My Africa Twin keeps having the front tire go flat.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DaCaton, Sep 16, 2019.

1. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    So, I have put 4500 miles on my Africa Twin AS DCT since getting it in June, and with the stock tires, the front tire has gotten 3 flats. I don’t do any gnarly trails, or anything. Most is unimproved roads, and since this is my only form of transportation, a lot of those miles have been on the street. I have some new Anakee adventures getting thrown on today, hoping that will fix the problem.

But it’s really annoying having to replace the front inner tube every 1000 miles.

I do wheelie it every now and again, but I don’t set it down hard. I don’t have any tools or a garage, so I’ve been having to pay the dealer $70 every time.

I check the tire pressure weekly, and do a visual inspection every day I ride.

I got stranded on the interstate 50 miles from home this past Saturday, and luckily was to get insurance to pay for the tow.

What am I doing wrong? These aren’t pinch flats, says the dealer. He told me I ride too hard on the dirt, and these bikes weren’t made for off road, but I don’t believe him, haha.

Any thoughts?
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    My guess is that there was something in your front tire (metal, glass, etc..) that would eventually wear through your tube. Front tire flats are not common for the type of use you described. Hopefully Changing your tire resolves the issue.
    gen1fizzy, DaCaton and Sloowpoke like this.
  3. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have to provide a little more information to get help.

If the dealer said they're not pinch flats, what are they? What's the tube damage and where?

Where all three tubes damaged in the exact same way?

Nails, cuts, tears, etc.
  4. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

They were in different spots, with a minor hole through the tire puncturing the tube. They were all in the center of the tire, but at different spots.

The holes were all so small it was difficult for me to see the damage. I could pump the tire to recommended PSI and it would hold for about 10minutes before having to be re-filled.
  5. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the tyre and change the tube. Doesn't need much more thought than that.
    Always check inside if tyre post flat. Set to repeat same thing otherwise.
  6. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    its not the wheel its just bad luck,
  7. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    It don't take a lot of tools to fix a flat. Just sayin.

Its good to have a fix kit with, if you are ever far from service . . . even if you do have AAA or insurance.

8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either you are real unlucky or there Is something stuck in stock tire that is sticking your tube.What ever caused the 1st flat is most likely sticking out of inside of the tire a little.I am guessing after you put on new tire your problem will be solved.
    gen1fizzy, DCTFAN and Amphib like this.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the cannonball riders had the same problem so finally sat down m did a complete check n spoke stub grind.
    maybe time to do the same , until you find the problem.
  10. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, so if I understand, the holes are on the OUTSIDE circumference of the tube, always in the middle, with a least one hole through the tire too.

I would guess as suggested above there's either something inside the tire causing problems that wasn't removed during the earlier flats. Maybe.

Or you've had bad luck riding in an area that has sharp pointy things laying around.

Let us know what you find.
  11. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a motocross bike that had a similar problem after I installed a new tire. Three flats in three races. I finally ditched the tire, which still looked relatively new. I never could figure out what was cutting my heavy duty tubes. I ran my hand inside the tire, countless times.

Installed another tire and never had another problem.
    gen1fizzy likes this.
  12. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    "so I’ve been having to pay the dealer $70 every time."

... at least they're glad to see you, now and then :)
  13. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For $70.00 you can buy all the tools you will need and a new tube. And still have enough money left over for beers.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  14. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Some of us including me refuse to carry tire tools and spare tubes for daily rides.
    The OP may feel the same.
    What I end up doing is tow the bike home, if possible,
    rather than to the dealer. Keeps my wallet thick and fat. :)
    davidji likes this.
  15. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    The new tire should help because if the punctures are through the tire as you say then it's a tire problem not a tube problem. In the future, run a rag along the inside of the tire to try to snag anything that might be in there before installing the new tube. But if you're paying the dealer for each tube replacement, I'd be liable to question their thoroughness.
    yokesman likes this.
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The next time you have the tire off have the wrench hand you the tire , put your fingers inside the tire and slowly drag your fingers along the inside of the tire. If you feel anything , look at the area carefully. Thorns can poke through a tire the break off where there's nothing to find on the outside and yet leave a point on the inside of the tire.
    If the hole is on the outer part of the tube , something is sticking through the tire .
    If the hole in the tube is next to the wheel , a spoke is poking the hole through the tube.
    If there's any thing loose in the tire that has caused multiple punctures , don't let that wrench near your bike again.
    And from someone who's changed m-c tires since I was 14 , learn to do it properly yourself. It's not fun , but , it's a skill you should develop.
  17. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buddy of mine had the same issue with his 2017 AT - three flats on the front in less than 2k miles.

We checked that tire over and over and still would fix the flat, go riding, then slowly go flat again.

After the 3rd flat I told him "I know you hate to throw away what looks like a perfectly good tire but if that was my bike I'd say enough is enough".

He replaced the tire and guess what?
    No more flats.
    mickd likes this.