My Barn Twins

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by fxray, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I like Beezers and there is a long time competition rivalry between them and the Beemers. Do it. Should make for good stable mates.
  2. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL - farmed out the Hog, but taking on the rusted remnants of a Beezer . . . :lol3

Ray - I think you need to find another dealer or check for on-line dealers. I have a couple of older Buells as does a friend of mine, and we never have any issues sourcing parts from our local Pocono HD dealer. They even have the old paper catalogs to dig out the old number to start the search process for superseded numbers.

Pics of the BSA??
  3. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob, I know what you're thinking, but this pile of stuff is really rough. It might get parted out. More likely it will sit in my basement till the estate sale.

OTOH, for the crowd I have sort of fallen in with, a vintage kickstand (in possession) is the start of a new build, and they look at it as a reason to go to swap meets and to search constantly on-line for whatever else it takes to turn it into a whole bike . . . actually, there is a kickstand in this pile.

I guess I would need to end this epic 'Barn Twins' thread. Maybe it could be 'Barn Twins Part II'. The thing is, I need to get my RD250 going, and I suppose that would need to be in the Two Smokers forum.

I'd like to have a Beezer, disston. The thing is, I know where there are a couple that are a lot closer to viable than this pile of parts. To justify bringing in another real bike though, I would need to get rid of one I already have. Bringing in this pile of parts for the shelves isn't like actually getting another real bike. :evil

Hi Jim. I do look at a couple of on-line Harley Dealers. Also, a cooperative parts person has the ability to look into other dealers' inventory all over the country and provide contact info for them. I have the old paper parts book and the service manual for this bike, so I can look up the part numbers and start searching for superseded numbers. This FXRS must be just enough older than your Buells that Harley forgot they ever built it. Sometimes the aftermarket stuff is O.K. too, but the whole process is way more of a hassle than it should be for a bike that is only 26 yrs old.

I'll get some pictures of the BSA remnants posted soon.
    Disston likes this.
  4. David4

David4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still in, I know it will eventually end well! :lurk
  5. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know where we can follow the BSA build!
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    You are full of great ideas Sir. A little devious sometimes but good stuff. :-)
  7. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent some time sorting through the pile of BSA parts that I dragged home. Here's a picture from Randy's Cycle Service to show how a 1968 650 Lightning should look:

[​IMG]

And here's what I brought home. You may notice some basic differences. :lol3

[​IMG]

This one was a chopper at some point, as you can see from the handlebars, Cal Custom seat, and extended forks, with what they used to call a chopper tweak bar still attached. The chrome plated lower sliders and bottom triple are other signs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least the TLS front brake is still there, but I can't make this pile into a roller without the top triple tree, which is absent.

[​IMG]

More pieces are missing from the rear axle that also prevent roller status. This bike had a QD (Quick Detach) rear hub (if interested in more info on that, click here).

[​IMG]

Although the wheels look pretty horrible, my Triumph wheels came to me in the same condition. I got those stripped and re-plated, but it is a lot cheaper to just buy new re-pop rims and Buchanan spokes. I did try some crumpled aluminum foil and Coca Cola to see how this mess would respond. It is amazing how quickly that works, but some spots on this wheel are too far gone:

[​IMG]

Notice the British made Dunlop Gold Seal tires. I am guessing that this bike was only starting on its second set of tires when it expired. It shows about 12,000 miles on the clock. The aged tires still have a lot of tread. Just for grins, I aired them up to 30 psi, and they are holding steady. That's pretty good for tubes that are likely about 45 yrs old!

This looks like the cause of this train wreck:

[​IMG]

The other piston looked just fine, relatively speaking, but they both went out with the trash pickup today. Both had very rusty wrist pins soundly stuck halfway in them. Actually, since this is a BSA, I suppose those are called rusty gudgeon pins.

There are two sets of jugs, but no crankshaft or rods:

[​IMG]

I cleaned enough rust from the bores to measure the size. This set is bored to .020" over. The other is still at standard, but is rusted about the same as this picture.

There are also two dual carb heads:

[​IMG]

And one T-Bolt single carb head for good measure:

[​IMG]

Although these are badly corroded, there is not a single broken cooling fin anywhere, which is kind of surprising!

Sadly, the worst corrosion on the cases is at the joint face. They maybe could still be saved and sealed.

[​IMG]

Here's the watermelon stuck together without benefit of hardware. There must be a 5 gallon bucket of CEI bolts, nuts, and washers somewhere, but it is still hiding.

[​IMG]

The case number matches the frame number, and they don't look suspicious, but the title is just as absent as the fuel tank and side covers.

The oil tank is still there, and the cap is fortunately still in place to keep the water out. The oil tank looks pretty good on first inspection.

[​IMG]

So, there it is -- my latest numbers matching barn twin! :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]

I figure with an investment of maybe $6,000, I could end up with a nice $4,500 bike. For now, I guess it will wait till I decide what to do with it.

When I was looking at this pile of parts, I called a friend who has a bunch of Brit bikes (and parts) and told him he should come get this stuff and save me from it. He said, "Nooo, I have too much already and I sure don't need more, but if YOU are standing there next to a numbers matching basket case, you absolutely can't just turn and walk away!"
    Cogswell and globalt38 like this.
  8. hoodellyhoo

hoodellyhoo Dummy

Oddometer:
    :amazonCmon! You know you want to build it!

Then I could use your build thread as a roadmap for working on my A50
    bpeckm likes this.
  9. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ray do you know if they still raced Bsa's at the Peoria TT in the late 70's? For some reason I seem to remember that. My brother had a Bsa chopper around the early 70's. Maybe that is his. I'm sure his ended up in Carbondale though!
  10. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Is all of that missing hardware Whitworth?

If you wish to drown don't punish yourself with shallow water. - Bulgarian Proverb
    OdyBandit likes this.
  11. washpark

washpark Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding corrosion at the joint face... it's going to leak anyhow, right?
  12. washpark

Oddometer:
    We replaced a lot of Whitworth case bolts with US coarse Allen bolts back in the seventies.
  13. mr jazzbo

mr jazzbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay Ray,

You must have knocked out that kitchen project pretty fast if your already buying parts to sit on the shelf?

Jim
  14. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's how my brother checked the oil on his, if it wasn't leaking better add a little. I think the theory on the British bikes was that the old factories that they were produced in had no heat in the winter so if you mated a part produced in the winter with one made in the summer the tolerances would be at the opposite limits. Or something like that. Good luck with this one Ray, looks like a challenge.
  15. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    You go first. I double dog dare you! :-)

Not sure about the late 70's at the TT, Ody. This pile of parts could very well be your brother's old chopper. If you want to buy it back and surprise him with it, I will deliver it to you at no additional charge.
    :lol3 :lol3

disston, from a USA perspective, yes that is what it would typically be called. The switch to SAE fasteners started, I think, in 1969, but some say it actually began in 1968 -- a little bit. It went on for years. This is a very simplistic answer. For the detailed version, you could click here for starters.

Probably not -- Hondabond 4 is great stuff. :clap

These case joints may be a challenge though, even for Hondabond.

Yikes!

Actually . . . no, but my next door neighbor got his done this spring, if that counts for anything. The countertop truck was just there yesterday. You know how it is -- parts often show up when they feel like it. Truth is, the four "running" bikes have been getting all my attention. They all seem to need something all the time. House work comes yet this year -- I hope.

Yeah, this pile of stuff looks like too much of a challenge, as in -- there is too much missing. I'm really not actively pursuing it, and I probably shouldn't have even brought this stuff home.

Photobucket is down right now, or I would post up some pictures of BSA's I would rather have. They are all pretty much complete and really were "running when parked". They've been parked long enough to put them into project status though.

In any case, I still have a couple of Japanese bikes to do -- after the house gets done. :fpalm
  16. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I don't know how I ever had time to work, there is so much to do now that I'm retired....."
    Anon.
    globalt38 and fxray like this.
  17. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are some more likely BSA's to go after. Any one of them would be just great with a little attention:

'66 Lightning:

[​IMG]

Thunderbolt with a hack:

[​IMG]

'70 Thunderbolt:

[​IMG]
  18. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    I seem to keep drifting further toward the dark side. First I got involved with a BMW, and now this latest thing. It wouldn't have happened except the Harley needs the oil lines replaced. I can't lift it up with my bike jack because the jack would block access to the lines running underneath the engine. I started working with the bike on the floor, but it was a miserable mess. I started thinking . . . bike lift. :fpalm

I know where there is a nice air-over-oil Handy Lift for sale that even has the wings on it, but I don't have the floor space for that. A string of chance occurrences led me to a HF lift on Craig's List that was just like new. I got it for $200. The seller said he had used it three times; it didn't suit him; he wanted his garage space back!

So, Saturday morning I went to get it with the van. Just as the seller and I were about to try to lift it, three burly guys that he didn't know (he had just recently moved into his new house) came walking into his garage to warn him that there had been a burglary in the neighborhood the night before. He thanked them, and I joined in with, "Oh, my mistake. I thought you guys just came over here to help us load this 300 pound bike lift!"

So, that worked out quite well! :lol3 :lol3

After a rattling, clattering ride home, I put my old wooden bike ramp up to the back door of the van, and my wife and I slid the lift out and down the ramp with no trouble. It rolled pretty easily into the garage on its steel casters.

The pluses of buying this thing used:
    • It was, in all respects, just like new.
    • I did not have to go to the HF store!
    • I did not have to pry open, nor dispose of the crate.
    • There was no assembly required.
    • It was $130 cheaper than the Memorial Day weekend sale price, not counting sales tax.
    • There was no sales tax involved.
    The negatives:
    • I had promised myself I was done with anything from Harbor Freight!
    • My garage is looking awfully Chinese pink -- even more so now.
    I had planned to spend the day out on my FXRS with some Harley riding friends, but that was not going to happen. When one of them showed up, I had this scenario ready.

[​IMG]

I figured I wanted help for the first trip up the ramp.

We got it on there and crudely tied down, but as you all knew already, the tie-down U-bolts are in the wrong place as sold from HF.

[​IMG]

So, I left it at that and took off on the R90/6 instead. See what I mean about pink in the garage?

We took off and had a nice ride to meet up with some other guys for lunch, then headed over to the tractor pull at the Roanoke Grain elevator. Here's the old R90 parked with Harleys and Jeeps and maybe lending a touch of class. :D

[​IMG]

And here are a few tractors that some of you old timers may recognize:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Farmall 560's brought back memories. I spent many hours behind the wheel on a few of those back before I was old enough for a driver's license. It hardly seems possible, but they are about the same vintage as my TR6R, now 53 yrs old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hooking up to the sled:

[​IMG]

Making the pull:

[​IMG]

They graded and packed the strip after each pull:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then another nice ride through the county roads and back home. I drilled some holes in the lift and moved the rearmost pair of the U-bolts up to the front of the table as a marginal improvement. That at least gets the strap pulling forward against the front stop, and gets the strap buckles away from the fuel tank. I added one more (HF) strap, then up in the air she went:

[​IMG]

Pulling off the exhaust (that the hired wrench had just put back on) made the oil lines way more accessible. The heat shields were not quite positioned the way I like them anyway. I quit at that point because the formed oil hoses are NLA from Harley, and AutoZone was closed. I need some of their bulk fuel line to use for oil hoses. It should work just fine -- that's what I have been running on my TR6R for the past four years (in spite of what some doomsayers have told me).

Today I went and got the oil hose, but sort of struck out on getting more U-bolts. It doesn't really matter, but I'd sort of like them all to be the same. HF has cheapened their tables again and gone with lesser U-bolts -- noticeably different. I looked on-line a bit and was surprised to see that M9 U-bolts are rather thin on the ground. I guess I will add some 3/8" - 16 ones, but I hate to mix. I could just drill some holes and leave it at that, but -- well, you know.
    Cogswell and OdyBandit like this.
  19. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got you just fine on "the mix".... I had to replace some M-ubolts on my sidestand with some, ahem...., muffler clamps from Napa.... they work, just don't tell anybody. The notion of mixing M and SAE.... ouch!
  20. washpark

Oddometer:
    I probably would not have finished the second and third rounds on the R90 without my HF lift. Seems like the bike was on the lift for two years. I borrowed one that picks up the frame from the side for round one and was afraid it would fall off the whole time. The HF lift lives under my E350 when there is no bike on it. Drilled holes for the original u bolts further forward and no complaints. Toaster Tan, Cutter and Mark Morrissey all appear to use the cheap lifts. Good enough for me. Used is a better deal.