that moment.
  11. bdking

bdking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All things equal I'd prefer the Motohooligans to the Rottweiler. My Dyno tuner has seen more trouble with dust getting past the Rottweiler on race bikes he works on, I really don't want to do another rebuild on this motor.
    veetwo _tls likes this.
  12. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Aussie sister bike ??

Can you tell more ?
  13. bdking

bdking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The AWD conversion for this bike was a trial run & tooling exercise for a build in Australia. Chris Cosentino was hired to set up the frame & parts for the Aussie bike and since this bike was in his shop it became the mule.

I don't know the status of the Aussie bike, but I've seen some of the changes that Joe (who is building the Aussie bike) is making. Once the bike is back on the road I'll start working to integrate some of his improvements.
    micky1, outbacktm and Shaggie like this.
  14. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Will keep looking to see it.
    outbacktm likes this.
  15. Syscrush

Syscrush Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this thread and keep coming back to it year after year to just gawk at photos, get inspiration, and daydream of having a world-famous radical bike someday.

I swear that somewhere in here, sakurama gave some really helpful advice on taking good shop photos, but my searching & skimming skills have been failing me off and on for a very long time. Is there any chance that someone here has bookmarked that part of the (now epically long) discussion - or better at seeking & finding stuff so we can get a direct link to that part of this treasure trove of a thread?