My Barn Twins

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by fxray, Feb 26, 2015.

1. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob, thanks for the comments, but the real inventor is inmate junkcollector who acquired and set up the van in the first place. All I did was find a way to mount the chock. I am grateful that he sold it to me. I got a new set of spark plugs, and a new set of tires, and I'm just loving it!

I understand the concept of the little sign that some people put on their bikes, "If you see this bike on a trailer or in a truck, call the cops -- it's being stolen!" Another one that is popular among people who actually ride their bikes to the Sturgis Rally says, "Hey yuppie, trailers are for boats!" (Do people still use the word "Yuppie" ?)

Yeah, motorcycles are meant to be ridden, not carried, but there are a number of valid exceptions to that rule.
    BoxerD likes this.
  2. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ray, back in the 70's I had a 67 Dodge van with the mid engine slant 6 and a three on the tree. It worked great for my dirt bikes and it had a "Don't laugh your daughter may be inside" bumper sticker. I had a lot of adventures in that rig including a trip to the west coast. I only paid $150 dollars for it and I sure wish I had it back.
  3. washpark

washpark Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you doing with the tie downs? I am expecting an elegant, overkill solution.
  4. washpark

Oddometer:
    My 2003 E350 has 110,000 miles. V8 goes down the Interstate at our crazy western limits of 75 to 80 mph. Heavy duty Bilstein shocks and Michelin AT LTX tires really improved the handling. Mileage is around 13 mpg. It is a good rig. Two wheel drive Sportsmobile conversion.
  5. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    How satisfied are you with the R90 on the Mototote ? Any caveats? I would consider something like that for my '04 4Runner. It has a 7300# tow rating with the V8 so I know it can handle the weight.

Slim
  6. washpark

Oddometer:
    The rack is very substantial and handles the R90 just fine. You will need the heavier duty MTXS rack. I also added the led light kit since a bike cover can obscure my van lights and the rack is hanging off the back. The MotoTote site gives firm guidelines for required vehicle towing capacity and weight on the receiver. The no sway hitch bolt works. I am using Ancra soft straps and ProTaper tie downs with the spring loaded closed hook and a cam lock for the front tie downs. The Ancra straps attach to the handle bars or lower triple clamp. The closed hook is critical to avoid the possibility of a strap releasing if the suspension compresses. I use a high quality MSR ratchet strap with a cam lock adjuster for the center tie down. For the rear wheel tie down I also use an MSR ratchet strap, but it occasionally slips off the tire although I have not seen evidence of the tire moving side to side. I will solve this before my next trip. The bike and rack have no noticeable effect on handling of the van.
  7. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everybody who read this thread and especially to those who left their comments. With the unilateral action taken this week by the miserable scumbags at photobucket, I am done using internet forums. It is impossible yet to fully comprehend the damage that this greedy cluster of people have done to the exchange of information on the internet. It goes beyond motorcycles to every aspect of DIY.

Goodbye to all of you. I enjoyed interacting with you while it lasted.

fxray
  8. Interstatement

Interstatement Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm unaware of this photobucket action, but I'm very sorry to see you go. If you'd be willing to share a non-forum means of contact (email, whatever) either in conversations or a post, I'm surely one of many who would like to glean and share info from time to time. Best wishes to you, and thanks for so many excellent posts!
  9. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    PB will be out of business in no time. No one I know is going to pay $400/year to have their images hosted. See ya, Photobucket! They are run by MORONS.
  10. BMW851

BMW851 Piston Broke

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the entertaining thread Ray, has been a joy watching the /6 being being brought back life so to speak, and throwing in the odd comment.

As for photobucket, thanks for the heads up, guess it's back to dropbox...
  11. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you stop in from time to time, Ray. I feel your frustration, given the amount of work it takes to prepare detailed threads that are contingent on visual content. It's one of the reasons I've been dragging out the decision to post a build thread on my dirt bike creation. Perhaps Photophuckheads will quickly realize their mistake and reverse the damage done, but their actions clearly reveal how vulnerable our work can be in forums. Web/domain hosts are just as nefarious.

Hang in there, Ray. Hope to cross paths with you someday.
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The angst over Photo Bucket's latest move is Internet wide. Watch for PB to be gone before the end of the year.

I hope you will have second thoughts about leaving AdvenRider, Ray. There are other options for hosting photos and while this does nothing to replace those that are lost there is life after PB.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  13. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What? I use SmugMug, which is a siamese-twin to ADVRider, and iirc it's maybe $40 year? Since it's such a yin/yang with ADVR, I keep forgetting to use it for the rest of my images, but have found it useful in my work for being able to share a link to a particular album/group/whatever. This photo/sharing is an infant industry, and I think we all wonder what's going to happen "in the long run" with all this digital stuff. It is SO ephemeral, is it not.... ?

:eekers
    Uke and tallrider like this.
  14. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Google photos app/service is free.
    I figure when Google goes away, lots of stuff will be different.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  15. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update
    Uke, bpeckm and tallrider like this.
  16. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:

It's bad form to quote your own posts, but here I go anyway.
    Back on June 30, 2017, I said:

I reconsidered and decided that I had spent too much time and effort putting this thread together to let some greedy, uncaring doofus at Photobucket wipe it out with one click of his mouse. I wanted this thread to be a reference for others who were following the same path I had been down, and for myself if I needed to remember something about my old bikes.

So . . . What could I do about it?

I decided to take the advice that was splattered like bird droppings all through my thread:

[​IMG]
    Yep -- I updated my account by moving over to Zenfolio.com "to enable 3rd party hosting".

I don't think that was what the guy behind the scene actually had in mind when he wiped out so much information all across the internet and left all those splats in my thread. Here he is, like the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain:

[​IMG]
    After a while, in my mind's eye, I started seeing the splats like this:

[​IMG]
    Well -- I hope nobody is actually doing that!

When I decided to quit this forum, I got a lot of nice comments from people who have been following this thread. Thanks for that!

I've sort of kept lurking here but not posting; I've been too busy fixing broken links (a long, hard, slog) but I'm getting back to it!
    BoxerD, Uke, Square1 and 6 others like this.
  17. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on ya! And all of us who enjoyed your thread and all the future folks who will get help from it thank you.
  18. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ++1!
    BoxerD likes this.
  19. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So glad you going to the trouble to do this. I was thinking over this last weekend i wish I could look at some pics from your thread. Thank you for taking the time. JT
  20. jagarra

jagarra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ray,

Just wonderful news that you decided to stay on the forum and that you are updating all those great links to your project. I really enjoyed following your restoration.
    thanks again for going to all the trouble,

regards,

gerard